Chassis Discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
THIS is a gentle reminder regarding the possibility of the Store offering heatsinks alone as per pre-drilled options for 4U and 5U Store cases.

Any progress Jason?

Many thanks.

Regular and UMS pre-drilled heatsinks along with chassis mounting brackets for 300 and 400 deep Dissipante / Deluxe chassis are now available for purchase separately in the store:

Cover substitutions are coming shortly, hopefully by the end of today.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Is it possible to specify a fully vented cover for a chassis? This would be for a Pesante or Slimline. The modushop site indicates it's a €5 option and can only be purchase at the time the chassis is ordered.

Substitutions are now done for Dissipante chassis. Slimline, Pesante, Galaxy and Mini Dissipante should be done within 24 hours.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I am interested as well except non drilled 4u heat sink with mounting angles top and bottom. This would make easier to swap out complete heat sink and boards.

Jim

Every regular heatsink size as well as the two UMS (4Ux300 / 4Ux400) heatsink sizes are now available for purchase separately. For the 5Ux400 style heatsinks comprised of two individual heatsinks, you'll also probably need a pair of chassis mounting brackets.

Is it possible to specify a fully vented cover for a chassis? This would be for a Pesante or Slimline. The modushop site indicates it's a €5 option and can only be purchase at the time the chassis is ordered.

This has now been implemented.

Pesante
  • All Pesante's have steel covers with 2 or 3 rows of vents in the back section by default. These can now be upgraded to fully vented covers.
  • You can now select whether to add an IEC hole in the rear panel or have it blank.

Slimline
  • Slimline comes with either steel and aluminum covers by default. All sizes can be now substituted for either totally blank, or fully vented covers.
  • For the 1U model, you can now select whether to add an IEC hole in the rear panel or have it blank

Galaxy
  • Galaxy comes with either steel and aluminum covers by default. Aluminum Galaxies (only) can now have their covers swapped out for fully vented covers.
  • 2U and 3U Galaxies can now have the bolt holes in the front panel removed, if you should so desire

Dissipante

All options/extras now have a block of informational text when you select them, as several people were asking what baseplates were, etc.

Sorry again one last time for this taking so long, but I assure you behind the scenes it is unnecessarily complicated.

Hey Jason,

I am looking at the 330mm x 280mm Galaxy 2U (Aluminum) chassis. The only front panel available with this chassis is the silver aluminum 10mm.

Is it possible to get it a different size other than 10mm, say 5mm?

No, just 10mm and 3mm.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all of this Jason.........you Store people have obviously worked hard on setting up these options.

I have ordered 2 sets of heatsinks and, as I live in Europe [UK], was redirected from the store site to the Italian supplier. [I hope that the Store gets a financial kick-back on such orders]

I ordered -I think - on Wednesday and have had confirmation from the Courier that my order will be delivered here on Tuesday - six days total is excellent service.

Congratulations on a really useful addition to membership.

Jason, simple question I have been waiting for, for at least 3 weeks.

Can you machine or punch is the rear of the chassis XLRs and RCAs, how would you do this, or could you do this. I have been waiting to purchase chassis on this answer.

I know the weather been horrid in Houston, however your either in business or not!

Maybe if you stated the capabilities' of the machine shop your using and it's the requirements it might make it simple for all.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay. Due to the way I had things set up with the new beta store, I was doing all the customer service for it instead of Elena, our wonderful and highly responsive helpdesk manager. I forcefully commandeered the job from her when I set up the new store. Elena is wonderful at taking care of our customers, while I'm best described as "sporadic". I have been juggling other urgent development tasks instead of doing a great job on the helpdesk(s), and I failed to prioritize my replies to customer enquiries.

As we've grown, organically and in a very haphazard way, things had gotten highly unorganized. We were using 3 different helpdesk platforms and had dozens of email addresses - it's been a bit of a mess but we've managed to get by until now. We'd reached a stage where we needed to do things properly and in a "best practise", commercial oriented way. I'm a perfectionist and having anything less than stellar customer support is unacceptable to me. That same drive for perfection can at times, like this, lead me to forget that imperfection is still what's required to run a good business.

Over the last 2 weeks I have been working around the clock on totally overhauling diyAudio's email servers and helpdesk system (along with several others which are tied to it) and it's been easy for me to race towards that finish line because I know once it's done - we'll have world class customer support for everybody. I could have handled this better and kept on top of customer enquiries but I didn't and I apologize.

The good news is that last night we switched all our email, and all our helpdesks into one singular, enterprise grade platform. I can promise you that from today we'll be doing a much better job at ensuring we provide exemplary customer service. This is what we've done for years, have failed at for the last 2-3 months when I put myself in the way, and what we'll go back to starting immediately.

In regards to your question "Can you machine or punch is the rear of the chassis XLRs and RCAs, how would you do this, or could you do this. I have been waiting to purchase chassis on this answer." the answer is that with aluminum this is no problem at all. Any work you want done can be done on a one off basis, with around a 10 day production time.

However, this is not the case for steel as it's much harder to work with and requires different machines. For steel panels there is a minimum quantity (I believe 10 or 20 pieces).

