Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

If you have Mouser/Digikey Panasonics in hand, you know 100% certain the onces on Volt aren't Panasonic.
Then there is at least one other tricky thing. The fake European Comformity logo has the legal escape in that it means Made in China "we didn't claim European Comformity sir". Print Made in China right next to Made in India...and that legal escape doesn't apply.

Well it is a pitty, people reviewing the board seem pleased, whatever that means. Looking at it as a 2 layer pcb I would guess it can't be ok, but maybe it is a 4 layer pcb.

Reading remarks about warmer sound also made me think about mentioning 1SPW mode (as opposed to standard BD modulation). Just putting these chips in 1SPW mode will also reduce treble, but also reduce resolution and increase distortion, heh it can be a subjective improvement, really warm up the sound. I personally have mentioned a couple of times that all these tpa chips I tried already are a little more friendly in treble (in BD) than really good amplifiers once speaker(load) and other components of the outputfilter match. For me it is already a little flaw, increasing that flaw for me makes little sense, but commercially it might work well, and I believe the energy/battery conscious (maybe boombox) people might like it too for being a little more efficient.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
We are measuring the ESR of the capacitor in the image against one Panasonic that was bought from digikey/mouser..should have an answer soon.

I am sorry but I think Irribeo is right. Just opened one and compared with a Panasonic cap. Unfortunately the original one is of different value but they look different with regards to construction. The ones used on the Volt+ also have leaked and they left a very sticky residu on the PCB that was hard to get rid of. I today tried the Volt+ on 24V for only half an hour. The picture in post #1369 already was a giveaway.

Last edited:
It is a Sanwu lookalike, without the Sanwu name on the pcb. The ones with Sanwu on pcb are the ones most discussed in this thread.

I have some of those, and some of the genuine Sanwu. I haven't gotten around to hooking them up and listening, but it looks to me like the PCBs are basically identical. Component choice and values could differ though. As I recall someone (linuxworks?) noticed that the gain settings on the clones he got were 1) high 2) inconsistent.

I actually just got a batch of the genuine Sanwu boards, ordered directly from their TaoBao. I was planning on putting most of them up for sale on eBay with US shipping, but haven't gotten to it yet. I wanted to include screw terminals for anyone who wanted them and don't have the right kind yet.

Last edited:
Its a 4 layer PCB.

Well it is a pitty, people reviewing the board seem pleased, whatever that means. Looking at it as a 2 layer pcb I would guess it can't be ok, but maybe it is a 4 layer pcb.

Reading remarks about warmer sound also made me think about mentioning 1SPW mode (as opposed to standard BD modulation). Just putting these chips in 1SPW mode will also reduce treble, but also reduce resolution and increase distortion, heh it can be a subjective improvement, really warm up the sound. I personally have mentioned a couple of times that all these tpa chips I tried already are a little more friendly in treble (in BD) than really good amplifiers once speaker(load) and other components of the outputfilter match. For me it is already a little flaw, increasing that flaw for me makes little sense, but commercially it might work well, and I believe the energy/battery conscious (maybe boombox) people might like it too for being a little more efficient.

Old Lot(CHINA)
Sample Capacitance Frequency ESR
1 442 1KHz 120 mOHM
2 428.2 1KHz 120 mOHM
1 518 10KHz 102.7mOHM
2 516 10KHz 102 mOHM
1 447 100Hz 2mOHM
2 460.8 100Hz 3mOHM
New Lot(ARROW)
1 435.2 1KHz 106.2mOHM
2 440.7 1KHz 99.8mOHM
1 540 10KHz 91.2mOHM
2 532 10KHz 83.5mOHM
1 449 100Hz 7mOHM
2 455 100Hz 6mOHM

Hi Jean Paul ,

yeap it is possible thats why we are doing our best to check and correct if its needed. From what we understand the Y is fake and T is real..when we did get the first batch of capacitors (claimed to be panasonic) the supplier told us is was from older stock..is it possible that 2014/2015 stock was Y shaped (original panasonic) ?

Anyway we are doing our best to get to the bottom of this. Meanwhile we did receive the new batch of capacitors from Arrow.

I am sorry but I think Irribeo is right. Just opened one and compared with a Panasonic cap. Unfortunately the original one is of different value but they look different with regards to construction. The ones used on the Volt+ also have leaked and they left a very sticky residu on the PCB that was hard to get rid of. I today tried the Volt+ on 24V for only half an hour. The picture in post #1369 already was a giveaway.