Charlize 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After extensive listening sessions I decided to remove the buffer in front of my Charlize2. I definitely prefer the sound without it : maybe a little less mellow / musical but more precise / defined and this is what I like.

I consequently decided that I could live with a small DC (1 mV on left, 4 mV on right) at the input of my "capless" Charlize2. Hope this will not cause any harm.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Reviving an old thread. I recently picked up a Charlize 2 amp with SLA battery. It came with the nice Obbligato caps, which I have used and liked in past, but the input-capless concept is tempting me.

From the old post:
"You simply connect your source ground to the BIASCAP pin of the chip instead of the analog ground. This requires you to isolate the source ground and the power supply ground and Yeo does state that in the description."

So when I flip over the board to reveal 2020 pins, how do I identify the BIASCAP pin? And I connect ground of both left and right source to one pin?

This Charlize actually sounds quite good already, surprisingly similar in clarity and tone to my tweaked 2A3SET but I would like to bring out a little more micro-resolution AND smoothness at the same time (a Tall order I know).

So when I flip over the board to reveal 2020 pins, how do I identify the BIASCAP pin? And I connect ground of both left and right source to one pin?

Hi Drjlo, seeing as you are on an SLA battery for the amp, you have the opportunity to do the 'no caps' mod without any problems.
See attached for the Biascap pin.
Yes just attach both L & R signal grounds to the pin.
Cheers
Lee

Attachments

• biascap.GIF
    biascap.GIF
    20.8 KB · Views: 290
But be sure they are connected ONLY to pin 14, nowhere else!

Be sure to check the DC offset on the speaker terminals before connecting your speakers.

Thanks. Will do.

What would be an "acceptable" DC offset at the speaker terminals?

I plan to hook it up to a 95dB/7Ohm nominal speaker and also Stax Omega II Mk1 (via Stax SRD7 MkII). Will the Stax step-up transformer block DC anyway?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A few millivolts is OK. But basically your looking for many volts to see if you did it wrong!
Don't know about the Stax. If it's a real transformer, then yes. If an autoformer, no. But you still don't want much DC as it may saturate the transformer.

I went ahead and checked DC offset at speaker terminasl before doing any mods. Right channel measured at 6.6 mV, but the left channel measured at 101.6 mV!:eek:

I couldn't find anything obviously burnt, blown, or broken. What could be causing this large DC offset in left channel, and more importantly, how can I fix it?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
There are a few threads at diyparadise that says Charlize only guarantees max DC offset of 150 mV!

charlize 2 and dc offset

DC-offset in Charlize.

charlize mod?

I'm still very concerned about the 15X different in DC offset between left and right, especially since I plan to use Charlize II to power my two very expensive electrostat headphones vis Stax SRD-7 Mk II transformer.

I also plan to buy a pair of Quad ESL57 when I can find a pair in good condition nearby. Charlize's high DC offset is apparently "OK" for most speakers but bad for electrostats.

Yes! That's correct. This is because any small amount of DC from your DAC will be amplified by Charlize.

OK, I re-measured with source signal and ground shorted and there's no real difference in DC offset.

Another question would be, what would happen if I did the no-capacitor mod to my Charlize II by connecting source ground to BIASCAP of TA2020? Would the DC offset increase, decrease, or not change much?

I measured my DAC, and it has around 3 mV DC offset. Another component I would hook up the Charlize to is my Bryston 10B active crossover, which has ZERO (!) DC offset. Gotta love that Bryston engineering and quality control!

Last edited:
confusion

hello. i am very old in years and very new to this sort of thing. so please forgive the elementary nature of my question. i cannot figure out the warning given about the ground problem in charlize 2, other than the results of a mistake would be dire. it seems to me that the instructions given by keo are contradictory, so i would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me. thanks much. :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.