Collaborative Tapped horn project

Chris8sirhC said:
thanks for the info. Will the response stay flat over the bandwidth up to 141 watts or so? I'm just starting to use hornresp and cant seem to get it to simulate what the response will be with a set input wattage.

You're welcome!

Well, the response won't look anything like the sim due to the room's effect on it, so all I can say is that in the sim it runs out of Xmax at ~121 W in a corner and that whatever its response is will stay ~the same with increasing power if reproducing sine waves.

Double click on the Eg (voltage) field and a window will pop up to fill out, then recalculate and go to the 'diaphragm displacement' screen, click 'tools'/'sample' and input whatever frequency you want to sample and it will tell you how much the diaphragm is extended. Repeat as required to get to Xmax/whatever.

GM

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3574/tappedhornel7.png

this is what i have drawn up so far. Is this correct?

Assuming that the drawing is correct, it looks like it will have to be a double folded tapped horn, the predicted height in the tapped horn spreadsheet for a single fold is about 9 feet. The predicted dimensions of the double folded tapped horn are width: 39.8cm depth 79.0 cm and height 141.3 cm. Thats assuming that you are using 3/4 plywood and the internal width is 36cm

Chris8sirhC said:
I'm just starting to use hornresp and cant seem to get it to simulate what the response will be with a set input wattage.

Hi Chris8sirhC,

The Maximum SPL tool can be used to calculate the SPL response for a constant input power. Set Xmax to 99.9 mm to ensure that the response is (hopefully) not displacement limited at any frequency. The Sample tool can be used in conjunction with the maximum SPL response chart to check displacement values at specific frequencies.

Kind regards,

David

AndrewT said:
this is an english language site.
No need for put downs.
And more respect for us oldies would be appreciated.

Oh really?! Kind of belaboring the obvious, don't you think?

Regardless, apparently we're divided by a common language. I'm truly shocked that a 19 yr. old in college isn't way more net lingo literate than an old fart like me since 'texting' seems to be their primary mode of communication if what I see on TV, the news, and in my 'hood is any indication.

Anyway, I fail to see how my remark disrespects us 'oldies', but being 62, if you want my respect you're going about it all wrong.

GM

Want to build my first TH

Anyone heard from Erik on how his 38 hz Tangbang TH turned out? I'm looking for a dwg of something I can build as a start for a 6.5" or 8" driver to match a mid front loaded horn. I'd like something with a smaller footprint than most of the stuff I see built with 15s.

I'm taking the lazy approach, sorry.

Jim D.

MiWi, what material did you use to construct your tapped horn? Are there signifigant advantages of it over void free plywood or MDF? I am looking for a lower cost alternative to 3/4'' void free baltic birch plywood since i will be needing 4-6 sheets and each sheet of 5x5 is $64 and a 4x8 of the same is $104

Hi Chris.
We only tried MDF and OSB in different thickness from 3/4 to 1 inch.
OSB turned out to be a "best buy" to my ears.
Ended up with 1inch OSB and next tapepdhorns will be done with the same material.
Its only a little bit chaeper than MDF here in germany.
But for me it´s sounding slightly better than MDF.
Differences to MDF are little though, MDF seems to be sounding a bit more dull.

Never tried plywood.

Michael

i used 18mm mdf for mine and a hell of alot of bracing

regarding the mtx driver mentioned above............

the driver i used was the definimax12 and only has a 6mm xmax that the suggested 24mm mtx would laugh at.

but if u have that much excursion firing into a small chamber isnt it going to get way to pressurized at that much excursion?

the driver may not be able to keep its bl at full excursion, but i guess u do have the headroom and dont have to use it, just wondering

so if it may sound bad at higher excursions maybe 2 lab 12" would be better

Re: Want to build my first TH

Jimmy D. said:
Anyone heard from Erik on how his 38 Hz Tangband TH turned out?

