capacitor burn in times? does it needs signal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That was a well executed charcoal job. The difficulty is to have it done without burning the meat. BTW I like the subject better than the original one but I guess this is thread jacking in its purest form. A tasty form I might add.

Any tomatoes on the charcoal Bob ? Pics please.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Is the butler welcome too ? He is the guy having a flying license so he will be coming anyway. He just loves good red wines from Chile. That is OK but he also likes Dead Kennedys and AC/DC continuously and loud. We agreed on his and my music changing every hour during flight (and him not drinking).

Last edited:
Hey Guys.

Please excuse the double post, but though a day early, I'm in my pulpit this morning. The past few days of wandering around the various forums/threads has prompted me to bloviate a bit. Please take my comments at least as genuine - and not themselves a flame.

Wow! In the past few days there seems to be many posts on several threads where people are flaming the reports and posts of others. I don't think that is fair or necessary. Please indulge me while I use a non-audio, non-technical scenario to explain.

We have a room where one wall has an oil painting hung between two windows with old fashion pull down shades. The opposite wall - there is a door and a small blue statue atop a pedestal. Two members of the same family are placed in the middle of the room - back to back - and asked to describe the room. The only condition is that neither is allowed to move their gaze from straight forward. You can see where this is going. When asked if there is a door in the room two honest but completely different answers are given. What color are the window shades? Produces - "white" and "there are no windows in this room." How tall is the statue? .................

Now I would ask that this concept be applied to component selection, use and review in the family of diy electronics. Posting reports based on one’s actual experience need not necessarily be considered an invitation for challenge, criticism and dispute. In the above example, all responses are truthful, accurate and completely valid. One should also note there are two other walls in that room that haven't been seen (experienced) by either family member - a myriad of additional possibilities. So also may be the case in the selection and use of components in the world (room) of diy audio.

Personally, I am neither wealthy nor dumb enough to blindly buy or endorse any component based on its price or packaging. Other than the sheer fun of doing projects, the main reason I joined the forum is to get the best bang for my audio dollars - read: save money. In the past couple years I have found myself paying 10 to 20 times more than "normal" for two or three caps, resistors and transformers. I parted from my hard earned cash on those occasions for only one reason.

I began learning and performing music (trombone) as a child in 1958. I was fortunate enough to have participated in high school, university and a smidgen of professional groups, the experience of which has been one of my greatest treasures. If I have to pay extra for a do-dad or two that makes what comes out of the circuits I build sound more like what I hear from that trumpet dude over there, I'll do it. If not, the cash stays in my pocket. Nothing more - nothing less.

I have always been blown away by the amount of advanced technical knowledge posted on the forum by people who really know their stuff. Their willingness to share and jump in to solve difficulties is something not found easily elsewhere. I would contend combining that advantage with the reports - as well as questions - from novices like myself, prove to be the life blood of this entire forum - regardless of the topic being discussed.

Why then I ask, is there a need for the flaming (ego based) posts that seem to be so prevalent. It seems to introduce so much dis-service to the nature, value and beauty at the core.

I can't count the number of times I have been frustrated by not being able to find one particular emoticon in the smilies list. "PEACE". Maybe the forum admins might think to add it - making its position first and its size the largest.

I would have to agree with you that differing sets of ideas - be they technical or not - can lead to a symbiotic increase in the body of knowledge.

My question is - can a report/description of methods, selections and the result of that technical process (what reaches one's ears) be accepted without derision and on occasion, undue personal criticism of the individual posting that information. Can what one hears be at least as significant as the technology included in a particular circuit, when someone posts on a forum dedicated to audio. What purpose does the flaming serve?

As SY says, personal attacks are dealt with by the moderators. Criticism of technical claims must be expected. Some people may find it difficult to distinguish between criticism of their opinion and attacks on them personally. If disagreement is not desired, then don't offer an opinion in a public forum. There is very little 'flaming' here, but quite a lot of sneering (mainly from one side, in my experience, but maybe I am biased).

If I say "I added widget X to my system, and it sounds great!" I would expect to get at least two types of response:
"Wow! I must do that to my system too. What wonderful ears you must have, and such fine discrimination in your other components.";
"How does X work? I believe you have been taken for a ride, because for this reason and that reason X cannot possibly do what you and its sellers claim."
Some threads seem to fill up with one type of opinion, and people of the opposite opinion may often then leave it alone until temptation becomes too strong to resist.

If I say "I calculated this, implemented it and measured this improvement to my system." there will again be two types of response:
"Don't use a calculator or read datasheets, just fiddle with it until it sounds right. You obviously have poor ears and a rubbish system.";
"Have you considered effect X, which will modify the situation in this way, and modify your calculations thus . . ".

So far, diyaudio seems to steer a reasonable path between the two extremes, which can leave both parties frustrated at times. There are other websites which are clearly dominated by just one side.

Last edited:
I hear you DF96. You make a very good case/explanation and I too have noticed the ebb and flow on different forums. If I have overstated my concern for folks flaming the posts of other forum members, that wasn't/isn't my intent. I simply have experienced an increase in the "personal" element ,as you accurately describe, in so many of the threads in the past week or so.

It's like watching TV. One has to be smart enough to realize if you don't like what your watching you can change the channel or turn the set off. I just want to encourage folks to take a minute to consider which of the choices you describe above is most appropriate, necessary and productive.

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.