Cheap ADSP21489 + 4in / 6out PCM1798 board

This is a very interesting solution. Have a few questions hoping to find some answers.
Thanks a million!

1, Has anyone made some measurements of general performance? THD+N etc..
2, Has anyone purchased the more expensive, ESS9028+OPA1612 version yet?
3, Can I assume that the included software just work?
4,. Is there Toslink interface card for it by anychance? Perhaps an XMOS USB audio interface that plugs right into the motherboard?

revber

Hi!
Dear friend, you have been testing with a new main board that does not support Sigmastudio.
I have an ADCP-21489, 4/8 with a main board supporting Sigmastudio.
Question:
1 Is it possible to replace the main board with Sigmastudio support with a main board without Sigmastudio support?
2. In what frequency range do FIR filters work effectively for this armor?
3. Do I need to develop a matching program to support the SA9227 card? What is the connection scheme of the card?
4. Is it necessary to purchase a front control panel.

Attachments

• ADSP-21489 4-8.png
    ADSP-21489 4-8.png
    251.2 KB · Views: 128
Dear,
I'm on goin on a complete project DAC (AK4499) with input HDMI IIS, USB through a CM6632 and TOSLINK/COAX with AK4118.
This is a complete 2/3way home made DAC and i want to include a ADAU1467 or a ADSP21489.
My question is basic but i did not practice DSP since 20 year, if i understood the DSP itself work under 96KHz, That mean that all the music i will use will need to upsampled or downsample to this 96Khz,right?
There is no solution to make an automatic sample rate detection to adapte the dsp to the right sample rate?
Thank

Depends which revision od adsp21489 you use, in old version you need to provide 96k(thats how firmware is configured), you can use resampler like ak4137. Its possible that newer revision have asrc inputs, you have to check, ask dev.
For start I would suggest taking adau1467 from midiworx/mediaworx store on aliexpress(thats dev od board and hes very helpful). 1467 you can configure yourself in sigmastudio. Much easier and flexible AS you set asrc, master/slave i2s for dach port yourlself. One possible drawback is FIR performance (sharc operate on float, adau fixed numbers).. thats what im trying to find out.

Many SigmaStudio components (filters, delays, etc.) depend on the DSP sample rate to function correctly. On the 1467 you can change the DSP sample rate, but it requires a recompile of the SigmaStudio project. The default 1467 DSP sample rate is 48 KHz. At that rate it processes 6144 SIMD instructions per sample. Additional information from the datasheet:

"At maximum efficiency, the core processes 3072 IIR biquad filters (single or double precision) per sample at a sample rate of 48 kHz. At maximum efficiency, the core processes approximately 24,000 FIR filter taps per sample at a sample rate of 48 kHz. The instruction set is an SIMD computing model. The DSP core is 32-bit fixed point, with an 8.24 data format for audio."

If you change the 1467 sample rate to 96 KHz everything is reduced by half, 3072 SIMD instructions per sample, etc. As stated before, the ASRCs on the 1467 are very capable. The 1467 also has S/PDIF input.

No. :)
Both adau1467 and adsp21489 have ASRC hardware (sample rate converters). Old version of adsp21489 have them disabled in firmware, and is set to 96khz computing, cannot change that without costly JTAG. New version of adsp21489 board from this topic.. Im not sure, possible that asrc is enabled.
With ADAU1467 you can enable/disable ASRC in sigmastudio, yourself with couple click. If enabled no need for AK4137, any signal (up to 192khz I think) will be converted on the fly to 'computing frequency' you set in sigmastudio.

Reactions: 1 user
FIrst welcome ajc9988 and glad to have you here:)
I also found the same ICE-1000 on ebay, waiting for funds to get one:) There was also what I understand a clone of ICE-2000 for $350 .. now website seems down.. maybe its temporary, was working just like 2 weeks ago - http://opendsp.cn/
Well my question was are we able to do the same - does ICE-1000 have same functionality as ICE-2000 just slower? Seems so but not 100% sure:)

I was thinking about same also, but I think instead of asking batch of specific questions for his old project (2018), maybe it would be possible to get Their CCES/VDSP source codes(Yes, Im sure they have custom ones). That should sort out most if not all problems, and speed up everything. Whatever info we would need we could read it from source.. and change what we want instead of building, configuring ourselves.
I found shop address also in schematics:
https://shop67146674.taobao.com/

View attachment 1067069

About SPDIF
What I found in one of text files:
IN I/J(S/PDIF) A17(S/PDIF)
OUT9/10(S/PDIF) A12
So it seems both in and out are working out of the box when it comes to firmware
View attachment 1067073

Changing the sample rate from 96kHz to 48kHz?
Yes Im pretty sure its as you pointed out crystal value and divisor in some CCES file + settings in CCES and SigmaStudio.

I am using just DSP board without their Motherboard or DAC/ADC, I use my own inputs and outputs via I2S
I have it connected with CM6632A XMOS (In slave mode) and https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-...84khz-32bit-es9016-pcm-dxd-dsd-audio-dac.html

View attachment 1067084

For more flexibility and comfort I want to add bluetooth input, rotary encoder (input select and volume control of dac via i2c registers - more like mute function acutally, oled or lcd screen) So experience is as it is finished product:) I had raspberryPi hooked up as input with various distros like volumio, moode audio etc.
Was really easy to set up, had most of functionality.. except one - resampling of bluetooth and it seems impossible to be done on ALSA so also on most popular audio streaming distros - cannot feed SHARC DSP board with 44.1k, need to be 96k (on vendor firmware)
So I ordered ESP32 will play with it.. other option for me is Qualcomm bluetooth CSRA6620(or similar) + programmer (this one have resampling done in hardware)
and think best option - Enable ASRC on DSP board:)

SHARC also have FIR accelerator.. not sure its enabled by default, think it needs special version of algo in SigmaStudio
Hi PPP000,

I wondered if you had the scheme for a direct connexion RPi->DSP->DIYHK 8ch DAC.
Regarding the possibilities of using ALSA as soft DSP on the RPi itself, did you tried this option, as the small computer is powerful enough to do the job and it would remove a hardware piece out of the chain.

Best,

Benoit

Hey, I had it connected like this rpi with młode audio, and was thinking about using Camilla dsp on rpi, but problem is that rpi got only one i2s, so I would need multichannel USB interface. Other thing is how to get audio input working (spdif for example) for distro like volumio or moode audio.
Now i have adau1467 but not sure about its FIR capabilities, so might be looking for something else in near future

For audio input in Volumio, I use the Tascam 1x2HR to play vinyls the digital way. it has line input and USB connexion. It is fully recognised by Linux as a record device. Some retro engineering is still required as it is stuck to 48kHz 32 bits under Linux, thought the ADC chip is capable of 192kHz.