Caps - Mundorf Silver/oil vs silver/gold/oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ramallo, the original Audio Note caps were PIO and had quality issues. The new ones use Mylar and apparently solve the reliability issue. Do you know which one you had? Did you like the sound?

V-Caps get glowing reviews, but are absolute crazy money.

I not sure, but probably the original ones. :confused:

I didn't a try with other capacitors on these amplifiers and I can't say nothing in comparison with others. But the ANQuest are one of my favs 300B amplifiers in sound terms (despite having a ridiculous filament supply). :devily:

I agree, the V-Caps have a crazy price.

The Jensen specs are -20 to +30% variance, while the Mundorf is +/- 2%. Is the Jensen really a better cap?

Also, does any have any experience with the AudioNote copper foil/mylar caps, would you recommend them?

Remember, the Jensen is made of metal film, the Mundorf is made from plastic film with some metal "sprayed" on. This makes a huge difference in cost.

The reason for the difference in tolerance is that as the Jensen is a PIO design, it needs impregnation, which will affect the value a bit. You can always ask for matched values. Which will take care of the tolerance.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi,

IMO, the audio note "Jensen" caps can sound very "dark" and make the music seem to loose its sparkle. The copper "Older Audio Note" in oil seems smoother, however it can seem to take the life from the music. Not my favourite cap!
I find the Mundorf silver in oil easier to listen to.

Each to their own I guess! :)
I suppose the type of music played has an effect on choice also!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Hi,

IMO, the audio note "Jensen" caps can sound very "dark" and make the music seem to loose its sparkle. The copper "Older Audio Note" in oil seems smoother, however it can seem to take the life from the music. Not my favourite cap!
I find the Mundorf silver in oil easier to listen to.

Each to their own I guess! :)
I suppose the type of music played has an effect on choice also!

Regards
M. Gregg

Jensen hasn't made Audio Note UK caps for years?

The thing about Jensen, is that they're a relatively large industrial manufacturer. If you ask for a cap completely like those you link to, they'll make them for you. So those won't sound different. However, the standard Jensen 630v, is different today, than the old Audio Note UK types. If the sound is better - that's of course subjective as you state.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Agreed,

I am not a fan of mylar. That's why I asked! What is your prefered cap make?

I asked a question in a thread that had only one reply, you may have thoughts on this. Have you ever bypassed PSU caps with Jupiter paper / wax or mundorf silver /oil?

Agreed,

I am not a fan of mylar. That's why I asked! What is your prefered cap make?

I asked a question in a thread that had only one reply, you may have thoughts on this. Have you ever bypassed PSU caps with Jupiter paper / wax or mundorf silver /oil?

I'm the manufacturer of Duelund Coherent Audio, so to answer this, would probably be advertisement...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.