Can one build a better (non) LS3/5A speaker based on T27s & B110s?

<snip>
Regarding active crossovers - these days they can be cheaper and less bulky than a passive crossover. There are some interesting-looking kit and ready-made versions available from this UK-based eBay vendor

kevinmount | eBay

The amplifiers needn't be expensive either - for instance, a good chip amp. Don't forget you can use smaller output to each of the drivers than you would need if using one amplifier driving a passive crossover.

Thanks for that Colin. To be honest, I have in the recent past given some thought to the idea of active crossovers, most specifically because they would (might) allow one to "tune" a speaker. In particular I have tried to make sense of the MiniDSP with the possibility of eventually experimenting with the UMIK-1. However, I haven't really got far and with all the add-ons, I suspect that it would be very significantly more expensive than going the passive route.

The vendor you mentioned offers an assembled & tested Linkwitz-Riley OPA2134 2-way active filter at £30.48 including p&p. To this I would have to add the cost of four amplifiers, a number of PSUs and cases. Somehow, I doubt that I would get away with less than £150 on active crossovers which might -or- might not work and I certainly haven't got the expertise to diagnose any "issues" that might arise. Aside from which, I already have a number of amplifiers lurking about.

Another in the long list of 110/27 variants, in this case from Jim Rogers himself. Crazy crossover complexity but imaging monsters.

Attachments

• jr149.jpg
    jr149.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 437
Thanks again Colin. On a quick scan of the Xkitz site, the XAMP-M2 2-way active crossover with combined 30 watt amplifier at $46 assembled along with the XAPS-50 50 watt DC PSU at $22 assembled sound interesting.

Would one build one crossover+amp and PSU into each speaker or have two crossovers+amps and a single PSU remotely?

I just wish this was supplied and supported from the UK :(

Some time ago I saw a design for a basic, cheap(ish) control unit comprising a high quality multi-step volume control, a four-way input selector and ten phono sockets built into a small box. I thought it was on Keith Snook's site but I haven't been able to find it again. This would allow easy connection / selection of a CD player and FM Tuner. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

I prefer a dual amplifier directly driving the dual speaker drivers with VERY SHORT speaker cables.

The amplifier can be placed on a stand behind the speaker box, or attached to the back of the speaker box.

The Source and volume control, with Buffer, drive the longer line level inter connects.

I prefer a dual amplifier directly driving the dual speaker drivers with VERY SHORT speaker cables.
What dual amp do you use? I guess that it wouldn't need to be hugely powerful in my case.

The Source and volume control, with Buffer, drive the longer line level inter connects.
Buffer??? Do you mean the active crossover? Are you talking about "longer line level inter connects" from the active crossover to the amplifiers?

What causes me slight concern with this (active crossover + amp) strategy is that you will have additional mains cables all over the shop.

I used a pair of lm3886 with the gains set to +20dB for desktop monitors.
Big bass driver under the desk with another lm3886
i.e. 2.1 using five chipamps fed from three toroids.

The active crossover is effectively a high pass filter for the treble amplifier feeding the treble speaker driver. >2700Hz.
The other half of the crossover is a band pass filter for the middle amplifier feeding upper bass and midrange speaker driver. 140Hz to 2700Hz.

Finally a low pass filter feeding into the bass only amplifier to the 15" bass speaker. <140Hz.

All to LR4 and all without any equalisation. LR4 is two cascaded Butterworth 2pole filters

All the filters are inside the respective amplifier chassis. i.e. the left channel has a bandpass and a high pass filter on the one channel input.
The right channel has a bandpass and a high pass filter on the one channel input.
The bass has a low pass filter. The first stage is an MFB with two channel input to sum the L+R signals.

Last edited:
As Andrew says, it's easier to build the amps and crossover in a separate box or boxes. Commercial active speakers usually have the electronics built into the enclosure for ease of use (and a reduction in cost as metalwork is expensive). There's no disadvantage in this but keeping them separate makes them easier to change and modify.

The Hypex and MiniDDSP plate amps are designed for loudspeaker enclosures but could be used remotely.

There was an active design using B110 and T27 drivers published by ETI in the late 70s. I think it was by Jeff McKauley. He didn't use hugely powerful amps, possibly even early chip amps of some sort like IPL. It was a sealed or ported enclosure and relatively straightforward except that he used a second B110 on the back of each enclosure, to balance out the sound - an early and effective method of dealing with baffle step loss.

I haven't been able to find this online and don't think I have a copy of it.

Vibration may have been a problem when electronics were more microphonic but these days it's an audiophile myth. Monitoring speakers wouldn't do it otherwise.

It's a bit like the Linn-promoted idea that having more than one pair of speakers in the listening room is a bad idea. When finally tested on it, even Linn's founder couldn't hear any difference.

I wouldn't fancy building an active speaker at all. Too many safety (as in electrocution...)
I consider it easier to build an active speaker with no exposed conductive parts.
That in my view makes it easier to make it safer for all users and operators.

........ heat and vibration issues for an amateur. :eek:
Certainly vibration and heat dissipation must be design considerations, they cannot be ignored, but they are not about user safety.

As a manufacturer of active speaker points out, if modern electronics were microphonic - ie suffered vibration to a sufficient degree to generate a signal audible over a speaker - most electronics in modern military hardware wouldn't work. Obviously some care is needed but it's not an issue to get hung up about. The small, commercial actives I've been using for the last 4 years are among the best speakers of any type I have heard. One of their attractions is the serious amount of headroom they possess. Not much sign of microphonics there and good active speakers have been in use in professional studios for years.

However for DIY it's probably easier to have the electronics elsewhere, as Andrew suggested.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As a manufacturer of active speaker points out, if modern electronics were microphonic - ie suffered vibration to a sufficient degree to generate a signal audible over a speaker - most electronics in modern military hardware wouldn't work.

An argument that means little in this context.

Military kit typically has mil-spec components, choosen forlow microphonics. And there is a difference, sometimes significant between working and hifi.

dave

Thank God it's Friday ;)

Aren't all of these components powered by 6 to 24V DC? I would have expected this usually to be derived from an enclosed power "Brick" as typically used with laptops?
No way. 100W is a LOT! You're not going to run a serious HiFi amplifier off a little 12V or 24V laptop or phone wall wart. :rolleyes:

Even at 12V, this is 8 Amps. That is a lot of current, comparable to a 2kW electric fire. A low impedance car battery might get near it, but for mains supply you'll need to design with big reservoir capacitors and a serious output transformer of low impedance.

Listening on headphones, and listening on big speakers are entirely diifferent propositions. :)

Quite what this has to do with BBC mini-monitors, I can't remember. :eek: