Can this work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What must be corrected to get the sim working right

Hi kornylike,

:att'n:
IMO, You shouldn’t approximate the horn dimensions to conical dimensions using HR: s ‘con’ when in the main screen.:att'n:

The reason is that HR has to few ‘con’ sections if tried and the whole simulation would change and the result of the horn-estimated performance.:eek:

As I showed you before, a conical approximations decision should be done after you plotted out the exponential layout on paper, where you control the number of folding needed, i.e. the number of different section lengths and the corresponding CSA:s.

Put your own number of section markings that suit a folding on that plot and by using the ‘Export’ function insert your newly found section length increment, then read the CSA and use that information.

You may repeat this method as many times as it requires. :D

The horn airways will now consist of different section lengths and different CSA: s that is a better approximation of your built speaker layout and the estimated performance would be very close to what is earlier simulated.

b :)

how large would the horn be

what design really is this speaker good to play in

I'm not trying to talk you out of this one at all.

As for how large it is hard to say. It depends on how many folds, and sections you want to build. If you click the "Con" option you will see the largest size is 935l. This would be worse case though. A couple of Con sections will pull this down into the low 800l range easy. If you add more you can pull it back under 800l.

OK, I converted it to an OD horn to help with folding. Everything tracks out the same.
kornny.gif

I have a mock up fold right now, and it is going to take up almost all that room you allowed. It's looking like an external h60''x d42''x w25'' I have to do a final render, and see if there is enough room left for the rear chamber. It looks close, but I may have to redo it to take the full w28".

Fingers crossed. :dead:

I will be able to stay in your posted size. It is almost the perfect size. There will be almost zero wasted space.

There is no way to squeeze anymore out of this driver. As is, the sub will run at 8ohm in the horn, and with a steep highpass at ~25Hz you can give it up to 1600w which will bump the output up to 130dB at 31Hz. This will bump the xmax, and the thermal rating at the same time.

You can go to a TH and go lower, but you will loose some SPL to do it. Looks like around -5dB at 31Hz to get down to 25Hz or 20Hz.

I want to say you said this is for an outside area, so I don't know it it's worth it. If you are going for really loud than it isn't. How big of an area are you trying to cover, and at what SPL?

I'm sorry, I meant that it wasn't worth it to go with a lower tuning if you need as much SPL as you can get.

You are building more than one? How many? You can alter the FR of the horns with more than one sub.

Maybe I need to re-read your other threads. :D

Can you post exactly what you are trying to do. Go into detail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.