Car Amplifier Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The output of the supply can support an amp that produces 400-500 watts. If you have an amp driving a low impedance load, you'd have to reduce the rail voltage by using a lower winding ratio.

You cannot run them in series. I don't see any reason you couldn't run them in parallel.

The drivers are MPSA06/MPSA56. The IC is a TL594CN.

I'm not sure how high the input voltage can go. How high do you need it to go?

Perry Babin said:

If I'd ship it to Europe, I'd have to ship it via a trackable shipper (FedEx, UPS...).

Perry Babin said:
Before you decide if you want it, go to the FedEx or UPS sites and get a price from here (zip code 70737) to your address. The shipping service must require an adult signature for delivery.

Hi Perry,

I don't quite understand your thinking, in those parts about the international shipping. Maybe I can help. I hope you don't mind.

It sounds like you're trying to sell stuff. That's great. So I'll just relate a little about my experiences with selling and shipping internationally, and hope that it might help you, and maybe even some others.

My main point, below, is that, to sell the most, you need to make the shipping arrangements and pricing, etc (and the payment-method) "absolutely as painless as possible" for the potential buyer.

I used to sell a lot of electronic test equipment to individuals in Europe, and on three other continents.

Back then at least, FedEx and UPS seemed like the worst-possible shipping methods, because of their incredibly-high pricing.

USPS was almost always the preferred shipper, even though I always gave quotes for all three, usually with multiple options from each one. (You might also want to check out DHL, by the way.)

I don't think that USPS has their "surface" service, any more, which is unfortunate. But they should still have the several international Express and Priority air-shipping options that they used to have. One or two of their highest-priced options offered at least SOME sort of "tracking", although the details probably vary by destination country. And the pricing for even those was still WAY below the cheapest FedEx or UPS international shipping.

On the other hand, I don't really understand why you would want to insist on trackable shipping, anyway. You get paid in advance, send the stuff, and forget about it, right? If it disappears, the insurance should take care of it. And you're not talking very much money, for each sale, here, anyway. I think some of the USPS options are even automatically insured for well-over those amounts, without any extra fee, for most (or at least many) destination countries. (Or maybe it's Paypal that you're worried about? As far as I know, if there's a "claim", all you need for them is a receipt for having shipped it.)

Another *major* point is that you want to make everything absolutely as easy as possible for a potential customer. So that means that typically YOU should go to the usps.com (or usps.gov) and fedex.com and ups.com websites, and find out what options are applicable for their location, and send them as-detailed-as-necessary shipping options, with itemized price quotes, plus the total amount due (including your product) for each one, in case they decide to use it, plus a simple on-line payment-method option that they could use immediately (e.g. Paypal). (NOTE that that's ALL also good for YOU: It saves time and headaches, since you will eventually know what you're doing, there, and they typically won't. You'll always get to have it done the way you like, and are accustomed to. And you'll be more likely to make each potential sale.) Of course, you CAN pick just one shipping option that you want to always use, too, and just quote that one. But it should be close to the cheapest decent option that's available, if you're doing it that way. Cheaper shipping means a more likely sale, PLUS more dollars to go toward your products instead of shipping.

I shipped probably hundreds of items internationally. Some were extremely expensive. I always insured them, or informed the customer if insurance was not available for delivery to their location, which was pretty rare and usually only for third-world countries, or certain parts of them (and disclaimed any responsibility, which they agreed to before payment and shipment). But I almost never used any trackable shipping, unless the customer wanted it for some reason, which was very rare. And I had almost no problems. (Once I had sent a trackable USPS shipment to an individual in Germany, which apparently got lost. USPS tracking was available, to me, only until it entered Germany, IIRC. But the Germans must have tracked it, too, because they finally found it.)

Sorry if all of that "blathering on" sounded like a lecture. Too much to try to say in too small a space without it sounding terse, I guess. Good luck to you! May you become rich and famous!

