Chassis Discussion

Silly me...I just ordered a $25 set of m4 taps because I didn't bother to measure the UMS heatsink that was right in front of me. Glad I saw this. Need to drill/tap a few additional holes for an F6. Back to McMaster...

Not sure if my assumptions are even correct. Looking for confirmation.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think, but don't hold me to it, that Lian Li tool-less case screws are m3. Back in my computer building days, I remember that Lian Li cases used nonstandard screws.

Just checked my email and totally forgot that I had asked the store helpdesk a similar question - must have had a brain freeze when i posted that. Here's their response:

"The standoffs and bolts for the circuit boards are 3mm diameter as used on Lian Le computer cases. Most computers use #6 bolts and stand-offs, but the stand-offs made for Lian Le computer cases will work perfectly."

Now that I have the correct standoffs, I am now struggling to find screws to attach to heatsink. #4-40 are just a little too small. Not many stock metric stuff. I'll go back and check
if I have any leftover Lian Li screws but doubt it. In meantime any suggestions?

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
OK, the heatsinks are tapped for 3mm bolts.

What are the case bottom holes tapped for (if they are indeed tapped)?

Also, is the mounting for the PIM module tapped, or is it simply a hole for a screw and nut?

Thanks

The holes in the perforated base are 4mm in diameter. That means an M3 thread/screw will drop straight through (good if you are using a nut or matching female part), and an M4 thread/screw will "press fit" into it if you want to screw something into it.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I just preordered the Al 4U chassis. Looked through a bunch of post over the past week related to my F5 build. Questions on hole threading in the chassis.

My understanding...
The predrilled holes in the heatsink for 3mm screws.
The predrilled holes in the bottom for 4mm screws.

Heatsink: M3 threads for M3 screws.
Perforated baseplate: 4mm diameter holes, no thread.

Are the PIM holes threaded?

Thanks in advance.

PIM? The perforated base? No. Front panel (on the most recent batch of Deluxe chassis)? Yes (M3).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm awaiting info from others on all your questions but I can answer this one for you right now. Hifi2000 says "The minimum depth of the thread is 5 mm", so you can use that information when deciding on what thread length to purchase. The previous threads we supplied were sometimes a fraction longer than the depth of the hole - for the next batch we'll probably get ones that are 5mm or less in thread length.

Any word on this?

The PIM is the power input module, with fuses and switch. The unit specified in the Deluxe 4U chassis attached to the back panel. From the pictures, there is mounting holes. My question was, is the hole threaded or just a plan hole? Is it 4mm plain hole like the bottom panel?

Also, what size is the mounting holes for the speaker jacks? Is it specific to one brand or more generic? I don't think it necessary to spend tens of dollars on such an item, and have several that many fit if I knew the dimensions.

Thanks again for any assistance.

The PIM is the power input module, with fuses and switch. The unit specified in the Deluxe 4U chassis attached to the back panel. From the pictures, there is mounting holes. My question was, is the hole threaded or just a plan hole? Is it 4mm plain hole like the bottom panel?

I have the 5U Deluxe and these holes are just plain holes, no threads. The module from the diyA kit I got mounts with machine screws. It's not 4mm, much smaller. I'd measure but I don't want to take it out now that it's on there. Not a bad idea to use bolts though, the screw tips have got me a couple times. These holes are easily drilled out.

The speaker jack holes are probably 10mm. The binding post itself is 9mm. Sorry, can't measure the hole itself as I already used Loctite on these.

The PIM holes are not threaded. I used a 4-40 flathead screw.

Also, plan on buying some 6-32 flathead screws half inch length to hold the mounting grid in place. The supplied screws aren't long enough.

A bit of a red flag. For the price being charged for the case, I would assume that someone has assembled a test unit, and that the supplied hardware works. I bought a cheap case from China for a Class D amp project, and despite the low cost, everything fit. Am I missing something here?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Firstly, thanks for all the questions! It's great to see people sticking these together and I can't wait to see finished photos :)

The back panel questions were never an issue while we were still offering the back panel parts kit. It looks like we'll definitely offer that again, but in the meantime we'll work out how you can get compatible parts. Apologies for the delays on this - there has been some house moving / logistical issues getting the information.

Ah. Sorry I've only ever heard it as PEM (Power Entry Module), so it didn't click for me - we have so many 3 letter acronyms for stuff :)

The PEM mounting holes are not threaded. They are 3.2mm diameter holes through 3mm aluminum. I am waiting to hear back from Mark on the exact specs of the stuff we had in our kit - the details are unfortunately offsite.

Also, what size is the mounting holes for the speaker jacks? Is it specific to one brand or more generic? I don't think it necessary to spend tens of dollars on such an item, and have several that many fit if I knew the dimensions.

Thanks again for any assistance.

I have attached a mechanical diagram for the 4U and 5U back panels that shows all the exact dimensions for everything, including the PEM mounting holes, RCA holes and binding post holes.

The binding post holes are 11.5mm in diameter with a 2.5mm notch. The notch is suitable for "locking washers" as seen in premium brands like WBT, and Dayton. You can of course use anything you like in there that will fit, including smaller ones using some kind of washer. If you want to do it all yourself or use a smaller size we do offer Deluxe chassis with a plain back panel so you can do it however you like and to your specification and there's even some spare blank back panels in the store to save you if you have borked it up completely.

