• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Claus Byrith 30W PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is good. I was just checking incase something wasn't right.

Do you have a bigger cap. i.e. >.1uf that is rated for at least 150V non polar?

P.S. It seems to me that your meter has a rather low impedance and its impedance coupled with the smaller cap is resulting in signal attenuation at the frequency. A bigger cap will lower the frequency that we can measure. However, if the meter has too low of an impedance then the measurements will not be that good.

Last edited:
Do you have a bigger cap. i.e. >.1uf that is rated for at least 150V non polar?
I have a shopping bag worth of them. Up to 10uF and all non polar and above 150V. Just tell me which value to aim at and I'll se how close I can come.

P.S. It seems to me that your meter has a rather low impedance and its impedance coupled with the smaller cap is resulting in signal attenuation at the frequency. A bigger cap will lower the frequency that we can measure. However, if the meter has too low of an impedance then the measurements will not be that good.
Ok, I read through the manual but couldn't find any info regarding its impedance.

Well, time for an update.
I drove past the local hardware store and bought yet another DMM, one with better AC measurement. I set the bias to 450mV without signal and reset the DC balance on both channels. After that I set the AC balance on them, each valve gave around 15VAC. They are now set so that they differ with less than 5mV.

Since it is after midnight now I'll give them a try with my cheap speakers for an hour or two tomorrow and then try them on my main speakers :)

Tubes are glowing and sending out music and noice (everyone knows that only heavy metal can be defined as music, everything else is noice :D ).

So, to sum up everything I would like to say thank you all (no one mentioned and no one forgotten) for the support and of course an extra special thanks to SGregory without whom the amp would have met Mr hammer a long time ago.

It ended with a 17 pages long support thread and I hope that it will serve as a guide to others.

P1020681Medium.jpg

P1020678Medium.jpg

Very nice system. Excellent work.

P.S. Regardless of the type of music (or noise) I hope you enjoy it. I have learned with my sons to call home ahead of time. When I am at work, they torture my system with their "music". If they know I am almost home they switch back to real music. ;-)

Periodically I do show up unannounced just to see what they are listening to if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Very nice system. Excellent work.
Thanks, most of it is hidden in the bench. That what is not shown is a Asus EEE PC900 netbook running J river media center and controlled via a pda. A Zero-dac, Rod Elliots P88 pre amp, P06 Phono stage, Project 6.5 turntable and last but not least, a sony HT receiver. I didn't want a stac of equipment so this solution seemed like a good idea.

Problem of not knowing the European notation... I think..

Hi friends,
Tis is a very old thread, I don't know whether I will get a response or not...
I wanted to know what are the value of the resistance which are written as 390E or 100E, as used in claus byrith's 4-30 amplifier. Basically, what is this E notation for resistance...
Regards
Srivastava..

The volume control goes in front of the first valve.

Look at the diagram on page 15 as that shows a volume and tone control stage. That part of the circuit could be used or you could build a separate preamp (valve or SS).

Hi, thanks for help and guidance..
Can you please guide me as to what is the use of
Rv28,
Rv30, and
Rv32
One might be for volume and others for tone control.. But which one is for what??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.