Cheap and FAST OB, Literally

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
And dynamics of the 5MR450NDY are crazy good. This is especially noticeable when playing with an amp that has serious power behind it even though only playing 6Vrms, the peaks are well resolved and don’t get compressed. I tried a 600wpc amp the other day and the sound was impressively loud, clear, and dynamic.

Reactions: 1 user
This speaker has prompted me to ponder on the question of low bass being produced by relatively small drivers. It begs the question, is a 6.5” woofer actually capable of generating say 30hz at anything like a useful SPL ? Well my researches tell me that a driver of that size can produce 30 hz output but that it will be well down in SPL in comparison with the higher frequencies that its producing . So if you want or need to use such drivers then the remedy of course is to use multiple drivers, just as XRK has done. There’s no replacement for displacement, but there is more than one way of getting displacement.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Great idea to use a racetrack driver! Maybe 4 of those would be be perfect. They are taller so cabinet might be too tall with six. Although upper reach on round 8in driver is about 350Hz is not too bad. As the frequency drops, one has to go with lower sensitivity mid ranges as none I know of get 95dB and work well below 300Hz.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the slight decrease in depth for the price is a bit steep given 12 are needed. I would use RS225-8 and that would cost significantly less and I know it’s a superb driver.
I would agree, but in this case, if going with 8" drivers, I'd give the nod to the SBA SB15SFCR39-8 5x8". You still get the 8" extension through the notch, but the easy 5" for depth and compactness. Those 5x8 can be pushed hard and hardly break a sweat, I mean, minimal distortion, even with a heavy hand on the EQ, which they would barely need in this design, I am super impressed how they perform.
And at less than $50 each, they are an amazing price/performance ratio.

Reactions: 1 users
I would agree, but in this case, if going with 8" drivers, I'd give the nod to the SBA SB15SFCR39-8 5x8". You still get the 8" extension through the notch, but the easy 5" for depth and compactness. Those 5x8 can be pushed hard and hardly break a sweat, I mean, minimal distortion, even with a heavy hand on the EQ, which they would barely need in this design, I am super impressed how they perform.
And at less than $50 each, they are an amazing price/performance ratio.
Thanks for confirming that these are as good as they look - Its a bit frustrating that the UK retailer I found has put the price up overnight :cautious:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some painting on the removable baffle board tonight. Metallic dark antique bronze.
1650852635022.jpeg

1650852652873.jpeg

1650852682778.jpeg