A bit of a red flag. For the price being charged for the case, I would assume that someone has assembled a test unit, and that the supplied hardware works. I bought a cheap case from China for a Class D amp project, and despite the low cost, everything fit. Am I missing something here?

I checked with Hifi2000 and it turns out there are two issues.

Firstly the supplied bolts for mounting the base are the same as they have been for many years and they work as Hifi2000 intended. That is, they work with the flanges up (what they consider a "normal" orientation for the base).

However, they aren't long enough to flip the perforated base upside down. Which is how I would recommend you mount it :) This is the first time anyone has reported this issue, and we will ensure all re-stocks include a set of longer bolts so you can mount the perforated base upside down - this gives transformers more room to slide off the edge of the base without encountering a flange and also enables the riser panels to work properly.

So yes, this is something that fell through the cracks when people in 3 countries were collaborating on putting these together.

As always with anything to do with the diyAudio store, we have a "100% satisfaction guaranteed" policy and we will do whatever it takes to make all our customers totally happy. So if anyone would like those longer bolts just contact store support and we'll send you out some. We will do whatever it takes to make every customer completely satisfied. I'll send you out a set of longer bolts.

I also have a problem with the screws for the feet, they do not thread into the bracket. I can thread in the self tapping screws just fine, but all 4 rails are the same.

I have checked on this and the feet supplied were compatible with iron covers not aluminum covers. I am speaking to Hifi2000 on this to find the best workaround.

Any word on this?

I am still waiting to hear back on this myself, and have re-requested the information. Apologies for the wait. Hopefully the diagrams attached in the PDF will give you enough information to make some progress in the meantime.

Attachments

• backplate specification - jason v1.6.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Aside from what Jason noted the case is flawless. I had a small issue with the holes for the top lining up but it turned out be user error. I reassembled and everything fit. I got the back panel kit and all of those parts too fit perfectly. I am very impressed with the fit, finish and quality of the case and components.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Aside from what Jason noted the case is flawless. I had a small issue with the holes for the top lining up but it turned out be user error. I reassembled and everything fit. I got the back panel kit and all of those parts too fit perfectly. I am very impressed with the fit, finish and quality of the case and components.

Making a video of how to stick them together is on the todo list :)

My workaround for the feet was to use a half inch long self tapping sheet metal screw. I think it was #6, I just have a bunch in my parts bin.

I agree that the case is beautiful. The only assembly issues beyond substituting a couple of screws were caused by my chosen amplifier board. I put a Jens Rasmussen 10 out put Leach clone in it. The board takes up almost all available space on the heat sinks once the angles are installed. There wasn't enough room to slide the base in between the angles and the circuit board.

Normal assembly would be as follows after the amp is mounted to the sinks:

1. Attach angles to heat sinks.
2. Screw sinks to front panel. A small handle diameter is helpful. You may want to use an offset screwdriver to do the final tightening depending on your finger strength.
3. Slide base in from the rear and attach. If you haven't already, attach the transformer(s), power supply and any other connections such as mains ground and main audio ground.
4. Turn over and attach bottom panel using self tapping sheet metal screws.
5. Make connections to rear panel, then screw it in place.
6. Lay the top panel in place with leads to check bias running out. With my Leach amps the bias increased almost 50% with the top installed. :eek:
7. Install the top cover and enjoy.

I recently assembled the 4U Deluxe case along with the back panel parts kit. It's super high quality and very precisely manufactured. Very impressive.

- Everything will align perfectly if you loosely fasten and sort of square things up as needed.

- I bought longer M4/0.7 bolts so I could flip the perforated baseplate upside down to allow more flexibility for component mounting (per Jason's comment).

- I bought longer M4/0.7 bolts for the plastic feet.

- I ditched all self-tapping screws and tapped the corresponding holes on the steel brackets. There were enough "extra" black bolts in the kit to accomplish this. Not really a fan of self-tapping screws, but that's just me.

Now I just need to fit an amp to it.

BK

I have had my Deluxe 4U chassis for a couple of weeks and just started to play around with it. For the most part it is very nice but there appear to be some significant QA issues with the one I received that are not apparent until you look at it very carefully.

1. The heat sinks do not have all of the holes that are shown in the specification for a Deluxe 4U and each heat sink is missing 3 holes. Did the specification change or is this a defect? Fortunately I don't need any of these holes for my project but it might affect someone else so heads up.

2. At least two of the holes (Ones that I need for my project) in one heat sink are not fully tapped or are not deep enough and the M3 standoffs from the parts kit don't screw in all the way. All the other holes I checked seem OK.

3. None of the holes in the front panel are tapped.

The hole tapping issue is not a deal breaker since I can run down to the hardware store and pick up a tap. However it is a minor disappointment and is something that should be corrected in the future. This is something that should never have been allowed to leave the factory.

As has been pointed out by others the screws for the bottom internal base panel are too short to mount the panel "upside down". Easy to fix. But I would like to point out that all of the drawings of possible internal layouts for the Deluxe 4U on the store web site show the panel "upside down". On the other hand the photo of the Deluxe 4U does show the panel mounted the other way. In addition, I will need to use this mounted "upside down" to have enough room for the mounting bolt/washer/nut for the transformer since there will not be enough room for this if the tray is mounted the other way.