Chokes for SE class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does this sound like a reasonable idea to try for the constant current choke on a single-ended class A amplifier?

"there is a trick that can actually increase the inductance and mostly cancel core saturation. Take two I-cores, stack them end to end, the closer the better (epoxied together for long term use is best), and run them in reverse magnetic polarity while in series. This can allow you to use a smaller initial value of inductor, and keep core saturation to a minimum. For instance if your goal is 10 mH, you don't need two 5 mH inductors, but more like two 3 to 4 mH inductors, the exact value depends on how closely coupled the cores are.

If you had inductors rated to handle say, 5 amps each, when configured in this manner, they might be able to take 15-25 amps or so, depending on how well matched and positioned the cores are.

Ideal implementation has two bobbins on a single long laminated core, no air gap losses then." (Jon Risch)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"big thanks Jon , I found two 1mH Madisound steel core inductors and twisted the leads to put them in series. I'm not sure if I got all the permutations available as I didn't change the lead connection - but did change one core's orientation.

Inductance measured ~2.1mH with cores spaced, 1.75mH with in one butted position, and 4.15mH in the other. Did I leave out something as one position was double the inductance? Out of the conditions tested which one is the preferred?" (Fred I)

Last edited:
This has been talked about before. Nelson even has an example of this in the ZEN 7
article found at Passdiy.com. But as Magura pointed out for good base responce you
will need a large inductor 50mh might do for use in a midrange amp. And large inductors tend to be hard to find and expensive!

I guess I should have given more detail, the question was really about the winding technique and core saturation in a DC application.

Do any of you know the answer to that?

"Well, you need much higher inductance. 2 x 80mH is barely enough."

Thanks, I think most people can figure that out.

How much inductance do you think is actually needed for a high frequency amp (400hz and up)? How about for a VHF amplifier (4Khz and up)?

Hi Carpenter!
Could you show a picture about it?
I can't believe this specs! 300mH/50A with 0.018ohm DCR???

Tyimo

Here she is at about 14 lb or so:

Attachments

• Hammond H301234 choke.JPG
    Hammond H301234 choke.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 178
Thanks Carpenter!
I am realy sorry, but I don't believe that such a small choke can operate with 50A RMS. Even not on 10A!
Its mean ca. 70A! As I seen the wire is too thin and the iron is too small. It will saturate soon. Heve you ever tested this Choke?? Has it enough airgap??
Tyimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.