Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Well, here's a first test -- as #1 son hasn't yet picked up the DuPont Centari auto paint so these things are still MDF brown -- I ran a test in the back yard -- this is 1 watt, 1 meter -- obviously there's some adjusting that has to go on. FWIW the internal volume is around 5,100 cubic inches -- 36 inches long with a rhombic prism of approximately 141 square inches -- I used 0.35 #/ cu ft of polyester fill:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

when I cranked these babies up at 31.5kHz the crickets and cicadas started chirpin' their legs off:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry, no anechoic chamber

Are you using the crossover that comes with the kit, or did you make/mod one?

Looking at the graph of the W18 it looks to me like the bottom end was really helped out. Looking back in time...

Back in this thread...

Your result seems to most closely match the fat thor with the slight ripple. FWIW fat thor's internal volume is about 6250 cu in.

And a stupid newbie question about measurement in general. After the cross over point moving up, aren't you really just measuring the tweeter's on axis response? Since the boxes and BSC wouldn't seem to matter. I noticed you cut your chart off at 1000 and was wondering if that was the reason.

And one more, what are you using to measure? I am close to finishing my short thors and wouldn't mind trying to get some simple numbers. I am curious to see about room gain as my living room is theater shaped. And mostly I just want to fidget.

imjatse said:
I am curious to see about room gain as my living room is theater shaped. And mostly I just want to fidget.

Obviously you haven't taken your Ritalin yet :)

The pair of woofers continue to put out well past 1kHz -- I was just trying to show the dips at 80 and 250 Hz.

I used the xo's from Madisound since I have them in hand. instead of white noise I used the Boonton to make 1/3rd octave measurements and set output of the amplifier precisely -- measuring outside is a PITA, but that's all I can do. my SPL meter can take RS-232 instructions which will make this process go a lot faster.

I'd suggest turning the speakers over, woofers down closer to the ground plane to get another perspective. There is probably some ground plane cancellation going on there, as you probably know. Mic at the same location and also on the ground plane would be interesting.

Nice work,
Pete B.

jackinnj said:
Well, here's a first test -- as #1 son hasn't yet picked up the DuPont Centari auto paint so these things are still MDF brown -- I ran a test in the back yard -- this is 1 watt, 1 meter -- obviously there's some adjusting that has to go on. FWIW the internal volume is around 5,100 cubic inches -- 36 inches long with a rhombic prism of approximately 141 square inches -- I used 0.35 #/ cu ft of polyester fill:

when I cranked these babies up at 31.5kHz the crickets and cicadas started chirpin' their legs off:

sorry, no anechoic chamber