Capacitor types in chip amp (TDA2050)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yellow box caps are Usually "the higher the louder" AVX brand with an italicized T, which work a lot like the finer monoceramic (non-disc ceramic). The yellow AVX are polyester with a lower than usual esr rating (lowest ESR at highest frequencies) and absolutely no ringing. They are radio grade.
I've never actually tried one for the purpose listed here, but it seems like I should have tried it. :)

C5, C6 at 100uF? I'll assume you're using TDA2050 then? Else, increase this value a bit if using LM1875.
This cap size:
Too big = blur (and extra heat)
Right size = clear with no shout
Too small = shouty
*so of course you can null the differences between TDA2050 and LM1875 just by changing these capacitance values. :)
**Another option is to double the number of 100uF caps as this may be clearer than half that number of 220uF caps (this approach is sometimes seen with SMD builds on class-D amplifiers).

The point of mentioning C5 and C6 sizes is that you might want to order 100uF, 220uF, 330uF, and 470uF because the caps are inexpensive, but the shipping is costly. It would be good to have these options handy.
35v or 50v should do fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.