Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

7.3.12.2 MODSEL = ?

Sanwu TPA3118-PBTL runs especially cool, so I was curious if Pin#1 (MODSEL) was grounded ("BD" high quality mode) or volted ("1SPW" battery-saver mode)? See datasheet.

Ohmmeter says: Pin1 is grounded. Good news.

Since the "BD" aka higher quality option, is used, then it seems that the trouble I had, is not located at Pin#1 and likewise I should not try a fix at Pin#1.

Still working off that checklist.

Parallel 4ohm to get 2ohms would be loudest for same voltage in. You are burning more watts though.

These amps may be susceptible to static electricity. The output stages are probably MOSFETS, even with blocking internal source/drain diodes can get fried with a static zap.

This is the way I will have to do it as the concept for boominator is that both drivers are playing in phase to increase SPL and augment bass reenforcement. I am going to order 4 more anyway tho as I will use in other projects. They will be running from solar panel to help replace amps out of batt.

If you got two non modified boards, why not change one for 1spw and do a double blind test operated by a third-person?
For a different sounding and more efficient amplifier? Yes, there's merit in finding out.

I'm also curious if the built in radio interference settings, which also changes the frequency of the amplifier, might make some difference to the audible output? Has anything like that been reported?

Oh, and thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:
The 8932 does sound superb but if you look at specs the distortion goes through the roof at 10watts.

For single 8ohm speakers/woofers the (clean) power advantage of the 3118 is not really there.
One problem i have with the 311x is the overvoltage protection.
For mobile applications you cannot use two 12v sla batteries.
Using three 6v sla batteries like me is not a solution for everybody.
With a single 12v they work great (which in fact is an advantage), but then the last bit of advantage related to the output power is gone.

i suggest taydaelectronics' website.

better prices than on ebay and nice customer service.

their shpping is much faster than from china to germany.

Didn't know they have better prices on their website, thanks.

Shipping is reasonable fast and stuff is always from good quality. I use these pots in all of my projects. In doubt the pots case can be grounded.

Didn't know they have better prices on their website, thanks.

Shipping is reasonable fast and stuff is always from good quality. I use these pots in all of my projects. In doubt the pots case can be grounded.

the shop has great items to offer besides the pots (which are a highlight indeed):
big sortiment of 1/4w resistors
green polyester caps (like em or not, for my noobish projects they are enough)
nice small aluminium enclosures
well priced oldschool opamps
good quality stripboards
good led
and so on....

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a continuous stream of small value $3 to $7 orders for caps, resistors, transistors, terminal blocks, heatsinks, shrink tube, all flowing in daily from China via Aliexpress. All the parts have been accurately described so far. It's great to get a boxfull of all values of 1% resistors ready and handy for the next project. Even big output Toshiba TO3P transistors (2SC5200 and 2SCA1943) have been good (20 for $7). I'm saving a bunch vs Digikey/Newark/Mouser. Just have to be patient and order stuff a month in advance. I have not shopped for a pot yet but probably can find one.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just ran across this for CCTV apps - but seems awfully handy for getting SMPS walwarts with 5.5mm plug to these small SMT amp boards with solder holes (or 5mm terminal blocks that can be installed like I did).

$2.24 for 10 is cheaper than buying raw 5.5mm female jacks.

http://www.amazon.com/5-5mm-2-1mm-Female-Connector-Camera/dp/B005CMP434/

51Naoj9lGTL._SY300_.jpg

Re dual log pots from Alps, Amazon has them for about same price as Tayda $2.75ea.

http://www.amazon.com/Logarithmic-Taper-Potentiometer-A50K-50KA/dp/B00I5H929K/

Last edited:
I just ran across this for CCTV apps - but seems awfully handy for getting SMPS walwarts with 5.5mm plug to these small SMT amp boards with solder holes (or 5mm terminal blocks that can be installed like I did).

$2.24 for 10 is cheaper than buying raw 5.5mm female jacks.

http://www.amazon.com/5-5mm-2-1mm-Female-Connector-Camera/dp/B005CMP434/

51Naoj9lGTL._SY300_.jpg

Re dual log pots from Alps, Amazon has them for about same price as Tayda $2.75ea.

Amazon.com: 2 pcs of 50K OHM Logarithmic Taper Potentiometer Pot A50K 50KA: Home Improvement

Those are handy, I use them often. I have the males too.
Amazon.com: 20 Pcs 2.1 x 5.5mm DC Power Male Connector Plug for CCTV Camera: Electronics