CFA Topology Audio Amplifiers

I don't understand. If the whole whole voltage gain decreases, it means there is more NEGATIVE feedback, so, the output impedance will *decrease* ?

This is precisely where semantics of CFA becomes problematic.
There is more negative feedback relative to the current sensed by the shunt resistance.

Consider the amp like a black box whatever its internal circuit.
If its output voltage decreases when it delivers current, it means that it is a voltage source with significant output resistance or impedance.

Anyway, as much speakers manufacturers try their best to sell flatest possible response curves in correlation with *voltages*, and most of the time don't care about impedance curves, i don't see any interest in making the system less flat, and less damped.
If one wants to work with a specific driver but inadequate damping, positive or negative impedance are ways to modify it. Other ways can be "bell" equalizations or transforms as such those made popular by Linkwitz.

See Erik Stahl works and comments at DIYaudio, searching "Stahl".

As kgrlee pointed earlier, speakers (any exception ?) are NOT designed to be current driven.
If the main resonance damping and frequency response problems are solved, there are great advantages to current driven topologies.
Search Meriläinen, Hawksford, Greiner and Smith.
Nelson Pass has also promoted current driven systems.

The ideal output impedance of an amp is 0. having a little negative can compensate resistances in cables. Going further, we enter in the "servo controled" speakers world, where speakers and amp have to be designed one for the other, IE self powered enclosures.
Maintaining an output voltage independant of the current it delivers to a load which impedances of vary can be considered as a whole servo-controlled system. This is the most common case, as usual amplifiers have a fraction of an Ohm output impedance.

If conceived as a whole system, making the amp to present a significant amp impedance carefully chosen for a specific driver can be very beneficial in many ways.
Of course it is a bit more complicated that the usual way to do things.

Last edited:
Amusing.
Joseph fourrier is dead around 1830 and was a mathematician. Feedback theories were developed long before i was born, and, i'm sorry, but:
"I think this view must be the result of anthropomorphic thinking about
amplifiers; twenty sinewaves of different frequencies may be conceptually more
complex to us, but to an amplifier it resolves to a single instantaneous voltage
that must be increased in amplitude. An amplitude. An amplifier has no
perspective on the signal arriving at its input, but must take it as it comes;
"
is a personal opinion, non a scientific demonstration. The signal itself modify the amplifier behavior and the amp is not the same before and after.
Welcome back in my ignore list to assign me words that I did not say, and do personal attack, as usual.

If that is true, then how is it possible to have IM distortion when it is only one instantaneous signal?

If that is true, then how is it possible to have IM distortion when it is only one instantaneous signal?

It seemed to me that when there is lack of tools and methods in studying or exam the linearity of a circuit or a system in time domain, people turn to means and methods in frequency domain where we are far better equipped. IM distortion can be viewed as a perception in frequency domain of certain time domain non-linearity problem. We have become so used to frequency domain means of studying, measuring, and designing our stuff that we often forget it is time domain that all physical events progress within, and confused illusion for reality.

Last edited:
not again with the "Fourier Denial"

the complex Fourier transform of a time and bandwidth limited signal is a Mathematical Dual of the time series data - all of the "time domain information" is present in the Fourier data - they can in principle be converted back and forth without loss - only limited in practice by numerical accuracy and windowing effects

There is more negative feedback relative to the current sensed by the shunt resistance.
Whatever you consider, current or voltages, "if the whole voltage gain decreases." means the voltage at the output ? If it decrease with a constant input source, the output impedance of the amp will... decrease. Whatever your feedback is current or voltage taken.I believe most of us, here, knows what is a current source.
I don't feel that way. CFAs are voltage amplifiers, despite their (controversial) name.
If the main resonance damping and frequency response problems are solved
That's all the problem. :D
Some use horns with a descending curve, and use serial resistance to take benefit of the selfic impedance increase to linearize more or less the response curve. I've got better results in: linearizing the impedance curve, correcting the response curve by a impedance compensated passive filter. More complicated, more expensive, i agree.

Well, what about returning in CFA's subject ? We can use them as well in a servo controlled speaker ;-)

I don't feel that way. CFAs are voltage amplifiers, despite their

Try this, break the feedback loop and insert a perfect voltage controlled voltage source in each type of circuit and see if they are both only a "voltage amplifier". Please do it in sim, I don't want you to blow anything up. ;)

You will see the feedback must also control the current into the inverting input to define the GBW (in one case of course). The feedback network sets the gm of the forward transfer, oh my what is gm voltage to current.

Last edited:
Agreed, that's why the blameless is so popular around here. Incidentally, with decent transistors (low Ccb), little is to be gained from separate current sources.

Unfortunately, most blameless amps on this forum wont exhibit the desired performance, since, very little attention is paid to induction from supply wiring/conductors. There is a considerable amount of practical skill/knowledge required to get the perceived theoretical performance of the schematic.

How so , can you be more detailed .....

Well many here are on a budget - they have families or what ever and this hobby comes from any time and money left over. If cost is not a concern then we would all have nice shiney new Audio-Precision instrumenets and the highest of hi quality in everything. Of course it matters. And, some build because it is the only way they can enjoy better sound at the price they can afford.

