Can anyone suggest a design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
acapella

The only problem I had with the acapella is that there are no clear cabinet dimensions listed, just a volume for the bass module. It's an open bafffle by the looks of it, does that mean I can make them as I want while leaving the bass module within the specified volume?
The other thing is, on a 3-way passive design, he has separate inputs for each of the 3 separate crossovers. Can I connect them all to one set of binding posts or should I do something different like a biwire, one to the tweeter and one to the mid/woofer. I read somewhere before that biwiring must be accounted for in the design process, don't know if it's true or not.

Troels is a true gentleman and was very patient even with new DIYers like myself. You will need to contact him for details for cabinet dimensions and any other queries regarding construction. (eg. separate inputs, which i suspect are for convenience only)

Publishing a well documented design is great and very encouraging for DIYers. I see no reason why the cabinet specs would be kept a secret.

Bear in mind it's not as simple as a floorstanding box but with if you're willing to learn as you go it can be done.

If you're really stuck (or short of tools) you could pay your local kitchen cabinet maker to build em!
:D

I was planning on using mills resistors, alpha core inductors and sonicap caps. They all seem to be much better than their generic counterparts. Where I live in Canada I find the easiest place to order from is Parts Connexion. It's run by the gentleman who was with Sonic Frontiers and Anthem. They also have close ties with a couple of modders, so the parts they carry are quite nice.

jasonb84,

your chosen parts are great (and expensive)

i've never believed in the philosphy that your passive parts should cost as much as your drivers. certainly you should choose good quality parts suitable for crossover use (eg. air core L, polyprop C, non inductive wirewound R), but in all honesty i find the difference between some super expensive passives and standard priced, good quality parts minimal. Just be wary that you may find the differences a lot less than what some golden-eared reviewers or audiophiles would have you believe.

if price is no object then sure go ahead, the differences (real or perceived) is justified.

as a first time DIYer i'd be more careful getting the right values passives, wiring up your XO correctly, building structural sound cabinets, using correct deadening / dampening materials. Any of these would change the sound of your final product more than the hundreds of dollars spent on your crossover filters.

i found this to be very useful.

good luck!

Sorry to bump this 2-week-old thread, but I happened to notice that Troels Gravesen has now posted a new pdf document with detailed cabinet plans for his Acapella design, the notable lack of which was mentioned before.

I hesitate to link directly to the document, but here's a link to the (newly redone, by the look of things) page for anybody who might be interested and not have it handy:

http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/

While I'm bumping, has anybody here built these? They certainly measure well enough, and Mr. Graveson thinks highly of them, but certain aspects of the design have left me with questions best answered by a person with first-hand experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.