Hi there,
the 38Hz TH were placed in my living room right after the coils arrived. I use them in the range between the conical midbass and the large Eminence TH. They are crossed at 40 and 80Hz with 18dB/oct.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The result is very pleasing to my ears but it's a shame that I did not even measure their response yet.

They play very nice, no matter whether quite or loud. They keep up with the mains very well.

The next thing I'll do is to remove the Klipschorn from my living room. Midbass integration is way better with the 38Hz TH's compared to the Klipschorn.

In the past couple of weeks I listened a lot to the 38Hz TB TH's with and without low end support of the 20Hz Eminence TH.

It was an interesting experience to me, that a real 40Hz low end, as the Tangbands can do, is sufficient for a lot of music. But for HT and electro / synthesizer a further extension is additional fun.

Finally, the TH's made it possible to increase the performance of my system one large step and I can only encourage you to give this nice speaker principle a try.

The plans for all of my TH's can be downloaded from my site.

Erik

MiWi said:
Hi Chris.
We only tried MDF and OSB in different thickness from 3/4 to 1 inch.
OSB turned out to be a "best buy" to my ears.
Ended up with 1inch OSB and next tapepdhorns will be done with the same material.
Its only a little bit chaeper than MDF here in germany.
But for me it´s sounding slightly better than MDF.
Differences to MDF are little though, MDF seems to be sounding a bit more dull.

Never tried plywood.

Michael

If OSB is cheaper than MDF, then it will be much cheaper than Nice Void Free plywood. I did some research of my own last night and OSB is supposed to be just as strong as plywood, without having to worry about any soft spots due to 'bad spots lining up' and it even feels stronger to walk on than plywood. The only real problem people are having with it as far as construction goes is that it loses its water resistant properties along the sides when you cut it. How much less did OSB weigh when compared to mdf?

Re: Re: Want to build my first TH

Volvotreter said:

Hi there,
the 38Hz TH were placed in my living room right after the coils arrived. I use them in the range between the conical midbass and the large Eminence TH. They are crossed at 40 and 80Hz with 18dB/oct.

Hi EriK,

I'm planing on building (with your permission) a pair of your 77hz conical midbass horns and a pair of double folded 20hz TH (not sure on the driver yet).

I read in one of your earlier posts that you weren't happy with the integration of the large eminence TH's with your 77Hz conical midbass horns. IIRC you said that it was easy to pinpoint the location of the TH. Do you think two of the larger TH would solve that problem? Or are you getting boxy colorations with the large TH when using them to cover the 40-80hz region?

Thanks

Steve

Chris8sirhC said:

If OSB is cheaper than MDF, then it will be much cheaper than Nice Void Free plywood.

How much less did OSB weigh when compared to mdf?

I did some research of my own last night and OSB is supposed to be just as strong as plywood.........

True, but you get what you pay for.

Don't know what you read, but OSB has a similar density and stiffness to MDF, so both will weight about the same for a given bulk, which is ~1.39x as dense while being ~3.4x less stiff than BB, Apple or marine grade ply, so to say these are no stronger than MDF or OSB is incorrect by a wide margin, though of course they are better damped.

Note too that MDF and OSB have a much greater specs tolerance than the reference plywoods due to a number of variables that don't affect plywood construction to any appreciable degree, so the differences can be quite a bit greater than the 'best case' disparity I listed.

That said, since THs are typically XO'd at <80 Hz with a high slope order, this puts the cab' Fs high enough that for stationary indoor use I can't think of a good reason not to use either as long as it's well braced with offset divider boards and cross braced on wide spans.

GM

How much less did OSB weigh when compared to mdf?
I did some research of my own last night and OSB is supposed to be just as strong as plywood.........

The MDF and OSB we used had nearly the same densitiy, my OSB th ist slightly heavier compared to the same th in MDF.
Our OSB is noticeable stiffer than the MDF.
But as as GM says, OSB has a great specs tolerance.
The quality you get at our local do-it-yourself stores is crap.
We buy a very high quality OSB direct from wood trader, this is more expensive but a lot better (better stiffness, higher density, better wateresistance).
Michael