• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Circlotron questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is modified schematic :

Different values of two Rx bootstrap resistors well change Ecc99 voltage gain value , same is valuable if you connect two GNFB Rfb=Rfb resistors .

Attachments

• Simple Circlotron Amp.jpg
    Simple Circlotron Amp.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 228
tinitus

Low percent of inserted GNFB ( 2-6 Db ) is just one possible option , normally this type of amp sounds good without any inserted GNFB loop .
If you have some indication that Ecc99 is low quality tube than 12bh7 is good replacement , or 6sn7 , or even Ecc82 , anyway I don`t think that this circuit will be hard working place for Ecc99 tube !
Blumlein garter circuit for input ecc99 tube ? , or some other Blumlein circuit ? can you attach specific schematic please ?

Last edited:
I see now , it is Blumlein garter circuit !

Place to try to insert low percent of negative feedback is to ad third small value resistor (47 - 100 ohm )in series with each upper two cathode resistors to ground , than each feedback loop well be connected in that two node , this solution must be checked by practical probe ,empirical ! , since it is easy to get nasty oscilation beacose Blumlein garter circuit is cross coupled type .

Yes to skip GNFB is OK for Amp sonic , each triode strapped EL34 allready works there with 100% of local NFB .
This circuit works with fixed bias just fine , but to extra increase bias ( anode currents ) is not necessary since Circlotron output power circuit don`t produce crossover distortion almost to very lean class B bias , there is no DC flow present in autoformer coil .
But is very sensitive to unbalanced AC drive , that`s is the reason why I propose differencial driver circuit , diff driver circuit keep AC balance drive almost 100% symmetrically .
For the best sonic results will be Ecc99 diff. driver with inserted CCS instead of 100K trimpot .

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
But is very sensitive to unbalanced AC drive , that`s is the reason why I propose differencial driver circuit , diff driver circuit keep AC balance drive almost 100% symmetrically.

For the best sonic results will be Ecc99 diff. driver with inserted CCS instead of 100K trimpot .

the ccs have been there, earlier

Attachments

• Autoformer Cathode Coupled Circlotron.jpg
    Autoformer Cathode Coupled Circlotron.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 466
Banat,
Rethink your voltages and gain of each stage. The last proposed will clip at just a few volts out due to clipping of driver stage. The ECC99 will only have an Ua in the of ballpark of 100V at best. I you remove the input stage and drive the ECC99 at0V potential it will maybe give you 20Vptp into 8ohm at a few % THD.

EDIT Haha, Jane our post crossed.

Last edited:
The drawback of DC-coupling V1 to V2/V3 is that this will reduce the plate-cathode voltages of V2/V3. You will lift the cathode voltages (Vk2/Vk3) with the DC from the plate of V1 throw away some precious Vak needed for voltage swing.

Voltage swing is not the problem since driver tube anodes is bootstrapped , connected to opposite EL34 anode .

Best Regards !

Last edited:
Hey Banat,

Have you analyzed the swing needed?

Swing from the driver will be a limiting factor with the LTP and DC-connection.

You must take very opportunity you can to maximise it.

Even when bootstrapped and with ECC99 grid referensed to ground the driver will not be far from clipping before the outputstage.

Unfortunately 1,6k Ra-Ra seems to be on the high side and will probably not even give 10W out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.