Can You Identify This 18in Woofer? {Photos}

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I desperately need your help with identifying this 18" woofer. I just picked it up extremely cheap ---{because the dustcap is pushed in}--- and would like to possibly use it to make a subwoofer. I purchased it because to me it looks like Focal/JM Labs Audiom woofer. Am I correct? If not what is it and are the TS specs available anywhere?

TIA

Thetubeguy1954

Attachments

• 18in woofer.jpg
    18in woofer.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,193
Wow!  Does anybody know anything about this driver?  Is it still available?  Are there params available for it?

I agree about the MCM site.  I make websites for people, and that is my example of an impenetrably byzantine site.  You ain't got the print catalog in your hand with part numbers, it can take you hours to find what you want.

I'm glad to see they're still in busines, mind.  They used to be a cool source of some of the most outa-de-way speakers and other parts this side of Fair Radio Sales.

Aloha,

Poinz

More Info!

Hello Poindexter!

Here's what I do know about them so far. They were made by MCM for a limited period of time. It was originally listed as part # 55-1835 in the MCM catalog. It was described as a 21" pro. low frequency woofer and had these specs; 8 ohms, 96 dB @ 1w/1m with a 25Hz resonance. It's rated @ 200 watts rms/800 watts peak and sold for a very reasonable price of only $395!

I'd greatly appreciate any help I could get in locating a second driver so I could build a copy of Nelson Pass' El-Pipo Subwoofer.

Thetubeguy1954

Re: Driver

zlast said:
Might ask Mr.Pass nicely...as I recall he used four of these drivers in El-pipo :)

Thanks I've already asked Nelson. He responded promptly to my email and I found out that besides being an incredibly gifted designer he's also an incredibly giving person! He donated his 2 El-Pipo's to an artists group. Unfortunately for me he didn't know where I could obtain another one of these drivers so I'll continue my search!

Thetubeguy1954

tomtt said:
can't say for shure, this may be where these came from -

http://www.lyeco.com.tw/woofer.htm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks Tomtt. The magnets look the same but the largest driver on this site is 15" whereas the driver I have is 21" That said "if" I have to I might consider scaling down the design and using four of those 15" drivers. But I think I might have a line on a second 21" driver but, I have to complete tracking it down first!

Thanks, Thetubeguy1954

I Think That's It!

tomtt said:

Hello Again Tomtt!

Thank you so very much for locating that driver. I do believe that's the very woofer I own and have been searching for a mate! It appears they've decided to change the power flower's magnet color from red to black but, other than that the specs seem to line right up with mine. There's only probem though and it's a fairly difficult obstacle to overcome. I contacted the company directly about obtaining some of their drivers and here's their response...
==============================================
Dear Tom,

Thanks for your inquiry. We’ve been running the business model of “B2B” and just accepting orders with minimum quantity. Our Minimum Order Quantity = 50 pcs

Best Regards,

Edward Chang

==============================================
So Tomtt even though my prize lies within reach unless I can get a group of us together and form a MOQ of 50 pieces of the
LW2102NPC 21 in woofer it will be strictly Just looky no touchy! I honestly don't know what's worse, not being able to find it or being able to find it but, not being able to purchase it due to their MOQ policy... I do however greatly appreciate the time & effort you took to help me locate this unique and IMHO quite desirable driver.

Thetubeguy1954

FlipC said:
Why not ask that company for information on where you can purchase a pair? IE what retail or manufacturer has actually order some.

Thanks for the suggestion Flip but, I've already asked MCM and they chose not to respond to my question. Besides I've located ---{with the help of a member here}--- the original manufacturer who was Lyeco since then. This is a link to their website: http://www.lyeco.com.tw/series.htm if you click on the link look at model LW1502KGR and you'll notice except for the color being yellow it uses the "flower-power" arrangement on the magnets.

I wrote Lyeco and they verified they made the driver I own but, sadly they told me they no longer make it. I was told by the same person who sent me the link that Lyeco still makes the 21 in driver but, Lyeco made no mention of it when I asked them. That said I've found ---{due to Tomtt, the member here who provided the link}--- that in Lyeco's "pro audio" area they do indeed have a 21 in driver who's model # is LW2102NPC This driver can be seen here: http://www.lyeco.com.tw/pa.htm On this model the magnets aren't yellow or red. Now the magents are black but, other than that it does seem to be the same or very close to the driver I own.

It appears I'll have to contact Lyeco yet once again! I guess we had a loss in the language translation as it appears they're making hat I'm looking for afterall. Thanks for your consideration and input Flip.

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.