Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter - Don't be deterred by anti-commercial comments on the forum. The chassis is hardly an out and out commercial product given that everyone on this thread has had the opportunity to influence the layout, design and look of the chassis. It's a unique opportunity to be involved with the design of something like this and then have it made to (more than) commercial standards.

If something like the chassis then takes it's place as a commercial item on your website, I for one will be happy to be able to say I was in at the beginning of it.

Colin

I agree with Colin.

I think the University research model (at least at my Alma Mater M.I.T.) might be a good way of looking at this commercial vs. non-commercial thing.

Professors give a lot to the common good. But they also have an opportunity to use the fruits of their research in commercial endeavours.

I hope Peter isn't planning on paying any bills with this
commercial endeavour. With the amount of work going
in to producing this group buy i seriously doubt he's seeing much
if any profit. Just the packaging and shipping alone would be
enough to drive me away from this type of activity. And you only
have to worry about that once ALL the other work is done.

Projects like this are what makes it fun to be part of this community.
It also keeps the post count up, etc. etc... so let's have some fun.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Boy, I just finished getting my Par chassis drilled , the pot installed on a separate bracket, the heatsinks installed, standoffs for the boards, etc.

If you have any respect for your time, the $90 difference between Peter's chassis , with holes drilled and locations of components determined, is a bargain. Of course it looks many TIMES better also.

I wanted to do more myself, so that I felt that I had done more of a DIY project, so I'm happy, but the point is that the chassis on this thread is a great deal!!!

I didn't want to mention that before (and I'm just going through the paperwork, not to mention cutting 100 pcs of maple boards and 100pcs of 0.5 x 3" aluminum brackets, and later sorting the screws and packing everything). You are basically getting the chassis, which is the same quality as any of Pass Labs front end equipment.

Guys, this may well be one of the best bargains this forum came across so far;)

As I stated before, I'm not accepting currently any further payments, so this is not an advertisement;)

Perhaps I didn't state my idea clearly enough. I agree, the current project, and future projects that Peter does here, aren't commercial endeavours. This is what I meant by the common good.

Furthermore, as in Universities, I think Peter should be able to use the fruits of his research in other areas - like for his audio companies, advertising similar products on his web site, etc.

Colin said:
Peter - Don't be deterred by anti-commercial comments on the forum. The chassis is hardly an out and out commercial product given that everyone on this thread has had the opportunity to influence the layout, design and look of the chassis. It's a unique opportunity to be involved with the design of something like this and then have it made to (more than) commercial standards.

If something like the chassis then takes it's place as a commercial item on your website, I for one will be happy to be able to say I was in at the beginning of it.

Colin

In my mind also, this clearly differentiates this project from a straightforward commercial offering. I agree also, that these type of projects are a benefit to the community.

After the initial group design/buy is completed future offerings could be considered commercial and might best be moved to the trading post section or wherever is considered appropriate for such things. That might satisfy those who have concerns about the technical forums being overtaken by commercial messages?

Sheldon

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
bequerel said:
Brian,
Are you now ready to take new orders for Premuim kits, and is it OK to order from your order pages? I am ready to order immediately.

(You may allready have answered this question somewhere above, but this thread is now 62 pages long...)
;)

This is that chassis thread, but I am preparing a new order page now for the premium kits.

--
Brian

OK, the silkscreening is finally finalized, and here how it looks.

Attachments

• fp.jpg
    fp.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 482
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.