Cheap 6.5" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking at those same 6.5" drivers too.

I was thinking three in 90L ported, tuned to ~35Hz. Then two of the 2" dome midrange and either the RSN1142 Tweeter or their ribbon tweeter I saw on the Jaycar website.

But then again, I don't really know what I'm doing...

Progress: 54L cabs nearly finished, just have to glue in the wadding & glue on the front baffle. These will be tuned to 33Hz.
Should be able to fire them up in the next few days, Uni studies & Kids permitting....
Pete McK

PS Daveze, 3 makes it hard for matching impedance, & if you're prepared to go to 90L, I'd probably use a larger driver, say 2x 8" ?

Moondog55 said:
I looked at those my self, settled on the P11 in the end, probably should have gone for the P13, did you ever listen to the Whatmough system using the 5inch version with the Neo tweeter/ that is a nice combination.

Bit of a price jump to the P11 though isn't there? I have a relatively small budget at the moment. Haven't heard any Whatmoughs, just seen them mentioned on the net.

RSN1142 Tweeter or their ribbon tweeter I saw on the Jaycar website.

RSN1142? Link? I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried that ribbon tweeter, it's awefully tempting to give it a shot! I'm just a little cautious, I'm a bit picky now compared to when I started making speakers!

But then again, I don't really know what I'm doing...

Meh just give it a shot........MDF is cheap, drivers can be re-used!

PeteMcK: pardon my ignorance but when you refer to matching impedence, thats a crossover design issue? I just been playing around with drivers and enclosures and haven't gotten to crossover design, so impedence hasn't been a consideration yet...

Phreeky82, the RSN1142 doesn't appear on the website, I saw it in their current catalogue (which doesn't have the ribbon tweeters).

"Meh just give it a shot........MDF is cheap, drivers can be re-used!" - my philosophy exactly.....

Daveze, 3x 8 ohm drivers in parallel is ~ 2.67 ohms, probably getting a bit low for most amps, 2 give 4 ohms which should be OK, with 4 you can go series-parallel which will give you 8 ohms...
IOW even numbers make it easy, on the amp & on the brain...

Ah, the old obvious answer trick. I had thought about that issue but the amp should be capable of going to 2 Ohm. What impact does the crossover network have, it'll drag everything down a bit won't it (everything ends up in parallel)?

I will look at the 2x8" idea when I get home.

Anybody had experiences with the midrange and tweeters I mentioned?

It would be interesting to see how the 6.5"s play the higher freq, and if matched with a suitable tweeter you could look at the possibility of one of the 6.5" playing the mids, crossed to the other 6.5"s playing the bass.

That would of course give some odd impedance curves to deal with. But then, you could always do the smart thing and bi-amp ;)

Bi-amping (then tri and eventually quad) is definitely on the cards, just not the ones in my current hand.

One reason I went with the design that I had was that when ported, the cab reached down quite well (maybe ~40Hz) but when sealed with the same volume, it had a -3dB point at maybe ~100Hz (from memory). So I'd run them as a ported for the time being, until a bigger sub is built, then seal the cab and crossover in the vicinity of that 100Hz point.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
"Bit of a price jump to the P11 though isn't there? "

Yes but I am Bi-amping so what I save on cross-overs I can spend on drivers.

I have that ribbon but not yet used it so no comment there, I have used the 1inch dome CT2010, that is useful above 3k but I used it at 4k and simple second order and I haven't had any problems, needs a bit of work to force the top end but that is a simple 1uF cap in parallel with an 8r resistor in series with the driver after the cross

PeteMcK, you were most correct, 2 x 8" is a fair bit nicer to play with, goes lower, more sensible impedance and cheaper to boot.

I don't think the dome midrange I was thinking of is available anymore, so now I'm back to looking for a cheap, easily accessible midrange driver. I'm currently looking at 2 of the Visaton W 130 SC 8Ohm in ~20L box. The problem is they only really reach up to about 3k in that (or any other arrangement that I play with), which is almost capable of being handled by the woofers. Time to sleep on it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Daveze, it is still in the catalouge, $40-each, but it needs to be crossed higher than Jaycar say, I am thinking of using it from 1500 and crossing to that Foster ribbon at 7.5K, still a thought experiment.
As for woofers, I've always thought bigger is better and prefer 8inch at a minimum but the I subscribe to the belief that mid-range is best in the range 300/3000Hz; this means of course that I need to find really good 4/5 inch drivers; not allways in my price range.
Have to stop thinking and start building again.
TED

intestinal shot, small chamber top centre for mid & tweet if it's worth proceeding further...

Attachments

• int1s.jpg
    int1s.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 558
first impressions

These guys do ok for their size, can cope with plenty of volume and in this 54L cab go suitably low too.
However, I don't think the bass is quite as well defined as my Jaycar 8" drivers in 30L cabs, and they aren't as efficient as I'd like either. A single 8" would be just as efficient and not put a low load on the amp - should have taken my own advice re: 8" units:)
(If only Jaycar hadn't discontinued the 8" CF cone units....)

Can't help wondering how these would go in one of Planet10's push-push TLs though...

Ah well back to the seach for woofers that match my Peerless 850488 Mids for efficiency, don't cost the earth, and dont require a cab the size of a stegodont....
Cheers,
Pete McK

Andy,
I'll run my cabs full range and see how they sound;
If you've got a spare CW2142 lying aroung, perhaps we could do a swap...;-)

Actually, I'm going to be in Thailand next month, & It seems that P Audio HP-15Ws are 900 baht <~AUD40 !!!!
so I might try to pick up a couple. ...thinking of an OB using a couple of nice Sansui 8"ers I've got, Godnose where I'm going to put them though....

Pete McK

finally..

after trying these cabs in combination with all the dodgy drivers I have lying around, yesterday I tried them with SEAS 27tbfc tweets, xover @ 1600. They sound amazing, I'm going to keep them like this (except, now I have to make them look pretty).

I can recommend this combination to everyone. Of course, most sensible people will build a narrower cabinet and add BSC.
These don't need any at 500mm wide, and are deliciously slightly bass heavy.

OT, Sadly, yesterday, one of my Sansui 8" drivers passed away :bawling: Oh, well, an excuse for another project?

Storm pipe - update

attached is an update to this project, 57L cabinet made from 30Cm stomwater pipe. Driver compliment is now 1x CW2108 +1x CW2135/side, the original boxes above will have Sansui cone tweeters, the pipes will get the Seas tweeters.
Probably have to wait till after the school hols to get them assembled though...

Attachments

• p9220001b.jpg
    p9220001b.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 392
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.