Class XD....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi piercarlo

I agree that a resistor load is not as good as a current source load.
But when I sim-compared the Bailey resistor loaded version with an equivalent input emitter-at-mid-rail type of circuit with capacitor decoupler on the feedback, the crossover distortion was lower for the "DC" feedback version.

The resistive bias loading has some elements of "XD" in keeping the upper stage in class A. I agree this is a bit of a trick, but seems to work on Bailey's design which is now about 39 years old.

cheers
John

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Look at it this way:

Cambridge Audio needs to sell amplifiers, just like any other
company, so they decide to do something new, and they talk
to Doug and say "Doug, you're a smart guy and we need
something new with a catchy idea."

So Doug comes up with something that works well enough,
and the boys at Cambridge give it snappy name and tart the
story up a bit, and there you are.

:cool:

TBH if Cambridge want to sell amplifiers they should concentrate on quality control. I've repaired a few of their amps now that have blown up either due to cheap Chinese parts that failed, or inadequate heatsinking.

Does sound a bit gimmicky.

My old ears cant tell the difference between class A,AB or D so I just stick to good old class AB.

current controlled modulation

Adding current controlled modulation to Mr. Self's class XD circuit could be done in a somewhat similar way as making an amplifier's output impedance negative.
Just insert a small (current sensing) resistor (or a complex impedance) between the cold end of the speaker and ground. Disconnect R8=1k (Fig. 11.6b in Mr. Self's book) from ground and connect it to the hot end of the sensing resistor. The voltage drop across the new resistor is the current signal needed to control the displacer.
To reduce power losses and increase the current sensing signal, one could amplify it or use a step-up transformer instead of the resistor.
I've tested both resistor-based versions; they're working but need some refinement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.