Chinese/Taiwan 4” Dual Cone Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried these in the 4 stacked per channel shallow cabinets a la E.J. Jordan style with their 2" full rangers?
Seems like you'd get a less expensive more efficient version with these.
Or, since I have 2 pair already, does anyone know if these are suitable for a simple z horn?

please help me: tomorrow i need to cut the wood for the 4" and i cannot figure what is the diameter, 94mm?
i still not have the speaker yet.
thanks

Attachments

• 1096977847_504.jpg
    1096977847_504.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 527
Almost certainly a Guide Sound (the people who make the Audio Nirvana drivers) unit. Slightly different to the AN drivers, but based on the stated figures similar inasmuch as there are few quality reflex alignments available, and those that are, are large by current standards. If you want flat, about 19.5ft^3 tuned to 25Hz will get you ~'close enough.' Of course, a flat alignment is very rarely useable in-room, so you'd probably need to drop Fb to about 20Hz for something more practical. Sealed, TL or leaky sealed (what's often called aperiodic) would be preferable.

L.Cao surround construction

Not the 4" in the thread title, but in the same "China" category - I received my L.Cao 6" FC6 speakers and wanted to post up something I noticed about their surround that I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere. The cone and surround are one piece paper, but the surround area, specifically the fold/crease is literally one fiber thin. This area is structurally reinforced by a clear tacky substance. The substance is still actively tacky, so only time will tell what will happen as the substance ages/hardens and inevitably attracts dust (or the oil from my curious fingers :rolleyes: ). Makes no difference to me because I'm a noob on a budget and certainly no audiophile - and maybe this is a standard construction method, but I figured I'd post up since info on these is slim. Played them open air to verify functionality and found nothing to object to, though that's not much of a test. Will post listening impressions in the appropriate (most likely foamcore) threads as I get to the project (weeks or months probably). Intend to try a Cornu and a FHXL.

Attachments

• lcao1.jpg
    lcao1.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 567
  • lcao2.jpg
    lcao2.jpg
    720.9 KB · Views: 552
The substance is still actively tacky, so only time will tell what will happen as the substance ages/hardens and inevitably attracts dust (or the oil from my curious fingers :rolleyes: ).

If they use the standard dope from way back when and still used in some prosound driver apps, it doesn't lose its tackiness, at least it hasn't on the mid '50s drivers I have, though extreme cold will stiffen it up some and conversely, heat can make it downright runny, so if you have a pet............

GM

Hi all.

If any of you would like to check out some drivers, I've been living here for 11 years now.

I could probably lend a hand!

For most drivers I have seen already, they are based on old school technology, but there could be some cool findings from time to time.

Feel free to ask.

Jeff

Ok so here is the result of my experiment with the 4" driver.

for a first test I listened to James Blake, the speaker responds very well, some impressive bass coming out of this small drive!

then I tried some other records and they sound dull and flat..... so I do have some questions for you guys.

How hard can I drive the speaker? I did have my amp (iTube) volume knob 50% and didn't dare to turn it up higher...

the whole construction is filled with pillow stuffing. but how much should there be? do I stuff it lightly or completely full and tight?

another question I have is how big the hole on the backside should be?

or if you guys have other ideas on how to improve the speakers I'd really like to know.

Attachments

• construction.png
    construction.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 462
  • photo1-2.jpg
    photo1-2.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 479
Ok so here is the result of my experiment with the 4" driver.

for a first test I listened to James Blake, the speaker responds very well, some impressive bass coming out of this small drive!

then I tried some other records and they sound dull and flat..... so I do have some questions for you guys.

How hard can I drive the speaker? I did have my amp (iTube) volume knob 50% and didn't dare to turn it up higher...

the whole construction is filled with pillow stuffing. but how much should there be? do I stuff it lightly or completely full and tight?

another question I have is how big the hole on the backside should be?

or if you guys have other ideas on how to improve the speakers I'd really like to know.

I think the speakers are rating 15W, so for safety sake you'd better stay way beyond clipping zone ;) .
Volume knob position depends on your system (do you have an active preamp? what is the sensitivity of your amp? what is the output voltage of your sources? and so on...).

How did you find the design you use?

Ciao!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.