Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

The selling price for one Sanwu pbtl3118 ampboard is $2.77, unshipped. With free shipping that might become $8.

Samsung 100n 0603 50V here 3.80 per 4000, but we pay some salestax and euro is like 10% above dollar I think, Murata versions sold here around 20 for 4000, but might just be that they don't sell cheapest Murata here.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wonder how the sanwu TDA8932 with the same pcb quality and size and about the same part count and the same overall quality can cost only 3.70€ shipped around the world.

I just got two of those from Aliexpress but have not hooked up yet. They are similar but I feel the PCB for the 3118 is a bit sturdier (thicker). The price on the 3118 chip is probably more. Even at $8, the cost is excellent. I sent a very small package to China once, it cost $25 to do that.

OT:X7R MLCC for Decoupling

Hmm, i always care who made "my" caps, especially on ceramics, dc-bias differs alot. You also want to know its ESR/ESL graphs to do the math.

But good find. I'd suggest to buy a full reel of brand name mlccs for decoupling. (like 100nF X7R 0603 50/100V) Costs about $20 for 4000 pcs. :D

I am looking at getting some of the X7R decoupling mlccs. Will it be better to go for a larger package eg 0805 / 1206 since they are easier to work with?

Yageo does have a "capacitance change with voltage" graph in their datasheet for the ceramic. So I like them better than others that don't mention or show that in datasheet.

If I remember correctly, they only show for ceramic and size for a series but not for every part including smith diagram like Murata.

Looking for DC-Bias, Murata provides the best/most complete data, together with TDK who now provide DC-BIAS+Phase simulation models.

I know, ordered Murata whenever I needed some, because the tool made them a sympathetic company to me, if TDK had offered tool earlier I might have liked TDK, but few capacitors I use aren't helping them :) Cheapest Samsung datasheet now also has capacitance change for voltage graph I just noticed, but the line for their 16V part stops at 45V, so I wouldn't waste time thinking about what their graph is telling and spend 0.00005 cents more for the Yageo were graph doesn't give me questionmarks.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Also order 20k and 100k 0805 resistors if you want it to amplify less than it does now. 20k and 100k will make it amplify 20 db. It is originally configured for 36 dB amplification which is way too much in most cases. With 36 dB there is some hiss too.

I found the right Phoenix connectors yesterday (as the board has none). Pin distance is not like many other boards but connectors exist for this format. You don't want to solder wireds straight to the PCB as tracks will peel off quite fast.

Also order 20k and 100k 0805 resistors if you want it to amplify less than it does now. 20k and 100k will make it amplify 20 db

Two Sanwa blue 3118 boards I received were configured 32db; however, no hiss of significance unless I position my ear about 150mm from a speaker

Two 2*100W red 3116 boards I received were configured: one board 26dB & master/slave [version with separate small heatsink per chip] & other board 36dB & master/master [version with one large heatsink over both chips]

I suppose it depends on the ebay/alibaba seller's supplier, although one would assume a single supply source for the Sanwu blues

The cycnical side of me wonders whether the boards are configured 36dB to make us believe .... no, I won't keyboard that :D

j.R.c

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't have a need for 4000 units and so ordered this for $0.70 (shipping included). 100 pieces of 0805 100nF 50V X7R - is this any good?

Online Shop Free shipping 100pcs/lot 104K X7R 50V 0805 100NF SMD capacitor Chip Capacitor Electronic Components Package Samples kit|Aliexpress Mobile

So it sounds like a lot of people are trying the Sanwu blue 3118 PBTL now - the board that woke up this dormant thread. Please tell me your subjective listening impressions. Does it sound as good as I think it does?

Also order 20k and 100k 0805 resistors if you want it to amplify less than it does now. 20k and 100k will make it amplify 20 db. It is originally configured for 36 dB amplification which is way too much in most cases. With 36 dB there is some hiss too.
Thanks for the help on the hiss question.

Found some data on it:
Code:
gain  R1  R2  inR cap
20db 5k6 open 60k 1u5
26db 20k 100k 30k 3u3
32db 39k 100k 15k 5u6
36db 47k  75k  9k 10u
http://www.ti.com/product/TPA3118D2/datasheet/detailed_description#SLOS7085418