Cheap 6.5" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Progress

Must be the simplest xover I’ve done yet; when adjusting the L-pad it sounded just right at max, so I’ve omitted it altogether; so xover at 4Khz is merely 3.7uF and .42mH. No LP filter, the natural drop-off of the poly cones is just right.
Of course that will change when I do BSC, bass is a bit recessed but plenty of low extension; currently adding a little with tone control; cello, double bass & vocals sound excellent, but as these will probably end up against a wall, I may not need much BSC.
Options: whack in a big inductor (~2.3mH); add another driver (too lazy to do this); or use a sub. I’ll probably try the inductor eventually, but enjoying them just as they are at present.

Attachments

• img_1319b.jpg
    img_1319b.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 317
final tweaks

after moving these to their final destination, tuned the ports on the 'storm pipes' up to ~38 Hz to gain a couple of dBs at the low end, and added 1.8mH BSC inductors in series with the lower drivers; result is a much better evenly balanced sound, & still only 3 xover components!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.