Circular Baffle for Voigt Pipes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TC said:
>>Do you have measurements for your speakers?

==I have done measurements in shaping of the horncavities..

==Define the problem....

The *problem*(the one I think you are trying to establish) -needs-, and has -yet- to be established.

"baffles are easy" sure they are - if you just want them to look pretty and sell.

==Apparently.

TC

I see, you haven't, can't, are unwilling, to measure the problem (that will cause *-6-9 db peaks and valleys and is clearly audible)
so who cares???? Maybe the guy that wants to copy it? That was my point.

later,

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Is it pretty much accepted that a spiral horn works? That the different path lengths are OK? This would indicate the the augar in a tube type spiral horn might work well too

The beauty of the spiral horn is that all 4 sub horns are exactly the same except for orientation.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

I have come in on this late, but to address the original question.
When I was running a big pair of mass loaded voight (6 ft tall), I had my drivers mounted on a 14inch circular baffle with the driver mounted slightly off centre. I then had a small horn tweeter mounted to the side of the main Isophon driver, within the baffle.
The result of having the baffle was to fill out the sound significantly. Definately a mod to include as it was visually good and made a good contribution to the sound. Baffle step circuits are the other way to go, but they are wasteful of power and degrade the pure signal.

Shoog

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
So, on that latest baffle speaker with the 4 spiral horns: why are 4 small horns better than one big one? Would one bigger horn witth A single opening couple to the room better for lower bass?

In this case it allows the entire use of the circumferal edge of the box as a mouth... incrediably ekegant. Dividing into smaller sub horns also discourages the formation of longer standing wave/resonances -- this goes back to the multi-cel horn we see in vintage JBL/Altecs.

dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Spiral Horn -PLD

planet10 said:

I put a record on and sit-down and enjoy...

dave

What a cop out. This is like saying anyone that uses a three way doesn't enjoy the music.

So what single speaker design makes all three-way speaker designs a-musical?

I've built/heard quite a few single driver systems and have never heard one that has enough bandwith quality in the extremes (Jordan, Lowther, Fostex, Phy, ect..) to fullfill my obsession with quality reproduction. But I surely can't sit here and say the better examples didn't keep me from enjoying the music. I enjoy the music just fine with my KLH table radio - but it just doesn't do-it-all like my big rig. On the other hand if the single driver loudspeaker had a good seperate bass and treble system (like using the single driver as a mid) they became much more fullfilling. Lower distortion, better dynamics, much less cone breakup, better power handling, better dispersion, ect.... Don't like passive crossovers? Triamp.

Its a very very well designed 3 way that sounds better than a full ranger with a supertweeter crossed in at well above 10K. In my small experience if you allow the crossover lower than this its very hard to get a satisfactory result. As for bass, if you can live with big speakers then most of the 10inch full rangers will not let you down in a "big" well designed cab.

Any crossover eats up wattage and so moves you out of the super detailed small wattage amplifier designs.
IMHO 3 ways suck big time.

Shoog

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spiral Horn -PLD

Magnetar said:
What a cop out.

Not at all, just a response to the perceived aggressiveness of your post(s)

So what single speaker design makes all three-way speaker designs a-musical?

A typical 3-way, has XOs where they get in the way, passive XOs that "suck the life out of the music" and dome tweeters -- i've pretty much given up on them...

On the other hand if the single driver loudspeaker had a good seperate bass and treble system (like using the single driver as a mid) they became much more fullfilling. Lower distortion, better dynamics, much less cone breakup, better power handling, better dispersion, ect.... Don't like passive crossovers? Triamp.

I've long been a proponent of what i call a "mostly-full range" speaker system. Take a full-range speaker that can be enjoyed in its own right, and extend it's performance with an active woofer and a super-tweeter. But if you can't enjoy the middle driver by itself, then the entire system will suffer.

dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spiral Horn -PLD

planet10 said:

Not at all, just a response to the perceived aggressiveness of your post(s)

I've long been a proponent of what i call a "mostly-full range" speaker system. Take a full-range speaker that can be enjoyed in its own right, and extend it's performance with an active woofer and a super-tweeter. But if you can't enjoy the middle driver by itself, then the entire system will suffer.

dave

You just described what you perceived as 'aggessiveness' from me.

Later:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.