Perhaps of interest, we plan to offer a steel "Deluxe" chassis in the future.

Thanks for the chance to explain the situation and once again I apologize for the delay in my replies to you caused by our "growing pains".

Janson,

Having a folded steel plate that make up the botton, sides and back a problem for machining the back pannel pannel after bent a problem. I am not in a hurry to spend hours at a drill press to 4 or 5 chassis. Drilling out a dozen XLRs and 10 RCAs. In addition setting this in a press is not simple as the stage is not designed to work in a stand-up configuration. Really to make these chassis usefull for preamps and integrated amps they need to be punch first or have a total separate back.

I don't quite understand the delay in responding to such simple question either. So since it difficult and issue to mount these on a drill press stage and I will not do the by hand, are the worthless except for power amps and sperate power supplies, it seems so.

It's to bad as I like the chassis.
Regards
James

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Janson,

Having a folded steel plate that make up the botton, sides and back a problem for machining the back pannel pannel after bent a problem. I am not in a hurry to spend hours at a drill press to 4 or 5 chassis. Drilling out a dozen XLRs and 10 RCAs. In addition setting this in a press is not simple as the stage is not designed to work in a stand-up configuration. Really to make these chassis usefull for preamps and integrated amps they need to be punch first or have a total separate back.

In order to answer your question I need to know specifically if you would like aluminum or steel covers. There might be a little bit of a communication problem here because I am still confused. Can you please let me know what "Having a folded steel plate that make up the botton, sides and back a problem for machining the back pannel pannel after bent a problem" means exactly? It sounds like you have very specific requirements, so please let me suggest the following: I will contact you directly from our new helpdesk, merge in all our previous communication, and we can exchange messages rapidly about your requirements.

For anyone following this thread, I can explain this a little simpler: We can work aluminum. We can't work steel.

Aluminum: We can do almost anything you want with aluminum panels. If you want us to CNC, drill or stamp it's no problem at all but we can only do that to aluminum panels.

Steel: Steel is cheaper, but much harder to work. Currently we don't offer panel working services for steel unless you want a commercial amount of chassis (>10).

If you want us to work your chassis please order a chassis with aluminum panels.

I don't quite understand the delay in responding to such simple question either. So since it difficult and issue to mount these on a drill press stage and I will not do the by hand, are the worthless except for power amps and sperate power supplies, it seems so.

Very sorry about the delay in responding to your simple question. You contacted us initially on the 12th, I replied to you on the 12th that I was "snowed in" and would get back to you as soon as I could. On the 14th I replied with more details and a direct link to the appropriate information for the services you wanted in our store. I agree with you that a 2 day wait was unacceptable.

On the 15th I explained the difference between our aluminum and steel offerings, and asked you if you wanted steel or aluminum, but you didn't answer the question, so I couldn't provide you with more specific assistance. I can only work with the information provided. I should have followed up with you again as you must have missed the questions in my email, but instead I was busy with upgrading our email and helpdesk and failed to do that. I am sorry and that wasn't good enough.

We strive for "exemplary" customer service. Please let me again try to help you understand the delay that you experienced. As I explained in my last reply above, we recently hit "breaking point" with our growth here at diyAudio HQ and needed to totally re-invent our email and helpdesk systems. I had placed myself on the helpdesk for diyAudioStore during the beta launch period of the new store (a mistake - I should have had our helpdesk staff helping me as considering all my other responsibilities).

I'm very happy to say that this process is now complete - all our email accounts have been consolidated, and our helpdesks are now unified into one enterprise grade system. It was a painful process to go through (we're talking about consolidating over 50 email addresses and 4 helpdesks receiving several hundred emails a day), but it's complete now and I'm confident our new and wonderful, super efficient helpdesk infrastructure can handle our growth in 2016 and beyond.

Jason
Do you have prints for the 2U Pesante?

I'm looking at 300mm depth and 10mm Al for the front panel.

I'd like to have machining done and want prints to start with please.
Thanks
Mike

In regards to general dimensions, the general dimension are on the page itself and can be used in conjunction with the generic chassis dimension diagram to work out the dimensions. As you change the product using the dropdown boxes, the dimensions will also change. This used to be more obvious before I added the quantity pricing and extras selections, which has pushed the dimensions way to the bottom of the page. I'm going to see what I can do to get that information back up closer to the part of the page where you can select the different chassis sizes.

In regards to AI/DXF files you can find them here:

CAD files for customization of chassis panels – diyAudio Store (BETA)

They are all the files we have, but if you need anything else specifically please let me know.

Thanks for pointing out that this information is hard to find. It is presently only linked from the chassis customization page.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Update on "Duty" charges

One thing I might advise everybody of is that under the new system besides the shipping, you will also be billed duty. A week or so after paying for my 4U chassis I received a bill for duty of $16.74 in addition to regular shipping. Part of this was duty, and slightly less than half was an "advancement fee"....not sure what this is, maybe it is a fee for Fed ex paying the duty? I have alerted Jason who got back with me and said he would be checking into this, but its only been a few days and I have not heard back. I am waiting to pay it until I hear what Jason finds out, or Fed Ex starts to get nasty about it!

