Chassis Discussion

I see that the chassis should be shipping soon. I'm ready! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 514
My preorder (July) shipped Friday. I also ordered again on 8/19, which hasn't shipped yet. I assume that the fullfillment center is working its way through the orders as they came in.

If the order numbers my two orders have are any indication, there are a LOT of orders. This was a MAJOR undertaking. Many Thanks Jason, et. al.

I have the Deluxe 5U that I'm filling with a dual mono Honey Badger. The base plate is about half an inch shy of both the front and back plates. Any reason not to have the base plate fill the front-to-back dimension flush? That extra inch would sure come in handy. I can remove the lips, but that's a bunch of work.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Any news on shipping dates for small galaxy chassis? Made an order couple of days ago, not complaining, just to know some estimations to plan my other diy activities :)

Hi there. They started shipping a few days ago.

My preorder (July) shipped Friday. I also ordered again on 8/19, which hasn't shipped yet. I assume that the fullfillment center is working its way through the orders as they came in.

If the order numbers my two orders have are any indication, there are a LOT of orders. This was a MAJOR undertaking. Many Thanks Jason, et. al.

Magento updates the order number anytime someone adds stuff to the cart so the order number isn't representative of actual orders placed. And yes, this was a lot of stuff and we're learning as we go :)

Just got e-mail the it has been shipped! Nice job, thanks :)!

Great :)

My 2nd order includes an F5T board set - there's the delay. It's OK, I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime. :D

Yes, the F-5Ts are holding up several orders still. As soon as I have news on them being finished I'll update the stock info thread.

I have the Deluxe 5U that I'm filling with a dual mono Honey Badger. The base plate is about half an inch shy of both the front and back plates. Any reason not to have the base plate fill the front-to-back dimension flush? That extra inch would sure come in handy. I can remove the lips, but that's a bunch of work.

Thanks for the feedback. We actually discussed that internally, designed a longer baseplate and also an alternative version that had different hole mounting options so you can mount it forwards flush to the front as well as backwards. I can't remember the exact reasons for not going full depth but there were physical complications that meant it was too hard or too many compromises to be made.

I'd suggest you mount the baseplate with the flanges down so they don't get in the way. I'd only use the flanges up if you were desperate for vertical space. With the flanges down you'll have a nice smooth surface and can let stuff like transformers hang over the edge a bit. That will also make it compatible with the riser panels (the holes will perfectly line up to the base and the holes in the front panel).

Hi there. They started shipping a few days ago.

Magento updates the order number anytime someone adds stuff to the cart so the order number isn't representative of actual orders placed. And yes, this was a lot of stuff and we're learning as we go :)

Great :)

Yes, the F-5Ts are holding up several orders still. As soon as I have news on them being finished I'll update the stock info thread.

Thanks for the feedback. We actually discussed that internally, designed a longer baseplate and also an alternative version that had different hole mounting options so you can mount it forwards flush to the front as well as backwards. I can't remember the exact reasons for not going full depth but there were physical complications that meant it was too hard or too many compromises to be made.

I'd suggest you mount the baseplate with the flanges down so they don't get in the way. I'd only use the flanges up if you were desperate for vertical space. With the flanges down you'll have a nice smooth surface and can let stuff like transformers hang over the edge a bit. That will also make it compatible with the riser panels (the holes will perfectly line up to the base and the holes in the front panel).

I actually do need the vertical space to mount the v3 PSU boards flat against the front panel. I think I'm going to redrill the baseplate holes so it sits flush against the back plate, that way my toroids can sit flat on top of the baseplate and be pushed almost to the back plate. I am, admittedly, packing a LOT of components and large toroids into this.

Got my 2U Pesante today. All the IEC inlets I have and can find in the Mouser catalog seem to want a 30 x 21 mm hole. I measure it at 30 x 20 mm on this case and my inlets don't fit. What size is the IEC hole on the back supposed to be?

I suppose I could hit it with a file, but if there is an IEC that fits, I'd appreciate the model number. TIA.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Is it possible to get a DXF of the 2U Pesante chassis that was delivered yesterday? It would be nice so I don't have to draw it first before water jetting the holes needed for the front, bottom and rear panel.

Thanks.

There are a whole bunch of DXF files at the following URL, including a 2U Pesante in the Pesante archive. Let me know if that suits:

Hi-Fi 2000 contenitori per l'elettronica, case modding HTPC, Galaxy, rack, DIYaudio, computer cases, front panel express, knobs,milled Handles, milled fronts, hi-end,

I actually do need the vertical space to mount the v3 PSU boards flat against the front panel. I think I'm going to redrill the baseplate holes so it sits flush against the back plate, that way my toroids can sit flat on top of the baseplate and be pushed almost to the back plate. I am, admittedly, packing a LOT of components and large toroids into this.

Ah - adventurous :) Yes mounting two PSU's on the front of a 4U is really pushing it (I bashed my head against that configuration for a long time) but I'm glad you're having a go at it. I think you are probably on to a good idea with re-drilling the base so you can shift it back, though do note there are notches that will probably also need to be extended in order to make room for the heatsink bracket mounts. There's of course many ways to skin that cat.

Got my 2U Pesante today. All the IEC inlets I have and can find in the Mouser catalog seem to want a 30 x 21 mm hole. I measure it at 30 x 20 mm on this case and my inlets don't fit. What size is the IEC hole on the back supposed to be?

I suppose I could hit it with a file, but if there is an IEC that fits, I'd appreciate the model number. TIA.

Actually, the DXF for that doesn't specify a hole, and no holes are mentioned on the HF2K website website :) So I guess considering you actually want to stick an IEC outlet in there it's a feature and not a bug :) I'll check with HF2K.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Jason, any idea when the Deluxe 4U "jack of all chassis" will be back in stock?
I should have bought two :(

Are the back panel kits back in stock? I canceled my order because there was no timeline for re-stocking.

The limited number we had sold out quickly - sorry! There are still a few with blank back panels in Aluminum if you feel like cutting your own back panel out (very easy with Aluminum) but it's pretty clear from the sales that everyone likes the pre-cut back panels.

We already have a new batch in production and they will be available within 3 months, perhaps 2. I've now made those available for pre-ordering so feel free to secure yourself one from the next batch if you would like one.

We've hopefully reached a point with these chassis now where you can literally put it together without having to use any powered tools at all - even the transformer hole in the base can be made big enough by just reaming out by hand one of the existing center line holes.

I'll post news about the back panel parts kit soon. We might adjust the contents slightly for the next batch.

Thank you for the info - now that I know its 3 months out, i'll put an order in for the 4u with blank panel. Before I start assembling my 4U, I'll use the pre-cut panel as a template, just so that I can get the same look.

I saw somebody asking about displaying LED on the front panel, maybe they can mount the led through one of the holes in the base near the front so it shines out from below.