Chassis Discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
None of the aluminum Dissipante chassis are available through the store at present.

Is this a temporary situation?

Interestingly, the Deluxe aluminum appears to be available.

Everything is currently available. What model or combination are you trying to purchase. There are some combinations sometimes that are impossible to purchase. We could also have made a mistake! Let me know :)

Everything is currently available. What model or combination are you trying to purchase. There are some combinations sometimes that are impossible to purchase. We could also have made a mistake! Let me know :)
Thanks for the reply, Jason. Navigating to Dissipante 4U defaults to "300mm w/Steel covers". If I scroll down, the "Add to Cart" button is enabled and I can add it to my cart. However, if I change the Depth option to "300mm w/Aluminum Covers" and scroll down, the button's label changes to "Unavailable" and the button is disabled. This behavior is consistent no matter how often you change the Depth option - i.e. Steel is always available but Aluminum never is.

A few other quibbles, if I may:
  • Changing the Depth option does not consistently update the price.
  • The Dissipante page says that the 4U is priced from $179, but the least expensive 4U is $184.
  • At the risk of being the kid who reminds the teacher of a quiz :eek:, it appears that purchasing the aluminum 4u with all the Deluxe add-ons is roughly $50 cheaper than the cost of the Deluxe itself.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply, Jason. Navigating to Dissipante 4U defaults to "300mm w/Steel covers". If I scroll down, the "Add to Cart" button is enabled and I can add it to my cart. However, if I change the Depth option to "300mm w/Aluminum Covers" and scroll down, the button's label changes to "Unavailable" and the button is disabled. This behavior is consistent no matter how often you change the Depth option - i.e. Steel is always available but Aluminum never is.

That's because you have also selected a 4mm Rackmount front panel. It's available in steel but not aluminum, which is why if you try to choose that combination it says "Unavailable". This is consistent with Hifi2000's website and product range - they don't offer it either.

Why that combination isn't possible, I am not sure. Historically, the reason is either "it won't fit" or "nobody has ever asked for it so it doesn't have an SKU". I will find out!

I agree it's a bit sucky the way that "Unavailable" thing works, and I have read of a javascript hack that will make it impossible to select combinations of options that aren't possible, rather than it just say "Unavailable" when you select a combination that is not possible. I agree that makes it seem like it's out of stock, instead of not being a possible combination.

It's buried deep in my current todo list, and generally I steer away from complicated changes to already complicated systems, but I will see if I can implement that :)

A few other quibbles, if I may:
  • Changing the Depth option does not consistently update the price.

Perhaps this is an artifact of the way unavailable products work? Can you please give an example, that doesn't involve selecting an impossible combination of options (in which case the price will stay the same but it will be "Unavailable"). If you're talking about selecting an unavailable product combination, I do understand. I could fix this by implementing the javascript hack mentioned above.

• The Dissipante page says that the 4U is priced from $179, but the least expensive 4U is $184.

300mm steel covers with 4mm faceplate is $179.

• At the risk of being the kid who reminds the teacher of a quiz :eek:, it appears that purchasing the aluminum 4u with all the Deluxe add-ons is roughly $50 cheaper than the cost of the Deluxe itself.

I think you're missing some options. Upgrading a 4U 300mm 10mm Faceplate Dissipante to Deluxe spec is $327 doing it piece by piece (add Deluxe front panel, Deluxe rear, 6 row covers, UMS heatsinks, baseplate). Purchasing it as a Deluxe is $319.

BTW I am aware of one problem - the steel Dissipante has a steel rear panel. The store shows it currently as having an aluminum rear panel (this is wrong). Fixing this is on my todo list (it comes from programatically generated meta data and requires some time to fix it).

Jason, could you please confirm with hifi2000 the following information:

mini dissipante 3U 300mm heatsink 0.4W/C

normal dissipante 4U 300mm heatsink 0.5W/C

It doesn't make much sense that the smaller heatsink has better dissipation but if it is indeed correct it would make a great candidate to house the sony vet amplifier.
Enough space inside for the PSU board (without the diode board) and for a 130-150mm transformer.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Jason,

I was about to purchase yet another chassis from the DIYAudio store when it added a FedEx shipping charge. On the chassis page it still says "All prices include shipping to anywhere in the USA".
Can you clarify?

I'm guessing you added something extra like a baseplate that added extra weight and moved the actual shipping price up into another tier. If that happens it will create a small "supplement" shipping charge. If this wasn't the case please email contact@diyaudiostore.com with the details of what you were trying to order and we'll see what's going on.

We used to have a notice at the top of the options area advising that adding extras can incur (usually minor) additional shipping charges depending on the weight. It looks like that information missing on some of the options areas now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I can confirm that the text about shipping surcharges was missing from about half the chassis option pages. This has now been fixed and every page where adding additional weight to the shipment could result in a small surcharge, now has a note stating this right next to the "Add to cart" button.

I'd love to absorb that cost but it would be impossible without raising prices overall, so for now we're going to keep passing through additional shipping surcharges like this transparently.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Jason, could you please confirm with hifi2000 the following information:

mini dissipante 3U 300mm heatsink 0.4W/C

normal dissipante 4U 300mm heatsink 0.5W/C

It doesn't make much sense that the smaller heatsink has better dissipation but if it is indeed correct it would make a great candidate to house the sony vet amplifier.
Enough space inside for the PSU board (without the diode board) and for a 130-150mm transformer.

MASantos look here: there is more information available:

40mm Heatsink Information – diyAudio Store

Hi Jason:

About to place an order for two chassis but noticed that the Galaxy 3U chassis which I plan to use to house the power supply for my build does not seem to offer rear panel IEC socket option. Can I ask for an IEC socket hole punched on the rear panel and is there a charge for it?

Thanks!

Dissipate 3U 400mm w/ baseplate, 4mm front panel

I ordered just a few days ago and it arrived today. Unbelievably short shipping time.

Everything looks really, really good, goes together smoothly, and is solid as a rock.

I think this is an amazing chassis for the price, it rivals anything else I've come across!

Chassis for a passive pre?

Newbie here, looking for a nice chassis for my first passive preamp build. I want a chassis that will blend nicely (style-wise, not size-wise) with my First Pass J2 amp. As it will be passive, I don't need an IEC knock-out or heat sinks. Can someone point me to which chassis would best fit my needs?

Tom

Newbie here, looking for a nice chassis for my first passive preamp build. I want a chassis that will blend nicely (style-wise, not size-wise) with my First Pass J2 amp. As it will be passive, I don't need an IEC knock-out or heat sinks. Can someone point me to which chassis would best fit my needs?

Tom

I'm leaning towards the Galaxy 2U or 3U, with the 10mm faceplate and steel top and bottom.