Caps - Mundorf Silver/oil vs silver/gold/oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Frederik and the gang,

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to describe what they feel is the sonic differences between the Duelund Alexander pio's and the Jensen copper foil pio's in the paper casing.

If I am understanding this correctly, both the Jensen's and the Duelands are made at the same location and that both lines may possibly collaborate in the various areas of research/development/design/manufacturer/promotion/etc. By me saying this, I am not implying that they would be the same capacitor.

I see that the paper tubed Jenson is more expensive than the Alexander....does that imply it is on a higher level than the Alexander?

Also, does anyone know the max operating temperature for either of these caps. I will be using the .22 values in a single ended 845 amplifier that gets very hot.

Thankyou for any thoughts you are able to share with me.

Hello Frederik and the gang,

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to describe what they feel is the sonic differences between the Duelund Alexander pio's and the Jensen copper foil pio's in the paper casing.

If I am understanding this correctly, both the Jensen's and the Duelands are made at the same location and that both lines may possibly collaborate in the various areas of research/development/design/manufacturer/promotion/etc. By me saying this, I am not implying that they would be the same capacitor.

I see that the paper tubed Jenson is more expensive than the Alexander....does that imply it is on a higher level than the Alexander?

Also, does anyone know the max operating temperature for either of these caps. I will be using the .22 values in a single ended 845 amplifier that gets very hot.

Thankyou for any thoughts you are able to share with me.

Hi,

The paper tubed Jensen features the same innards as the regular Jensen. The Alexander is different to both of them, which the different voltage rating and size will also attest to. As to the sound, that will be for the end user to decide.

Hi,

The paper tubed Jensen features the same innards as the regular Jensen. The Alexander is different to both of them, which the different voltage rating and size will also attest to. As to the sound, that will be for the end user to decide.

Hello Frederik,

Thank you for your reply. Do you or anyone happen to know what the max operating temp is for both of these capacitors? I'd hate to pay this kind of money (I realize they're much less expensive than the cast, but still expensive to me in this economy) just to see them bubble up or melt inside my 845 amplifier.

I appreciate your help.

Hello Frederik,

Thank you for your reply. Do you or anyone happen to know what the max operating temp is for both of these capacitors? I'd hate to pay this kind of money (I realize they're much less expensive than the cast, but still expensive to me in this economy) just to see them bubble up or melt inside my 845 amplifier.

I appreciate your help.

We test them at 70 degrees celsius for 250 hours. How hot does it get inside your amp?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Interesting thread.

As far as sonic differences with caps go, my amp is ultra sensitive to any change, I hear pronounced differences with different caps/resistors, and dare I say it? wire :D

I'm a little concerned with the talk of a max rating of 50 to 55 degrees for the Mundorf Silver/Oils, I have some of these doing coupling duties in my amp :eek:

I had better get a temp gauge, and see what they are dealing with in this position.

We test them at 70 degrees celsius for 250 hours. How hot does it get inside your amp?

Hello Frederik,

Thank you so much for your reply. I do not know exactly how hot it gets inside this amplifier. I have never measured it. I will say though that the 845 tubes give off enough heat to mildly warm my listening room up. It makes for a great winter amplifier! The metal enclosure does get warm to the touch.

I need to buy two .22uf caps and as I was researching the internet I have found numerous people saying that some brands of capacitors were not dealing well with the heat within their amplifiers. That is why I thought I should ask before buying. Although I do not know exactly how hot this amp gets inside, I doubt it reaches 70 celsius. I am placing an order for two of the Alexander caps tonight. I can't wait to see how they sound! I will try to remember and post back with my listening impressions.

Thank you again for getting back to me Frederick!

All the best.
No Regrets

I would look at the Solen Teflon and foil. I know they will take the temps you have mentioned and are 1000v. rated. I also suspect they will beat the Mundorfs in SQ. They are matched IMHO only by Vcaps. Regards

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip on the Solen Teflon and foil. I've already ordered the Duelund Alexanders, but will keep these in mind if it turns out I don't like the Alexanders.

I have Duelund CAST in my tube preamp and the sound is marvelous. IMHO using them for full-range electronic signals is the best way to take advantage of their benefits, as it's much more affordable (if that term can be used for CAST!) to put one of them into the preamp than to put 16 of them into my speaker crossovers!

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Madisound website lists the max operating temperature of Mundorf Silver/oil as 55 degC, fyi.

Silver/Oil
OK!

That is showing "Page not found"

I think there may be some misinformation (unintentionally) sneaking into this thread regarding the Mundorf Silver & Oils.

I spoke to the store that I purchased mine from and am reassured that the specs on these caps state 70 Degrees

I'll have a PDF soon, and I'll post it here :)

Ian.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.