Coating+phase plugs to FE167

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

You'd be a guinea pig... not nearly as much visual feedback, wouldn't likely be quite as neat.

dave

I'm not afraid of being a guinea pig, I was the first born, I grew up with it! lol!

I'll hit ya up when the weather warms up, I'm thinking starting with building the Brynn's, followed by eventually tackling a pair of fonkens with sub stands.

Sorry for the ot posts!

-Justin

planet10 said:

You'd be a guinea pig... not nearly as much visual feedback, wouldn't likely be quite as neat.

dave

I could only get the visual feedback by holding the driver very close to a bright lamp...

Ok, the drivers are done. The three last gloss coats were applied to the cone and two (I noticed I forgot a bit the first time so did two coats instead of one...) to the plug. I did not listen to them but here are two pics as ref. It will be a month at least I think before the cabinets are ready for them.

Jeroen

Attachments

• gloss1.jpg
    gloss1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 533
And now a bit OT.

I'm now listening to my FE103S fully EnABL-ed drivers. I'll try to describe my listening experience.

Yesterday I EnABL-ed the drivers and listened to them without the plugs and without the three last gloss coats. The sound was different but it did not sound better per se. It seemed as there was less coherence than I was used to. But... I am not a trained HIFI listener... I do not listen to decay of notes etc, I just enjoy music... When I finished the plugs and put them in the sound changed dramaticaly. It all seemed to fit together with the plugs. I listened to Giovanca and Corinne Baily Rae, (GF's music) and the sound stood as a house, very precise and very spacy. I will try more music this week and report if I find a difference. It might be that I don't notice it though and just continue enjoying the BD-pipes.

A special thanks to Dave, Bud and Ed for the advice, technique and kit!!!

Jeroen

Attachments

• fe103s.jpg
    fe103s.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 550
Jeroen:

IINM, the process is incomplete without the top gloss coats - so they might not be considered "fully" treated. Upon doing so, I think your initial listening impressions may be revised.

Judging by your posted photo, you might want to consider changing the mounting hardware from what looks like socket head cap screws to a low profile button or truss head - something that doesn't protrude above the driver's outer plastic ring.

and AFAIC, if you don't get involved in the minutia of analytical deconstruction of the individual elements that make up the improved musicality that the EnABL treatment can deliver: lucky man

chrisb said:

Small wooden plugs are light enough that a pair or trio of small countersunk flat-head screws make for easy installation/adjustment, but how would you attach the copper pipe to the pole piece?

Hi chris,

I'm not him, But I've been thinking about it lately.

My idea is to close down the copper tube to make it as the front of the plug , then arrange 2 or 3 appropriately sized screw using small amount of hot melt glue, to hold them in position temporarily. The last thing to do is pour in epoxy on the back of the plug then let harden.

chrisb said:
Jeroen:

IINM, the process is incomplete without the top gloss coats - so they might not be considered "fully" treated. Upon doing so, I think your initial listening impressions may be revised.

They now have the three coats. I will do some more listening in the weekend and report back.

Judging by your posted photo, you might want to consider changing the mounting hardware from what looks like socket head cap screws to a low profile button or truss head - something that doesn't protrude above the driver's outer plastic ring.

Funny, for the EnABL I had to take them out of the cabinets so this was the opportunity to replace those ugly flat copper screws with these beautiful black inbus (allen) ones....

I will replace them with flatter ones. Thanks for the advice.

and AFAIC, if you don't get involved in the minutia of analytical deconstruction of the individual elements that make up the improved musicality that the EnABL treatment can deliver: lucky man

:D

JeroenR said:

They now have the three coats. I will do some more listening in the weekend and report back.

For a few weeks I now listen to the enabled FE103s. Well, something changed in the sound for sure. It seems more detailed and bass more controlled but this might be my imagination... One thing I am certain about though : the sound is now more between my speakers instead of directly from them. I think I'm happy with the change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.