Car equipment in house it can be done and i am going to do it..EXPERTS!!!! watch me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am fedup seeing all over these forums that car audio equipment cannot be used in house....but....i just got off the phone with the adire audio dealer in my country and he wants to charge me ah foot and hand for the adire audio gear......and i have a measly job......soooo i am gonna buy car audio gear and make a system for 100% music.......it can be done....it has soooo many car subs in my country....1 must have a low enough FS to work with.....i heard car subs in home environment....it sounded good 2 me.......i am going to use componenyts for the mains...pictures and graphs would be published...you all would see....call me mad stupid or just plain angry.......but i am positive it can be done......bye.....if it fails tough luck......if you all think its a bad idea tell me.......if you all have any suggestions give me......byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's not whether it can be done, it's whether it should be...
I'm using an old car unit for background music at my electronics bench, but I don't confuse it with quality sound.
If money is the problem, buy something used or cruise the various designs available on the web. There are projects for every budget.

Grey

lol..in trinidad lol......good one.....the only thing we know about down here...is car music.......try again .and anything to order is pleeeeeeeanty money....a man want 2 sell me an adire audio ava250 for 2800$.....lol......to expensive for me.....if i buy that lol...i have no more money.....

Andre Baptiste

As a fellow West Indian, I hear you loud and clear.

One of the conflicts (Or misunderstandings) you will
encounter with people on the board is the lack of
information you are sharing to them in regards of
the type of music you will be using the speakers
for.

You will find some builders on this board that focus
on Video Home Theatre.

You will find some builders on this board that focus
on Music

Now. The ones that use their speakers for music
could possibly be different, than, the music you are
planning to use your speakers for.

You can build some good sounding subs with
car speakers providing;

1. You make the cabinet as solid as possible.

2. You pay attention to requirments needed from
the woofer to ensure the desired f3 you desire.

3. Go to www.linearteam.org and, download
WinSID

Throw the TS Parameters of the woofer(s) you are
planning to use in the program. And, scale accordingly
to your desired f3

Good Luck!

Re: Car equipment in house it can be done and i am going to do it..EXPERTS!!!! watch me

Andre Baptiste said:
I am fedup seeing all over these forums that car audio equipment cannot be used in house....but....i just got off the phone with the adire audio dealer in my country and he wants to charge me ah foot and hand for the adire audio gear......and i have a measly job......soooo i am gonna buy car audio gear and make a system for 100% music.......it can be done....it has soooo many car subs in my country....1 must have a low enough FS to work with.....i heard car subs in home environment....it sounded good 2 me.......i am going to use componenyts for the mains...pictures and graphs would be published...you all would see....call me mad stupid or just plain angry.......but i am positive it can be done......bye.....if it fails tough luck......if you all think its a bad idea tell me.......if you all have any suggestions give me......byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Please, by all means, do it!!! I am right there with you as far as being fed up with people in these forums. All they seem to do is bash other peoples ideas and talk them into changing thier minds into doing something completely different only because they think they know it all.

am a student...so money is kinda tight but ilove muuuuuuuuuusic looooove but i want to buy something with quality but cheap.......help help help....my pay for my job sucks....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I want a cheap system for 100% music......i hate movies

lol..in trinidad lol......good one.....the only thing we know about down here...is car music.......try again .and anything to order is pleeeeeeeanty money....a man want 2 sell me an adire audio ava250 for 2800$.....lol......to expensive for me.....if i buy that lol...i have no more money.....

Instead of complaining about having no money over and over and over, why don't you TELL us how much money you have to spend so people know what sort of drivers to suggest for your budget.

Andre... relax... there's nothing wrong with using car sound components in home. It is a little tough to find woofers with the right T/S params to go deep without the help of cabin gain, but it can be done. Part of the issue many of us have here in the US with autosound drivers is that they cost more than their home equivalent. For example, the drivers from JL, Kicker, Phoenix Gold, etc are way more expensive than what you can buy at Adire, Parts Express, MCM, etc.

The other tricky part is power. You didn't mention whether you plan to use a car amp... but the problem here is that the power supply to run it will cost more than the power amp. Remember that a couple hundred watts of amplifier power requires 20+ amps at 12V. This is one big, heavy, and expensive power supply. Sure, you can use a car battery... but then you only get a few hours of listening time between charges ... and most ordinary lead-acid batteries don't like to be repeatedly deep-cycled. And most of us don't want sulfuric acid and hydrogen gas in our living room :dead:

Otherwise, you're good go to. Let us know how your project turns out...

There was a good point made. What amplifiers are available to you?
I think it's very reasonable to try and use a coaxial car driver, say 6", in a TQWT. It seems most able to coax as much low end out of the driver with the fewest peaks. It may even be possible to use a pair of them per enclosure. The tricky part may be getting the driver parameters since most often car driver parameters aren't published.

Hey for what it's worth I'm building a home system using auto components right now and I expect pretty good sound as a result. I'm doing the reverse of what is being discussed here: I'm using a car deck for a preamp/CD/radio and a home amp for power and some home drivers for sound. My constraint was space and money. I want the smallest visual footprint (hence the auto deck). The power amp will be tucked away wherever I want.

I'm driving two stereo pairs for two different rooms, so I'm using both the front and rear stereo preamp outputs from the car deck. This feeds into a 4-channel amp (or two 2-channel amps), and then to the two home-brew speaker pairs. The auto deck is pre-amp only and doesn't have any power amp in it, and is powered by a small switching power supply I picked up (Radio Shack, Frys, etc.). The power amp runs on house current of course, so I don't need a huge 12V supply. The one trick piece of gear is a 12V trigger that turns on the power amp when the car deck turns on so I don't need to flip all those switches.

Components:

Auto deck: Used Alpine CDA-7930 head unit (circa 1997) CD/FM/AM preamp only with hi-quality capacitors, 4V pre-out, remote ~$150. Lots of CDA-79xx models around are similar, well-regarded pre-amps.

Home amp: Used ADCOM GFA-2535 4-channel amp (circal 1992), 100 WPC, ~$200. Or use any 2-channel amps you have in the garage.

12V power for head unit: 10A switched power supply (3A should be plenty). Switched power supplies don't waste power and get hot like simple transformers do. This will be on all the time. ~$50. This is power for pre-amp only.

12V trigger for power amp: Used Parasound SCAMP. ~$100 Amp must accept trigger for this to work.

Speaker drivers: Human Speakers kits for 4 speakers. Each speaker has 8" long-throw woofer and 1.5" dome tweeter, 1st order xo. Designed for sealed enclosures. ~$500 for all four kits. Well regarded at LDSG.

Speaker cabinets: Home-made 3/4" apple core plywood (like baltic birch), about 1 cubic foot per enclosure. ~$100.

Total: ~$1100 plus my time for a custom quality 2-room sound system that will disappear. Hope to have it complete this summer.

Cheers!
Wayne

For about a half a year, along time ago, in the days before CD's, I took my car audio system into my apartment complete with amps, box speakers, battery and charger. I never, cough, had any kind of trouble, cough, with the hydrogen gas in my apartment. I think, cough, that you should try it as well.

Just pretend you're, cough, in a limousine LOL!

Seriously though, you will have difficulty in getting the kind of sound you want in the larger area. ie: It will not sound as good as a house stereo does. My suggestion is to use house speakers to improve the overall sound.

Good luck with it, it worked for me when my wage was coming from McDonalds, and didn't have much choice.

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.