In industry it also matters as size means cost increases... larger realestate from larger pcb, larger box, etc. You can reduce the parts count and make the remaining parts smaller, of course.

But there is something else. A sort of challenge-- how sophisticated can we get... simplifying can not only save money but get results that are just as amazing as a circuit with many times the number of parts/transistors. There is a sense of elegance in doing that. As well as the challenge. How good can you make it with the fewest number of parts? Its my challenge to others and to my self. It turns out this topology does it for me in all these ways. is it better? that's never been the correct question for me.

Thx-RNMarsh

Are your amplifiers CFA Richard ?

Hi Petr,

I am sorry, but I also view what you have said here as a misconception. Properly designed, NFB handles the complex speaker load fine. This misconception was yet another thing "discovered" and spread by Matti Otala when he coined the term Interface Intermodulation Distortion (IIM). IIM does exist and can be measured, and I have done it, but it is not made worse by negative feedback. See the paper debunking this on my web site at CordellAudio.com - Home. While you are at it, see also my paper debunking most of what Otala said about Phase Intermodulation Distortion (PIM). There is also a section in my book, Designing Audio Power Amplifiers, that discusses many of the misconceptions about negative feedback.

Cheers,
Bob

So whats the NFB magic number , 15, 20, 50 db ..?

These are Sales figures so easily confirmed and not open to Golden Pinnae debate.

The Best seller was also designed by my R&D Dept. but not by me. If you were in the trade at that time, it should now be obvious what these models are :D

What time frame ....?

You will see the feedback must also control the current into the inverting input to define the GBW (in one case of course).
Indeed. Reason why we can use the feedback impedance to change-it in CFAs ;).
This said, as a CFA have a low output impedance comparing to the load/feedback network, we can still consider-it as a voltage amplifier, right ?
Is this one of the keys for the audio signature difference between the two topologies ?

What i wanted to say is, before the name "Current feedback was given to this topology, there was no such controversies about. Analog device (first to use this name ?) bears a heavy responsibility in global conflicts (between audio designers;-)
I believe you're one of those in the best position to explain the LTP universal fashion ?
oh my, what is gm voltage to current.
:D + effect of the input stage parasitic emitter capacitance ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Try this, break the feedback loop and insert a perfect voltage controlled voltage source in each type of circuit and see if they are both only a "voltage amplifier". Please do it in sim, I don't want you to blow anything up. ;)

You will see the feedback must also control the current into the inverting input to define the GBW (in one case of course). The feedback network sets the gm of the forward transfer, oh my what is gm voltage to current.

:cool::)

I don't feel that way. CFAs are voltage amplifiers, despite their (controversial) name.

In the circuit I was refering , there is a shunt resistor between the loudspeaker and the ground.If the voltage across this shunt resistor is fedback to the inverting input of an amp, it turns the amp to a current source. This kind of output control has been called a Current Feedback Amplifier for years.

I do not know how it is called by now, because this name, which is explicit about the kind of value under control, has been been usurped by a name which describes the internal function of the control (more exactly, describes the way a few people think this internal function works).

Playing with the voltage across the shunt (frequency tailoring, inverting...) allows to define a system different from what it is when the driver is submitted to a voltage source, ie an usual amp.
Of course, it can be done with VFA or CFA (maybe more predictable with VFA) it is just application of feedback theory.

Returning to the topology which this thread is about, were there studies or simulations about
- unbalanced currents in the complementary input pair
- about common mode distortion with this topology.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It seemed to me that when there is lack of tools and methods in studying or exam the linearity of a circuit or a system in time domain, people turn to means and methods in frequency domain where we are far better equipped. IM distortion can be viewed as a perception in frequency domain of certain time domain non-linearity problem. We have become so used to frequency domain means of studying, measuring, and designing our stuff that we often forget it is time domain that all physical events progress within, and confused illusion for reality.

Very nice argument - thanks for that!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
what happens to the distortion of a connected system with a speaker load on the VFA power amp and gnfb creating distorted power amp input bias (say single ended bjt input - worse case) and that affects the gnfb loop of the preamp.... and it's slew rates or other factors were just minimal on each amp by themselves.... is there anyway this can have any negative affects?

Does the input Z of the power amp driving a speaker ever-under any conditions (even clipping)- have an affect on the preceding FVA's gnfb loop and thus its distortion?

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
This kind of output control has been called a Current Feedback Amplifier for years.

I do not know how it is called by now, because this name, which is explicit about the kind of value under control, has been been usurped by a name which describes the internal function of the control (more exactly, describes the way a few people think this internal function works).
I agree (but the few people, unless you consider that, if it is not you, it is few people ;-)).
Ok, if you look, as you said, both amp topologies as black boxes, both let-you free to sense in the load whatever voltage/current/ or any combination of the two the way you like. You can even sense an other coil or an accelerometer to get better servo control of the speaker's membrane movement.

Pure semantic question, CFA is the name, nowadays, and we are all supposed to understand what it is about.

Last edited: