• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cheap SE output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered a couple sets of the Edcor XSE10-8-5Ks and lead time is out to 8 weeks.

My Wife's powered speakers on her computer are on the fritz, so I figure it is an opportunity to build a small SE stereo amp as a replacement.

Who is ordering all the transformers?

Edcor has other customers that order big quantities. They make these small quantity and 1-off designs for the DIY and specialty business community, but we have to wait for them to have time. The big accounts get priority and that's fine with me given their pricing to us.

Why they don't stock their more popular OPTs, I don't know. I wish they would, but again keeping inventory costs money...cost that has to be passed on to us.

Yeah....
You have to be patient if you want Edcor. The good news is the iron for my Millett DCPP is on the way (almost 7 weeks after I ordered). I should have the red board singing by this weekend.

Bad news is the xfmrs I ordered for my Tubelab Simple Push-Pull will arrive sometime in June!!

41_1.JPG

Hopefully this does not violate any posting regs.

I vaguely remember the cartoon from the 70s, although I don't remember what magazine it was in.

Last edited:
Always interested in SE OPTs, so fine to revive an old thread.

For me it isn't a question of "cheap" - more like "value for money". I think some of the best for value right now are the Lundahl LL1663, LL1664, LL1682. Basically the same OPT with different primaries. I've been enjoying the LL1682/50mA in my 4P1L SET. It's certainly a good sounding transformer, and about the correct price for the quality you get. I'm in Europe so can get slightly better prices.

I'd like to know if there's anything better for that price - around $300 a pair.

The small James 10 watters JS-6112, 6113, 6115 are $169 and the medium JS-6123 is $212 but haven't heard them. Probably also worth the money.

More detailed specifications and test results would be interesting to see.

At the moment I think Toroidy from Poland has excellent price/quality.
I have nor built anything with Lundahl so I can not evaluate those, but price is 2...3 times higher than Toroidy.

Hi Artosalo,

Have you tested their transformers? I ordered some PP for EL84, they will be shipped soon, and I am quite curious about their performance.

best regards,
Erik

Hi,

I have tested these two types:

TTG-6C33CPP - Tube output transformer for 2x6C33C Push-pull or similar - Shop Toroidy.pl

TTG-EL34PP - Tube output transformer for 2xEL34 / 2x6L6 Push-pull or similar - Shop Toroidy.pl

The first one 1.2 k version was tested with EL509 Circlotron and the second 6k6 version with "ordinary" EL34 UL-PP amplifier.
Both transformers have at least the same performance than Edcor's CXPP series equivalents.

thanks for the info Artosalo! Glad I already have a pair on their way :)
Erik

hi Ian

I ordered some PP plus filter chokes from them, they should be shipped today. No SE, but at least I can try the choke to see how it behaves with DC current applied, always a challenge for toroids and possibly an indication if SE OPTs will work. If results are good, I may order some other goodies, and maybe we split costs?

As always, I am curious what the DPD will charge for importing the materials in CH.

Best regards, Erik

Could we update this thread

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but rather than starting a new one for the same topic, I thought I would revive this one. It's been 15 years and some of the mfrs are gone, part numbers have changed etc.

I have decided to build a single ended tube amp, not sure which output tube yet but I have lots to choose from in stock. Under consideration are 2A3, 211, (242C, 276A, 261A all same size as 211). I would also consider 300B but would have to buy those, I have all the others I listed.

I have been looking around and re-reading this thread and have found Edcor and Transcendar are still in business, James seems to be gone and some of the others mentioned are getting hard to find.

So what is currently a decent quality SE output xfmr, either Asian or North American? Not looking for specific part numbers, more of a survey of current suppliers. Also don't want to buy the old classic megabuck partridges etc. I see on epay for a kilobuck per pair. Would be nice to find good ones less than $100 ea.

My other thought is to find an inexpensive already built amp with one of the listed tubes, then mod the crap out of it, or gut it and put in my own circuit and use the chassis and xfmrs etc.

Look forward to hearing your recommendations.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.