Kind regards,

Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

At this time, it's only possible to parallel 5 of them.

It won't come on until the remote is above ~8v (set by a Zener in the remote input line).

The chip will shut down if the B+ drops below ~6v (this is a feature of the IC). This would only happen if there was a problem with the power source feeding the supply (bad connection, blown fuse, defective fuse...). Otherwise, the B+ and the remote are generally within ~1v of each other.

gootee:

I can use all the advise I can get for shipping. My main intention in this post was to see if there was any interest in the supply. I didn't plan on selling anything as of yet. I ship a fair number if items to Europe and they often get lost but that's with USPS. With PayPal, you must use a trackable shipping service (that's what I was told). PayPal will reverse the payment to the buyer in a second. That's been my experience. Have you ever tried to get UPS or FedEx to pay for something? If you have and it took less than 5 phone calls or several hours of your time, you've been lucky.

I see you use PayPal. Have you ever had them reverse a payment because the buyer didn't receive the item?

I'll never be rich. I do what I enjoy and that never seems to coincide with wealth.

how many amperes can the supplies produce at 4 ohms mono?

sorry if you mentioned it before, cant remember.

what would the rails sag to after loading it with a 500watt output section?

maybe i'll end up making an amp instead of buying one like in my other post... :D

btw...if you declare packages as ' personal items ' or 'gifts' there is no import tax...but this only works with USPS....and with non corrupt postal officials.

Driving an amp into 4 ohms mono (bridged) producing 544 watts

DC power supply voltage 13.94vdc
DC output voltages measured across the rails

No load other than amp bias current, output voltage = 82.5vdc
amp driven to clipping, output voltage = 73.5vdc

Using the regulator (set to 72.6vdc, no load), the output dropped to 72.4vdc when the amp was driven to clipping. If I would have taken the time to set the regulator precisely to 73.7v, it would very likely have duplicated the previous (unregulated) output.

Perry Babin said:
gootee:

I can use all the advise I can get for shipping. My main intention in this post was to see if there was any interest in the supply. I didn't plan on selling anything as of yet. I ship a fair number if items to Europe and they often get lost but that's with USPS. With PayPal, you must use a trackable shipping service (that's what I was told). PayPal will reverse the payment to the buyer in a second. That's been my experience. Have you ever tried to get UPS or FedEx to pay for something? If you have and it took less than 5 phone calls or several hours of your time, you've been lucky.

I see you use PayPal. Have you ever had them reverse a payment because the buyer didn't receive the item?

I'll never be rich. I do what I enjoy and that never seems to coincide with wealth.

Hi Perry,

As far as I know, Paypal doesn't "require" any certain type of shipping, etc, unless they've changed recently.

Paypal seems to try to protect the seller at least as well as the buyer.

In a dispute, they (in the past, at least) give the seller something like a month to produce a receipt showing that they shipped the item. I don't think they're unreasonable about reversing payments, and usually don't do it quickly, as far as I know.

I was in a car accident, once, and couldn't get on line for a couple of weeks or so, by which time someone had filed a Paypal complaint, for non-delivery. Paypal had sent me at least two emails about it. But the deadline still hadn't passed, for resolving it, and no action had been taken, yet.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've never been "ripped-off" by anyone who purchased through Paypal. Any minor "problems" I've ever had with paypal buyers have basically been my fault. Of course, there might be the occasional jerk who files a complaint if your shipment is one day late. :) But that's rare, hopefully.

No, I've never had to try to get money back from UPS or FedEx. I've heard that it can be a real pain, though. I used them a lot for shipping within the USA, but never had any unresolvable problems, or any damage claims, etc. (I was a VERY careful packer, though. :)

Have fun!

