China ES9018 4 layer PCB kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a new ES9018 4 layer PCB kit just available on sale yesterday
over 200 order in china in the first day!
HIFIDIY.NET¡¼Titans | ES9018DAC¹Ù·½Ì×¼þ¡½Prometheus-ÌÔ±¦Íø

This PCB is told to be co-develop with the ESS engineer and tested with Prism Sound dScope Series III with excellent result and better than USDxxxx DAC

but the decouple capacitor distance to the es9018 is very very long and narrow trace, any body has any idea on it?

Attachments

• Prome%208.jpg
    Prome%208.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 1,984
4 layers and they did THAT!? has anyone there not heard of power planes? the clock trace is stupidly thin as well and fairly large vias in all of the i2s traces?. its so huge! power supply looks ordinary, the LT are OK, but easily bettered, again someone expecting that ICs are good enough for everything.

the J-test is crap, the crystek does not have close in phase noise anything near that good.

-150db... I dont think so, try -100

Last edited:
Oh and another thing, personally I hate curved tracks unless they are really needed, and designs that need them are not going to be discussed on DIYAudio, they are a pain to lay out and serve no benefit, apart from catering to some strange beliefs or fashion, they always look yuk...

ah actually its not even a cchd957, its a 950, so close in jitter is -118dB at 100Hz and -85dB at 10Hz ... even the clock in the D-Scope they are measuring it with is VERY unlikely to be that good ie. ~-150 at 1-10Hz. it appears to be flat apart from the fundamental and a spike right next to 0Hz, which would be pretty weird and actually at the higher frequencies the crystek is better than that.-160dB-170dB from 100kHz->10M, so something is weird about that pic.

Oh and another thing, personally I hate curved tracks unless they are really needed, and designs that need them are not going to be discussed on DIYAudio, they are a pain to lay out and serve no benefit, apart from catering to some strange beliefs or fashion, they always look yuk...

haha yeah I remember you hate them :p

That is the "newest" chip I've seen so far ("C462") Week 46, 2012?

yeah I think thats how it works. if anything they will probably be ramping up production, popularity has never been better, pity there is so much dross around using them.

Check the links to the forums (you need an account to see most of the photos). It is definitely a joint project between the China arm of ESS Tech and HIFIDIY.net.

The low price is a limited-time group buy and there is a competition for the best implementation and sound.

Attachments

• essPrize.jpg
    essPrize.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,817
Last edited:
Check the links to the forums (you need an account to see most of the photos). It is definitely a joint project between the China arm of ESS Tech and HIFIDIY.net.

The low price is a limited-time group buy and there is a competition for the best implementation and sound.

There are 2 on ebay now

1. diyinhk
ES9018 32bit Audio DAC PCB kit | eBay

2. weilang
Assembled board ES9018 32bit 192khz Hi End DAC Optical Coax and Balanced output | eBay

The other option is twisted pear audio which is many times the price.
Is the GB for Subbu DAC better thats the lower end chip from ESS 9023 tho.

To be frank I have assembled 3 pcbs including the 4396 and dual 8741 dac. When I compare them to the analog out from my SB Touch dont find much difference. So not sure what will bring about a difference.
I am also thinking about the XMOS chip for a USB receiver which has good reviews
WaveIO | Luckit

that doesnt make any difference to anything that has been said.

the decoupling is still pretty lame, the clock trace and i2s traces too thin for a 4 layer board, the layout and design nothing apart from ordinary (just looks like cheaper eval board) and the jitter 'measurement' is still impossible with the clock pictured and its hard to imagine with any clock.

how exactly are they planning to make big differences in sound when the power supply and IV stage are already set?

Last edited:
Translating from the Chinese:

"Prometheus is aimed at moving China's diy market to a new level in quality and capability. Prometheus is so far the world's only third party product officially authorized to use the "ESS" and "SABRE 32 Reference DAC" trademarks on the board."

Looks like a serious initiative from the China diy industry...

Attachments

• Prometheus.png
    Prometheus.png
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,315
Last edited:
well they better get more serious is all I can say. its just another datasheet implementation with a few cost cutting measures. its better than any of the other cheaper ESS boards so far; i'll give them that.

isnt Prometheus already the name of a hifi DAC? yep, several DAC products and a digital audio company already using the name.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
well they better get more serious is all I can say. its just another datasheet implementation with a few cost cutting measures. its better than any of the other cheaper ESS boards so far; i'll give them that.

isnt Prometheus already the name of a hifi DAC? yep, several DAC products and a digital audio company already using the name.

Jeremy, Promitheus not Prometheus:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.