Chip Amp Photo Gallery

I also grabbed some special purpose chips for grins and giggles. spectrum analyser chips that are easy for the arduino to interface to. you feed analog into one pin and then clock-out (7 times) some frozen analog values that represent the ampl. level in that bandpass freq band. you need a cpu with a/d (arduino does that) and you just cycle thru the 7 analog values and plot the display on an lcd ;)

I plan to have that as an alternate later on.

first problem is: how to best 'sense' the speaker level out and not affect the sound (at all) and also avoid having common grounds on the digital side vs the dual rail voltages that the amp uses. (just cap couple both spkr wires to an op-amp or something high-z?)

has anyone done any work on preprocessing sampled analog levels and following the 300ms VU meter spec? if there is existing code, I'll use it; but if not, I'll write it myself.

spectrum display chip I will later use:

Seven Band Spectrum Analyzer Chip

but not for use with the VU meter project. the spectrum display needs at least a 4x20 lcd display, really.

then again, if you use a bitmap lcd display (not hitachi style) then you could use this chip as a front end, have the cpu process it and send the output as 'summed' data (all 7 bands) to the L and R vu meter graphical widgets OR to some histogram display that keeps that data in the 7 buckets and shows in true histogram format.

I'm not sure I'd like meter widgets when cheap meters that are dc-driven probably look better; but if you plan to use the SA feature you need to do away with meter movements and use a bitmap display instead.

Here is my contribution to this great forum. Ive bitten the audio DIY bug and ive not only assembled a gainclone but also assembled a dac and preamp to go with it. and the sound is phenomenal

Attachments

• 245 (768x1024).jpg
    245 (768x1024).jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 2,311
  • 244 (1024x768).jpg
    244 (1024x768).jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 2,184
  • 243 (768x1024).jpg
    243 (768x1024).jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 2,112
  • 240 (1024x768).jpg
    240 (1024x768).jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 241 (1024x768).jpg
    241 (1024x768).jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 535
  • 242 (1024x768).jpg
    242 (1024x768).jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 607
  • 239 (1024x768).jpg
    239 (1024x768).jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 236 (1024x768).jpg
    236 (1024x768).jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 408
  • 235 (1024x768).jpg
    235 (1024x768).jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 551
  • 234 (1024x768).jpg
    234 (1024x768).jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 557
Heatsinks inside boxes again!!!

my another gainclone amp,..
have an extra pair of lm1875, then built it with very low cost component :)
some of them are picked up on broken kitchen ware and computer parts.

Please everybody here!
CPU heatsinks need to be blown by a fan, they are not designed for natural convection cooling.
A heatsink inside a box cannot get rid of heat. The heat MUST be able to escape SOMEHOW!
Heat rises. Don't expect it to crawl out of holes in the bottom of a case.

PLEASE! Spend just 5 minutes reading-up how heatsinks work. Your chips will love you for it!
Frank

Last edited:
Please everybody here!
CPU heatsinks need to be blown by a fan, they are not designed for natural convection cooling.
Well, not really them all. I run one of these without a fan, ok there's a fan on the front panel but it is more than 10 inches away, and because it's running at about 5v the effect is more of a convection designed system.

Thermalright HR-02 Passive Heatsink Preview

This paired with a good noise-isolating case makes a very convenient PC for audio playback.
You have to put your ear next to the case in order to notice that the computer is ON. I have to do that way because I disconnected the front LEDs (I left it on while sleeping, it's placed 1m away from the bed. Light can be disturbing, noise is not existant :D )

Of course this works better with 2-core processors (not quads) and low-consumption versions (pretty much lower heat). Today's processors underclock themselves while having light loads (like playing music), so they still run pretty cool.

Regards,
Regi

Prophetmaster's Class A Integrated Amplifier

Prophetmaster's 20 W / 4 Hom Class A Integrated Amplifier with 41xBUF634T output

Already placed here photos without the case, now - it is completely ready:)

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Inside.JPG
    Inside.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 990
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 644
  • Resize of IMG_3093.jpg
    Resize of IMG_3093.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 582
  • With Nak.jpg
    With Nak.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 588
  • Inside2.JPG
    Inside2.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 640
How does it sounds? I planned a similar idea some months ago.

Just one thing, I don't think this is really class A at 20W. This is 40W with 2 channels. A Nelson Pass' F5 provides a near number, 27W per channel, and you really need like 20x times the amount of heatsinks you have.
What amount is the bias?

Regards,
Regi

This amplifier has transited already many tests - responses very good.
You are right - for 4 Ohm really class A - up to 11.5 W output, 8 Ohm - up to the maximum output (10 W)
Power consumption: 75 W without a signal
Current without a signal:+/-850 мА
The maximum current in loading (class A) - 1.7 А
Maximum output current - 10 A (Long-time), 16 A (short-term)
Foto from last tests:) CD Mark Levinson, Speakers Montana WAS. It's U. Makarov audiosystem, Moscow. Its system and monster-amplifiers by which it does, are known in Russia and far outside of Russia.

Attachments

• Resize of Parter.JPG
    Resize of Parter.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 2,084
  • Resize of System UM.jpg
    Resize of System UM.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 2,025
Last edited:
Prophetmaster what a great work! Congrats!
Just a question, I'm confused. There isn't any problem by fitting those toroids like that?
I thought that wasn't allowed one over the other. Well, aparently there's no problem :) as you already tested and said it works great, I'm just asking if there's a minimum distance allowed between them or not, due to magnetic fields, etc.

Nice work, and merry christmas to you all.

Just a question, I'm confused. There isn't any problem by fitting those toroids like that?
I thought that wasn't allowed one over the other. Well, aparently there's no problem :) as you already tested and said it works great, I'm just asking if there's a minimum distance allowed between them or not, due to magnetic fields, etc.

Thank you very much!:cheers:
There is no problem by fitting those toroids like that!
The minimum distance isn't impotant. The spacer from rubber of 2-3 mm between the toroids is necessary.
Merry christmas to you all too:santa:

I had a JRDG Model 2 that had both toriods mounted in an aluminum cylinder.. It worked well but I don't know if there was a metal barrier in between them.

You can just barely see it here:

http://www.jeffrowland.com/img/M2-front.jpg