Chinese/Taiwan 4” Dual Cone Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I own a pair I bought 1 year ago with neo magnet(note), they sound quite good, and I am very happy with them. I tried to buy another pair then to make a bipole, they were sold out hence I could not get them.
The current prices of neo material have skyrocketed, the new drivers now are made from ferrite(I think), whether they sound the same as the neo's I don't know.

I am tempted to buy another pair to find out.

Note- The driver exhibits a rising response at around 8khz(most full ranger has this property), I used a notch to tame it.

Not exactly 'knock-offs' since AFAIK, Fostex have never made a driver like it.

AFAIK they're from the Guide Sound factory in Taiwan (who also make the Audio Nirvana drivers & the OEM units they're based on). User reports seem to be suspiciously positive, given that one thing a 4in widebander really shouldn't need is a whizzer cone. Probably not bad for what they are, but you get what you pay for. If price is an issue, I'd keep saving for something else; be worth it in the long run.

i suspect there worth 50$ and not much more, i was plan to get a pair for a project. picture frame style enclosures with a hand painting-watercolor-that encompasses the entire face of the speaker and the enclosure. i ve been wanting to do this project for years; when i saw the foam board enclosure post, and after seeing the speakers for 50 a pair i was sold, i think i can rap the project with $75. the whizzers seemed odd on a 4 to me as well yet they will be ideal for the project. the listing seemed fishy but its good to know that the manufacture has experience, it was unclear to me who the manufacture was do to the odd china listing. thank you for the info!

Ah yes, I remember. These were the ones that were stuffed into a massively undersized pair of boxes salvaged from a Sony minisystem, with no thought given to the driver requirements, the alignment, or indeed any attention paid to the datasheet information to see if they would meet the desired goals, insofar as such existed.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I remember. These were the ones that were stuffed into a massively undersized pair of boxes salvaged from a Sony minisystem, with no thought given to the driver requirements, the alignment, or indeed any attention paid to the datasheet information to see if they would meet the desired goals, insofar as such existed.

don't hold back Scott, whadya really think

I bought a pair of these and they're certainly well made. At the moment I'm scalloping the baffles of my frugel horns for them so I haven't tried them out yet - the magnets are big and the basket legs are steep so they'll probably need some room around the sides (thanks Chrisb).

I'm interested in the notch filter mentioned previously - how would that be implemented? I'm ok with wood but a complete biff with electronics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.