Candidates for ELF performance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Weltersys,

What happens performance wise if i were to use a D3 12 with about ~500 watts of power to drive it?

as compared to the D9 or hex pro 12 with roughly ~1000
It takes more power to achieve a higher excursion and more SPL.
Generally, it takes about 6 dB more power to double excursion.
500w to 1000w is a 3 dB increase in power.
You would have to model the speakers in question in specific cabinet designs to answer your questions with any more detail than that.

Art

wkll i plugged some numbers into winisd and was really really surprised!

A D312, to peak at 100hz takes .23^3 ft!!
the D612 is .075!!
and the HP12 is .105!!

Is it me, or do these seem extraordinarily small??
is it because they are car drivers? or is something wrong? i think maybe the .23 is achievable, but the other two would absolutely require the drivers to be mounted backwards! while i think the Hex pro would look super cool backwards (; makes it difficult for amplification and placement! .1 cubic feet, is 12"x12"x.83"

should i try to bring it down from 100hz? or is 100 reasonable?

it looks like phase all starts and ends the same, the D6 is a little slower changing, then the D3 and lastly the HP.

90.16HP
89.99D3
88.71D6

are my spl readings at 100hz, at 1 watt.

But, the HP is only louder then the D6 between ~86hz and ~120 hz. So the D6 is a little less aggresive on how the gain goes up.

But the D3 has a higher spl then HP at <72hz and louder then the D6 <56hz

So how can i look at these and decide which i will like better??

i'm not hung up. i thought i was building a resonance higher then the crossover frequency? so i'm trying to plan these around an ELF design

Extended low frequency (ELF) response does not require cabinet resonance to be higher than the crossover frequency, it just makes for an easier filter to implement.
If you use DSP you can equalize the ELF in room response flat, or to any contour desired. The DSP can have multiple presets, useful for different musical genres and playback levels.

A "standard" ELF filter will only provide flat response in a perfect room, which does not exist in the real world, as far as I have found in the last 35 years of testing...

Throwing away sensitivity by making a tiny box, then boosting the bejezus to get LF level back is a waste of resources in my opinion.

But I'm not paying for your project, if that is what you like to do, go for it!

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.