Can You Identify This 18in Woofer? {Photos}

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GM said:
Since it's for sub duty and you seem predisposed to use 21"ers, just use these inexpensive Pyles until you can round up some more MCMs: http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/PDW21250?meta=FRG

GM

Hello GM! I've actually been thinking about this for awhile now ---{at least since I've started this thread}--- and I've decided to build just one subwoofer for now. My reasons for this decision are quite simple. My finances at the moment are dictating what I'm capable of spending and that amount has become a bit limited. However if a mate for my driver became available I would purchase it. It's just that now I'm not in any great hurry for it to suddenly pop up!

So for now I'll just build the one subwoofer. I don't honestly believe I'll "need" two but, aesthetics in this case are important to me. The design I'm going to use is large and a bit strange looking. I believe that two ---{one on each side behind the main speakers}--- will help by creating a much more balanced & symmetrical appearance. Which in turn will greatly help with the WAF.

I really appreciate your trying to help me locate two matching 21 inch subwoofers for my project GM for that I thank you very much! Fact is "if" having two matching 21 inch subwoofers for my project ---{other than a mate for the driver I now own}--- was really that critical to me, I could have purchased a pair of the 21 inch Cerwin-Vega stroker drivers. More than anything I just wanted a mate for what I already owned.

However I really do appreciate that you not only took the time and energy to locate a matching pair of 21 inch drivers for me but, what's even more surprising to me is the fact that you even thought about my project in the first place some 6 to 8 weeks after I first posted about my desire to find another matching driver! Thank you so very much. I'm genuinely touched by this gesture.

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste!

djk said:

..Exactly. :)

edit:
Also, I've always been curious about the excursion limitations of these woofers. Whether it's 3, 4, 5, 6, or 8+ mm xmax, it's quite a big difference when you're dealing with a driver with that much surface area. Of course Pyle doesn't publish it though. It's been out forever now, and they still haven't published anything, nor would they answer any of my emails regarding parameters for these woofers several months ago (I finally gave up, and then Magnetar used them that last time and gave me his measurements on them). But even if/when they do provide T-S parameters for these woofers, we all know they'll just be wrong anyway.

djk said:
"Since it's for sub duty and you seem predisposed to use 21"ers, just use these inexpensive Pyles until you can round up some more MCMs"

Why pay more?

http://www.avtoybox.com/pdw21250.html

Hello djk! I believe in a round about way I answered your question in my post just above the one you just posted, I'm now responding to. To make myself crystal clear. For now I'm building one subwoofer with the one driver I paid $50 for ---{that's even cheaper the the pyle drivers, no?}--- also when you consider the MCM's cost $349 when they were available ---{and I believe they seem better built than the pyles}--- I fiqure "if" I can find a used one it will probably sell for about what one of these pyles cost new!

However even if I had to pay the full $349 once you add the $50 I paid for the other MCM driver that's $399. Whereas two pyles would cost me $330! So yes in the end I'd pay $69 more for the two MCM drivers, that is "if" I had to pay full price for the 2nd driver! Plus remember I believe the MCM's are better built ---{that's just my opinion}--- but they definitely look a heck of a lot nicer than the pyles do and once you consider in the subs I'll be building the backs of the drivers will be seen when the driver is placed on top of, and fires down into a 24" sonotube! So for aesthetic reasons alone IMHO it's well worth the extra $69 I "might" have to spend to build two subwoofers using the MCM drivers.

Thetbeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.