CHN-50 starring in uMar-KenSET - 3D Printed version

I designed my own a few months ago but rather than waste filament I printed hollow walls and filled them with Plaster of Paris mixed with PVA glue. It was my first attempt at a serious design and my ADHD led to the serious oversight in compensating for the driver and port volumes. I've been using them to mostly listen to electronic music (Tangerine Dream, Johannes Schmoelling etc.) and they sound amazing, but rock and metal sound a little hollow, which I think is down to the volume being lower than it should be.

My experience is that cone area matters for rock and metal. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, the CHN-50 has a very small cone area but what bass there is, is pretty well controlled but the speaker was only designed with an fb at around 85Hz, which won't make anyone soil their pants while pulling an air guitar face-melter. I doubt they'd even blow out a candle in front of them but I like the sound, and I like the price for the experimentation. There is a lot of room for improvement, which I want to try before moving up to bigger and/or multiple drivers but I need to learn to walk before running.

I've been wondering what effect the filled walls have as well and wonder whether there's some resonance there but think it will be quite high frequency. Hexibase uses printed infill on his speakers as well and the @stee-b print walls are so thick the total mass is more than a typical filament spool so I'm guessing he's using an MMU (Multi Material Unit) on his Bambu-Lab to cope with run-out (a printer that's on my wish list despite owning 7 others). My speakers are targetting 3.2l, so I think a bit larger than the uMar-KenSet, with a limit of 1kg of material for the shell, hence the thinner, filled walls, at least until I can get my MMU sorted, rather crazily called the Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder.

Reactions: 1 user