Can I replace TL082 op amp with NE5532

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The other way around works so I guess the answer is yes

With no disrespect to all the wise people - OpAmps of this form are interchangeble and there are videos of people using so many different ones with almost the exact same effect on sound ... barely noticable.
Surely the gain is a little different based on the type like jfet vs whatever.

As to the question - i was wondering and i found this thread. I just registered, this is an old post - for someone in future I'll say this. I build a pre-amp design just for ne5532 and I just felt like using TL082 and I used sockets. I put TL082 and was very happy with result. I can switch it back to ne5532. I think the noise is very low with both. Both are high speed.

It was this design - i used a prototype pcb and point to point wiring ... its crazy looking but it works
Hi-Fi Preamplifier

Its quite forgiving and since it is a standard it seems that provided voltage on datasheet is within tolerance you can swap them. I expect most of them run best at +/-15v. One other comment ... i tend to put a 50 to 100 ohm resistor between the supply rail and the power input after building a few unstable pre-amp designs and finding this works better than directly connecting. Some kind of supply cap to stabilize near every chip is recommended - between 10uF and 47uF at each power input. Depends how serious you want the result to be.

You know this is a 6-year old thread?

The decoupling requirements differ between TL082 and NE5532/4 - the latter need good high speed decoupling close to the chip or will exhibit reduced performance (distortion increases measurably - believed due to internal oscillation) - the TL082 is much more forgiving for decoupling.

In circuits with potentiometers you can get away with passing the input bias current for a FET opamp through the wiper of the pot, but not for a bipolar opamp (horrible cracking will be the result).

Maybe should make a new thread

I added to this thread because I found it when I searched generally and I found it to be very unsatisfactory .. lots of multifactorial things.

Thing is that dual op-amp chips are designed to be relatively pin compatible, voltage supply compatible? Right? ... what happens if you don't do it right? All I know is my jfet based pre-amp works fine.

Some of the circuits give a series of op-amps that work. I've seen people replacing op amp chips in guitar pedals with ALL the pin compatible op amps and they all seemed to work.
What I have found, i don't know if its reasonable, is that I put some current limiting resistors and caps at the power inputs for the op-amp chips. Since i did that stability and other sound issues seemed to vanish completely even though the circuits "seem to" call for just direct connection to voltage rails.

I have 6 decoupling caps on my preamp - one for each + and - rail at each chip. 10uF and then 47 ohm resistors. It worked in a few designs after I saw people putting 100 ohm resistors (which I sometimes use) at the power rails. So whatever oscillations or stability issues were related to this I'm not sure but when I didn't do it on my first pre-amp that became unstable.

I'm no expert - I'm learning but I hope to put my observations, like a scientist of what seems to work and help and the general idea. Looking for reasons with effects or bad things listed that would warn people away based on "this can happen" if you do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.