- Tom

I haven't had any problems with the paypal system yet. (crosses fingers) I use tracking and delivery confirmation so I can keep the buyer informed and know when they recieve it. I think the problems some people have get blown way out of proportion. As long as you follow rules and are patient with the system, things work out. I haven't had any buyers try to reverse a payment yet.
Btw, why don't you design the entire amplifier? Your power supply looks well thought out and space efficient. Surely the audio section would be as well.

ppia600 said:
Btw, why don't you design the entire amplifier? Your power supply looks well thought out and space efficient. Surely the audio section would be as well.

I was initially disconcerted about this introduction since I have worked very hard to do a similar sort of design, but I have never sourced a decent chassis/case due to the investment required. :(

However, I DO have a nifty little power supply that retrofits the Behringer DCX2496 for 12V use and NO noise. They have been selling like hotcakes at $139 shipped. Maybe Mr Babin would be interested in these. :D

DCX2496001.jpg

PPIA600:
The short answer is... cost and demand.

As far as I can tell from this post, only 2 people had any interest.

If there was significant interest, I could have options for several amps within a few months but they would not be inexpensive. I won't cut corners just to make a few bucks.

I talked to a friend that does a lot of shipping and he said that you have to have tracking (or at least delivery confirmation) and it has to be shipped to a confirmed address (not possible in countries other than Canada, Great Britain and the US as of now). For items over $250, you have to have a signature. I'm going to try to find the information for myself to confirm this.

Perry Babin said:
PPIA600:
The short answer is... cost and demand.

As far as I can tell from this post, only 2 people had any interest.

If there was significant interest, I could have options for several amps within a few months but they would not be inexpensive. I won't cut corners just to make a few bucks.

Those must have been the same 2 people that contacted me about the same idea a couple years ago...:rolleyes:

Perry Babin said:
EnvisionAudio:
I made a prototype of a supply that I was going to use for modded EQs but I couldn't even give it away. You need to write a tutorial on marketing. I'd be the first in line to buy it. :)

Ha! Everything I've learned has taken me years of doing it the wrong way. I couldn't write a tutorial on it if I tried! I'm 31 and have been building car amplifiers and processors since I was installing at age 18. I never sold anything for a reasonable profit and still work a full time engineering job to pay for my company interests. If that doesn't tell you something - well...it SHOULD.

One of the things I have learned is to find and make friends with people that know what they're talking about. I am good friends with Darren Kuzma (Parts Express) who designed and marketed the Dayton Loudspeaker lineup, Bob Cordell (we all kow who he is), a really good DSP engineer and a fantastic raw driver manufacturer. I just bring these ideas together and make stuff happen. I'm not a wealthy individual, but have worked hard to be resourceful. It pays to be friendly, as well. Folks enjoy doing things for people they think will like them; so I use that to my advantage. Of course, I'd bend over backwards for you, too - so I guess it goes both ways.

When I'm ready to go full-tilt into business (a couple years from now), I'll have enough experience that I hope to make a few dollars the first year. Maybe I'm being too optimistic. :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
EnvisionAudio said:

One of the things I have learned is to find and make friends with people that know what they're talking about. I am good friends with Darren Kuzma (Parts Express) who designed and marketed the Dayton Loudspeaker lineup, Bob Cordell (we all kow who he is), a really good DSP engineer and a fantastic raw driver manufacturer. I just bring these ideas together and make stuff happen.

Hey dude, I'm not in the inner circle? :bawling:

Aaron and I met earlier this year to discuss how to get some developers of audio components to work together and share a common storefront. The idea was that it would be easier for individuals to sell products if they were part of a collaborative effort with complementary components that fit into a couple of well thought-out product lines.

I got the website (http://audiodevelopers.com) and started putting up some rambling ideas, but I haven't gotten back to it. I was hoping to retire and spend more time on this idea and contribute designs, but we decided to add onto our vacation house, and that means I still need to work to pay off mortages.:( I just don't have enough time right now to coordinate this effort or even contribute to it.

