Chokes for SE class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is a BIFILAR choke they somehow work differently. There was a little talk about
this in a thread about using a choke input filter for the zen amp. Someone had found
bifilar choke that looked good for a choke input filter and was informed it just wouldn't work. But back to the discusion of size. I have a 12A 4.8mh choke and it's
about the same size as that one in the picture.

I'd be surprised if Hammond would be willing to risk their reputation with false or misleading performance data. The choke is supposedly wound with large gage wire. Judging from the impedance, I'd be incline to believe them.

The choke never overheats, unlike my hand wound choke (11 gage wire) which ran up to 90C and didn't offer as much bass.

At any rate, these units sound excellent in my little amplifiers.

That is a BIFILAR choke they somehow work differently.
Bifilar is nothing special.
You can use serial, paralel or balanced the wires.
I serial the induction will be doubled.
In paralel the induction wilbe halved. etc.

I have a 12A 4.8mh choke and it's
about the same size as that one in the picture.
I have also one somethig like yours. Made with an EI150 iron and wery thick wire.

Tyimo

Last edited:
Right on both accounts. With an air gap the inductance is 50mH. I have one and it reproduces music very well down to 100hz or so. If I build amps for the sole purpose of reproducing midbass and up, then that's the way I'd go. Problem is, you have to purchase in $1000.00 minimum lots, and the 300mH is all I could afford at the time. The 300mH does an extremely fine job in my particular application (cascode with the tranny in follower mode). Ellen, my golden eared sweetie, swears it's the best sounding amp I've built so far--one can learn a lot from Nelson Pass' tutorials.

I think I have figured out the answer to my own question.

End-stacking two inductors is the equivalent of two sets of windings on the same core. Double the number of windings should quadruple the inductance (which it does). Reversing the magnetic polarity improves the AC saturation, but not the DC saturation. Therefore I don't think it is the best solution for a SE class A amplifier.

The choke in #18 looks like an AC powerline choke, and may not do well with a bunch of SE class A idling current. If anyone has an idea (or can link to a discussion) of how to evaluate an AC choke for this use, please share it with me.

It looks like I need something like this (for 400hz 16 ohm) :

Digi-Key - CH-2-ND (Manufacturer - CH-2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.