Jason, have you heard anything? Myself and another building friend are getting ready to order a couple more chassis in the next few days.

Russellc

I don't know if the charge is sporadic, or by dollar amount. I was charged on my 5U chassis order. Two subsequent orders of 4U chassis did not generate the charge. Just saying.:)

Russellc

My experience

Thought I'd post this here - you can see that I had asked a few questions in this thread weeks ago and received fairly prompt answers that helped me decide how to proceed.

I did eventually order a slimline 2U case through the diyaudiostore and was thoroughly pleased with all aspects of the process and the final result. I utilized the customization services for extensive CNC machining of the rear panel with over 50 individual holes and cutouts of various sizes and shapes, as well as digital printing of both front and rear panels.

Given the complexity and density of the rear panel machining desired, there was some up front correspondence to determine the best case to start with to achieve the desired result. The modushop staff sent CAD files of the various cases as well as clarification on how the panels fit, tabbing, etc. to make sure I didn't have a conflict between machining and assembly. The final result is impeccable CNC machining.

Working with vector graphics was new to me, and I had difficulty in getting the desired artwork to display properly in a format needed for printing. The modushop staff were again very patient and helpful, corresponding several times with suggestions on methods to try for proper conversion, and provided proof images prior to printing until we had everything just like I wanted it to look. The final result was flawless and beautiful.

My case was shipped with essentially all panels double shrink wrapped, plenty of foam packing, and all wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap. There were zero cosmetic blemishes an any part of my order.

The case itself, including fully vented top cover and perforated internal shelf, assembles easily enough and the design seems plenty sturdy for rack mounting. I like the slotted system of the internal shelf that gives adjustability of both the fore/aft shelf location as well as its height.

I couldn't be happier with how the case turned out, especially given the price. I looked at several other options, from completely one-off custom protocase to factory modified stock cases from other sources like BUD industries, to local having a local machine shop modify a stock case, and nothing compared once the complexity of CNC work and two panel digital printing was included. For large volume commercial production there may be more cost effective routes, but for the single DIY project or even small volume runs, I can't imagine looking elsewhere again.

In case anyone else was wondering, I did compare prices going through the diyaudiostore vs ordering directly on the modushop website. Given the current exchange rate and cost of shipping when ordering directly from modushop, my order was definitely cheaper going through the diyaudiostore. But the process was seamless, and all help with getting my order set up just like I wanted it came directly from modushop.

Can you post pics of the finished product? I'm sure I'm not the only one here that's curious to see how it turned out. :cool:

Thought I'd post this here - you can see that I had asked a few questions in this thread weeks ago and received fairly prompt answers that helped me decide how to proceed.

I did eventually order a slimline 2U case through the diyaudiostore and was thoroughly pleased with all aspects of the process and the final result. I utilized the customization services for extensive CNC machining of the rear panel with over 50 individual holes and cutouts of various sizes and shapes, as well as digital printing of both front and rear panels.

Can you post pics of the finished product? I'm sure I'm not the only one here that's curious to see how it turned out. :cool:

I'd be happy to but I think I'd prefer to assemble the amplifier and post pictures of it complete. Got a bit of wiring to do... 14 channels, and I'm in the middle of a move, so it may take a couple of weeks. I unboxed to inspect and test fit everything, but at the moment I don't even know where my Hakko is!

Went ahead and assembled empty. Will have to find solder station later. And when I find my good camera I'll replace these crappy phone pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 768
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 760
Wow! Nice amp RHosch! Well executed case. Bet that makes one hell of a whole house amp.
7 stereo zones, or 14 mono rooms?

This would make a fine distribition amp although as it wasn't designed for that purpose it doesn't include some useful features like channel linking or bus input.

It was designed with active systems in mind where numbers of channels needed can skyrocket. In my own case, an amp like this will eventually power just one speaker location - main + integrated height channel. Four-way dipole on bottom, three-way up top, separate rear firing tweeters for each, four bass drivers for the bottom each get their own channel...

I don't know if the charge is sporadic, or by dollar amount. I was charged on my 5U chassis order. Two subsequent orders of 4U chassis did not generate the charge. Just saying.:)

Russellc

Recently I ordered merchandise from Singapore. It was shipped FedEx Express and two days later I received a duplicate shipment by mistake.

A couple of weeks later I received 2 invoices from FedEx each included an $0.87 duty charges for a total of $41.74!!

I ignored the first billing cycle, but when the Past Due notice was delivered I contacted the Duty and Taxes Dispute department by calling their (800) number. I explained that I objected to being charged for the simple reasons that I had not authorized FedEx to deliver the packages without knowing there was an extra charge and that I would have refused the shipment if I'd known there was an additional charge, and finally that the second shipment was sent in error. The FedEx lady didn't argue, she just said she would take care of it.

I don't know if protesting the charges will be effective in this instance, but you might want to try. I don't have any problem paying any duty involved. It's just that I don't like getting hosed $20.00 for 87 cents!:soapbox: