Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

I built the Thor's pretty much as originally designed, with the slight added change of a 1/2" piece of MDF about 1/2" smaller than the external cabinet between the 'footer' and the speakers. This was so I could more easily paint under my veneer. I made the bottom part a gun metal color, so it looks like an upside down hammer.

I have no added weight, and they are perfectly stable.

But don't forget the bases are 2-3" wider than the speaker.

I have gone back and read most of the 45 (Gulp) pages of this thread, I found some of the answers to the questions I asked...Sorry.
troystg said:
After hearing the new boxes briefly I would have liked to experiment with front terminus via a longer 4" pipe through the divider and front panel.

Then the boxes would be much less affected by boundaries and more flexible placement.

Reputes have tremendously more bass output and there is no way he could put them near a rear wall or heaven forbid a corner. But then every room is different and they could be moved and adjusted to taste.

front terminus via a longer 4" pipe through the divider and front panel
Thanks, I will be starting these in about 3 weeks, I will post pics. when I have completed the builds.
Ron

Jqwinner,
Let's see a pic of your speakers / Oversized hammers:)
Any commercial speakers compare with the sound quality from the Thors'?
I have an Usher dealer very close to where I live and they make a big deal out of their astronomicly priced line.
What would you change if you were to build them again? Fat Thors?

Imjatse,
Patric, good idea to start a new build thread. I will include photos and mistakes as I proceed......should be amatureceed. :)

Thanks,
Ron

Questions on Thor...Again :)

Jackiinj,
Did you do that for looks or to help with the radiance of the tweeters?
I am just finishing up the AV cabinet I am building, then I will start on the Thors. Can't wait!!!
BTW, what type of driver interconnect cable(s) should I use? I am going to build my own crossovers with ClarityCaps and Alpha Air core inductors. Do resistor brands make a difference like Caps do?

Thanks Jack, I respect your opinion, from past posts you have made.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Byer! I am also from SA (Gauteng) so your comment about the theft and heavier speakers was understood - the Gauteng way... planning on bolting mine to the concrete slab in my living room ;-)

On a more positive note... have you build your Thors yet? How did you go about getting the components to SA?

Panel thickness: There is unfortunately no diminishing theory for panel thickness, unless you go really thick. The 32mm MDF boards has an inherent resonant problem - thus 22 mm is the better option for cabinet construction. Can you remember the AVSA Kit I & II in the 90's from Roy Wittleson (South African Speaker producer)? He can tell you all about the 22 vs 32mm and I still have the article somewhere if you are interested.

Njoy!!!

Hey CNI, I do remember those articles. The kits used the esotec Dynaudio drivers? The D260 tweeter if I am not mistaken & the 20W75 for the Kit 1 & the 17W75 for the kit 2 along with a large dome tweeter. I remember Ron also saying that he had worked for ?Dynaudio? in developing the original concept behind isobarik enclosures.

I also recall Roy mentioning about the 22mm being better due to it not having an inherent resonant frequency. I never quite understood this fully.

I got my drivers in from Madisound. The first set went missing as unusual as that may sound. Remember that you will still have to pay import duties though. Uncle Trevor wants his 1000 pounds of flesh from you!

I unfortunatly STILL have not gotten round to building them. Been a busy year, met a girl, moved to capetown, got married, bought a house, bought a car the list goes on. This is definately a project for the near future though. - I promise

BTW- What are you going to bolt the concrete block to ;)

Hi Guys,
I am currently having the original Thor cabinets built, but as I have read through this thread, I simply couldn't sleep peacefully, thinking that I am building a flawed speaker :)

So I decided, by the end of summer I will build the Fat Thor, Short Thor and Small Thor cabinets, just to see for myself what is really going on.

As for those of you who are wondering, how do Thors compare to the commercial offerings, a friend of mine has built the original Thors and he has them compared very closely to a Tannoy and a JBL speakers, both costing 3000 euros a piece (6k/pair) and he says Thor is better.
Commercial speakers are way overpriced.

Of course, audio is all matter of taste :)

Anyway, I will be posting once I have listening impressions of various Thor designs (unfortunately I don't have any measurement tools).

Regards

Hi Guys,

Today I visited a friend who has made the original Thor (D'Appolito) cabinet.

WOW, I'm out of words. They HAVE BASS!!!

It can be felt as a wave through the whole room, he played a test tone CD, the door to the room (a crappy one, legacy from the communist regime here in Bulgaria) resonated when he played 30 Hz. Nice!

He also played a 25Hz tone, which was audible, albeit not very loud, but 20Hz tone wasn't audible, I only felt the pressure in the room.

I can only look forward to Fat Thor and his companions Mr. Short and Mr. Small :devilr: .

Anyway, he told me he assembled the cabinets for a month and has tried stuffing for 3 whole months, but he didn't fill the whole cabinet as in AudioXpress, he has put stuffing on the sides only (not the inside).

I guess I will have a whole lot of experimenting, I hope I can do side by side listening between any of the Thors (I will ask him to bring home his drivers and crossover).

I will definately keep you informed

Regards:)