Check my First Box & Measure in anechoic chamber

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is part myth, part depends on speaker

"Break in" is describing spider/surround loosening after construction of driver. Most manufactures break in the spider which takes ~10 seconds. After that it just gets a little looser with age.

hmm i see :)
stiffness loosens up you mean right??

but can that influence so much?? But once i did make sound a pink noise for more than 10 seconds it should be broken in right??

hmm i see :)
stiffness loosens up you mean right??
correct
but can that influence so much?? But once i did make sound a pink noise for more than 10 seconds it should be broken in right??
it shouldent make that much difference normaly.
10 seconds is a bit short
i cal them broken in after 1 hour full trust.
i never measured it thoug,but at 1 time i had bild 2 br boxes and one sounded less deep.
once i used it, didnt hear it again.

So.... about the freq response.....
Can it be posible that difference of dB's between 50 Hz and 200 Hz is due to the "anechoic chamber" that isn't so anechoic below the cut off frequency, right?
So reflections make an increase of the energy at upper frequencies, and my measure isn't reliable.

Conclusion....i need to do the measure outside?

Thanks for all your help :) :)
The chamber and measurement position would not account for the extreme loss of low frequency in the test.
As I (and others ) wrote before, (post 3 & 7) either something is wrong with your speaker or something is wrong with the test set up.

Does the speaker sound like it has no bass?

An outdoor measurement would verify what the response is.

Art

Does the speaker sound like it has no bass?

An outdoor measurement would verify what the response is.
Art
One of the speakers i haven't had time to try it with music and see if there is no bass... I'll try to as soon as possible. But it is difficult to move from one side to another the box...the speaker....etc :) :)

About the outdoor measure, i will still have the floor reflection right? how do i kill them? how do i do the measure outdoor??

sorry for my poor knowledge and thx a LOT for your help.

Last edited:
yes brand new.... :)
i'm trying to contact Fane Acoustics... but haven't answered yet, and Spain doesn't have technical service or client service or whatever....
Maybe i'll try to make a little party for me for one hour jajaj and see....

Fane Acoustics just answered me this :

That is perfectly fine. The speaker is straight form production and will
change once the speaker is used. The DATA FOR THE SPEAKER IS TAKEN AFTER
2 HOURS RUNNING IN FREE AIR AT THE RATED VOLTAGE / POWER ....There is
nothing to worry about

=))

One of the speakers i haven't had time to try it with music and see if there is no bass... I'll try to as soon as possible. But it is difficult to move from one side to another the box...the speaker....etc :) :)

About the outdoor measure, i will still have the floor reflection right? how do i kill them? how do i do the measure outdoor??

sorry for my poor knowledge and thx a LOT for your help.

If you place the microphone very close to the ground outdoors, well away from large objects and buildings, you eliminate floor reflections applicable to low frequencies. I use a windscreen for all outdoor measurements, and simply lay the microphone down on a 1/2 meter square piece of plywood, usually at around two meters from the sub.

I'd measure further away, but various buildings are all around my test area, if I measure at 10 meters they affect the response.
As far as test tones, if you don't have a sine wave tone generator you can down load sine wave tones for playback. For a 2 meter test, set the output of your amplifier to 5.66 volts at 60 Hz, then leave the output the same as you test at different frequencies.

Your dB meter should be set to "flat" or "C" if there is no flat setting. The "C" setting will roll off the response slightly in the bottom end, about -2 at 40 Hz and -6 at 20 Hz.

Make sure that wind noise (and other ambient noise) is not part of your reading, a steady wind can show up as a fairly high dB reading, especially with no wind screen.
Higher drive levels will make for a better signal to noise ratio.
Even with a wind screen, I spend more than half my measurement time waiting for gusts to die down.

Good luck, hopefully the chamber results are not indicative of your cabinet's response.

Art

If you place the microphone very close to the ground outdoors, well away from large objects and buildings, you eliminate floor reflections applicable to low frequencies. I use a windscreen for all outdoor measurements, and simply lay the microphone down on a 1/2 meter square piece of plywood, usually at around two meters from the sub.

I'd measure further away, but various buildings are all around my test area, if I measure at 10 meters they affect the response.
As far as test tones, if you don't have a sine wave tone generator you can down load sine wave tones for playback. For a 2 meter test, set the output of your amplifier to 5.66 volts at 60 Hz, then leave the output the same as you test at different frequencies.

Your dB meter should be set to "flat" or "C" if there is no flat setting. The "C" setting will roll off the response slightly in the bottom end, about -2 at 40 Hz and -6 at 20 Hz.

Make sure that wind noise (and other ambient noise) is not part of your reading, a steady wind can show up as a fairly high dB reading, especially with no wind screen.
Higher drive levels will make for a better signal to noise ratio.
Even with a wind screen, I spend more than half my measurement time waiting for gusts to die down.

Good luck, hopefully the chamber results are not indicative of your cabinet's response.

Art

nice answer :) hehe

i'll keep you informed.

Thanks for a loooot all your help!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.