Capacitance vs Ripple current

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you mean :(

Have a look at he image I joined, the two 0.1µF film capacitors are connected to the " sound input " of the LM1875. The recommended value on the LM1875 datasheet is 2.2µF but these film capacitors are 0.1µF only. The 22µF capacitor has the same role as the 0.1µF film capacitors, but it's a 22µF cap. The two 0.1µF film caps is on the L and R channels, while the 22µF is connected on the subwoofer channel. Why different values ? I guess there is a reason for it.

If only I hadn't needed a 2.1 amplifier I would have built the whole amplifier so I wouldn't ask so many questions about this 2.1 board :usd:

Another question : do you think the two LM1875 amplifying the sub need HF and/or MF decoupling ? :)

Thank you for your patience :cheerful:

Attachments

• 420273d1400965555-capacitance-vs-ripple-current-img_1965.jpg
    420273d1400965555-capacitance-vs-ripple-current-img_1965.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Certainly no error. Fitting a super low ESR film cap to the higher frequency channels
and a higher capacitance lytic to the bass section seems absolutely logical to me.
Again, there is a lot of tolerance.
However, feel free to fit both a 100µF lytic + a 100nF film type to any of the channels
if you feel better with this.

The HF decoupling (using X7R) must be on the device power pins or VERY CLOSE, (1mm or 2mm).
The MF decoupling (using electrolytic) can be a bit further away from the Power Pins, maybe 5mm to 15mm.

This longer distance ( for MF decoupling) could allow one decoupling electro to service two chips' +ve power pin. Another electro could service two chips' -ve power pin.

Is this description talking about Power Pin decoupling capacitors?
Have a look at he image I joined, the two 0.1µF film capacitors are connected to the " sound input " of the LM1875. The recommended value on the LM1875 datasheet is 2.2µF but these film capacitors are 0.1µF only. The 22µF capacitor has the same role as the 0.1µF film capacitors, but it's a 22µF cap. The two 0.1µF film caps is on the L and R channels, while the 22µF is connected on the subwoofer channel.

Putting less electrolytics will allow me to save some space on that PCB :)

The description isn't about the power pin decoupling capacitors but about the decoupling capacitor on the signal path, right before entering the chip :) In fact I was just wondering why the capacitors do not respect the LM1875 datasheet, and ticktock answered.

Are you enquiring about DC blocking capacitors, or power rail decoupling capacitors?

Post10 was the first where closeness to chips came in.

Post17 left pic, is clearly about power rail decoupling capacitors. What about all your other questions?

Last edited:
In the #17 I was talking about the C1 capacitor which is connected to the audio signal pin, the pin 1 ( +IN ), as described on the drawing I joined :eek:

In fact in the #17 I switched to another question in the second part of the message, a question which was about other capacitors :) Then ticktock answered, so for the moment I do not have any question left :)

Many thanks for your help about power decoupling capacitors, I was lost but now I know what to do :cheerful:

From testing and experiment by other Members of the Forum, it seems that X7R have about the right amount of esr to attenuate ringing when added to an existing LC circuit.

I have not seen equivalent testing reports confirming that the lower esr of C0C/NP0 meet the attenuation requirement.

I have seen a couple of statements that NP0 are OK for decoupling, but that is very far away from testing.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with COST.

It has much to do with size and inductance and esr and values that are available.
Try to find a 1uF 100V smd NP0 at a size that fits on the Pins of a chipamp. Can you find a 1uF 100V NP0 leaded that is small?
There are some 25V and a very few 50V

Last edited:
Can I assume that the black dot on the top of the caps indicates NP0?

Yes, the black dot means NP0.

I've found those to be quite good for opamp decoupling in my limited experience with them. Usually I prefer to play with tubes...;-). I've even used those TDKs for noise shunts from the pins of tube heater supplies when I can't fit a Multicap film cap (my favorite for that particular application).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.