Neil Davis said:

Hey dude, I'm not in the inner circle? :bawling:

Aaron and I met earlier this year to discuss how to get some developers of audio components to work together and share a common storefront. The idea was that it would be easier for individuals to sell products if they were part of a collaborative effort with complementary components that fit into a couple of well thought-out product lines.

I got the website (http://audiodevelopers.com) and started putting up some rambling ideas, but I haven't gotten back to it. I was hoping to retire and spend more time on this idea and contribute designs, but we decided to add onto our vacation house, and that means I still need to work to pay off mortages.:( I just don't have enough time right now to coordinate this effort or even contribute to it.

Yeah, you are! Guess which one? Was I supposed to get your permission on that? LOL :spin:

I have a bunch of things I'd like to work on, but you can probably tell I've been a bit busy.

Thanks for stopping by and reading about yourself. ;)

EnvisionAudio said:

However, I DO have a nifty little power supply that retrofits the Behringer DCX2496 for 12V use and NO noise. They have been selling like hotcakes at $139 shipped. Maybe Mr Babin would be interested in these. :D

DCX2496001.jpg

I have actually done something similar and had people on this side of the planet ask if I were willing to make some more for them but it never took off because I don't have a really good source for ferrite for the main trafo. probably a one off solution (different for each customer) would be a better option but would take more work.

this one I did a while ago for personal use and it's been working fine up up to now. :nod:

analog EQ's are simpler to convert to 12V since they only use +/-15V AFAIK

djQUAN said:

I have actually done something similar and had people on this side of the planet ask if I were willing to make some more for them but it never took off because I don't have a really good source for ferrite for the main trafo. probably a one off solution (different for each customer) would be a better option but would take more work.

this one I did a while ago for personal use and it's been working fine up up to now. :nod:

analog EQ's are simpler to convert to 12V since they only use +/-15V AFAIK

Yeah, I built the simple bipolar supplies for RANE EQs back in the mid 1990s. Speaker Works in Orange, CA weren't the only ones modding those then. I used to build custom subwoofer EQs and signal switches for SPL vehicles before it was really mainstream.

The Behringer uses +/-15V, +8.8V, +5V and +3.3V which requires a multi-winding transformer for optimal efficiency and heat reduction. I bought the ferrites and cores from Eastern Components in the US. Their prices are very good and they are small quantity-friendly. I currently wind all my own transformers, which is pretty simple on the ETD Core. The core itself is a bit big for the supply, but I needed to fit the new form-factor of the OEM supply as Behringer now has an FCC-compliant shield that fits over the transformer.

Just a few years ago, there was hardly any information about building SMPS for car use online. Now, it seems to have exploded (pardon the pun). :D

DjQuan - Your work is incredible - I'm sure you are very proud of the things you have accomplished! I remember Lumanauw's site being the first in-depth site that covered basic SMPS design. I really wish he got those Protels converted to image files and worked on his site a little more, but I think he's done a great job of getting peoples courage up to building their own car amplifiers.

To me, car audio is an integral part of a music lover's environment and an excellent engineering challenge to those willing to accept it. With the rapid decline of the good brands in car audio, I think it is a worthy endeavour to push back and deliver a good quality product again. Interestingly, many these "audiophile" brands which tout high quality amplifiers are also outsourcing their designs to Korea and China. For instance, look at a few companies offerings and see what you find!

http://www.tunpohk.com/cp.php?key=&catid=11&nowmenuid=2005&Submit2=Search

http://www.soundlive-china.com/product.asp?ptype=26

http://www.thermalweb.com/products/alcase/case.htm

And last, but certainly not least - some very nice amps from China. :)

http://www.audio-manufacture.com/icm.php

thanks for the comment. :) I'll be entering a show on sept 22 this sat and hopefully things turn out well. ;) I'll update the thread on my car stereo sometime soon. had upgrades since then. :D

those amps in the tunpo site look worryingly similar to high end amps like Focal. the other sites have ampsthat have the exterior looks similar to a lot of branded amps. no surprise there. :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.