cables for esl speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did some tests using coax a while ago:

Using standard 1.5^2 mm

ESLimp1.jpg

RG213 koax

ESLimp2.jpg

30deg lower phaseshift and 25% lower impedance at ~18kHz using the coax on my hybrid speakers.

/R

Well, coax has low stray inductance due to very good coupling as well as: Symmetric stripline
W=10 mm
t=0.5mm
s=0.1 mm
Z=1.8 Ohm
W=30 mm
Z=0.6 Ohm
W=100 mm... 0.18 Ohm
Er=4
Interleaving striplines one can easily reduce it few times... but amplifier will see such impedance except for relatively low frequencies
Impednce of 1.5 mm sq. cable (a pair of conductors) is around 80 Ohms
So the cable, where one can change L/C ratio seems to be smart thing to do

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I made these 12AWG speaker cables from two runs of CAT3 (afaik, same geometry as CAT5) and two runs of stranded CAT5 patch cords with the intention of getting lower inductance cables at the expense of higher capacitance. They are not difficult to make (compared to some other twisted-pair schemes), and CAT3 can often be found as surplus.

One day soon, I hope to measure their R, L, and C per foot and compare against some other types I have.

Attachments

• CAT3 cable close.JPG
    CAT3 cable close.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 172
wire for esl`s

a few years ago when i was upgrading a pair of dayton wright XG-8 III speakers.
i thought i would remove the 30 foot hv wires running from the st-300 transformer
unit and wire the 50 lb transformers directly to the back of the speaker.
instead of improved response i had very little bass but lot`s of mids
so i added 1 foot of wire now i had tons of bass and little mids i added another foot of wire and i could change the response from no bass to lots of bass same with mids and highs.the DWs were very sensitive to small changes in inductance and possibly
resistance.i find most esl`s like silver wire i have rewired my quad 57 and 988
with great results.my own diy wires are 40 strands of 30g silver teflon braided per leg.
ps if any of you out there are using DW xg-8 or xg-10 you can improve the highs
by using argon instead of sulferhexafroride it is 5 times heavier than air inert
will mass load the speakers for bass and because it is half as heavy as sulferhexafloride it will allow more highs to come through. it`s also cheaper.

a few years ago when i was upgrading a pair of dayton wright XG-8 III speakers.
i thought i would remove the 30 foot hv wires running from the st-300 transformer
unit and wire the 50 lb transformers directly to the back of the speaker.
instead of improved response i had very little bass but lot`s of mids
so i added 1 foot of wire now i had tons of bass and little mids i added another foot of wire and i could change the response from no bass to lots of bass same with mids and highs.snip.

That's an unexpected finding.*

Ben
*I'm just trying to be cute. Different forums have very different rules for expressing extreme skepticism. Not clear to me why there should be such a monumental change in tone in going from up-close ("directly") to one foot.... OK, just being cute again.

Last edited:
wire for esl`s

the sulpherhexafloride and argon density came from mike wright himself.
mike said the gas was 10 times heavier than air in the XG-8 manual
and it is available through medical gas suppliers.i probably still ave a address in my files.
.as to the very large changes in sound, the dayton wright was able to change more than any other esl and the changes were extreme. the only mod to the XG-8 was the
elimination of the long cables coming off the transformer housing.
as to why the extreme sound changes perhaps the short wire was forming a resonance
with the transformer?

Argon has 1.87 g/l, xenon & SF6 around 6g/l
The latter two are unobtainable.

Actually, they're not hard to get at all. Xenon is more expensive, but will get you high. SF6 is quite nontoxic and has the opposite effect when breathed as helium- you end up sounding like that bass singer from the Temptations.

The reason SF6 was used in the DW was its very high dielectric breakdown which allows a higher polarization voltage. Disadvantage is greater HF losses (thus the horrid little Motorola piezo tack-on) and that any sparks cause fluorine generation which is extremely hazardous. Replacing it with a different gas in the DW is not a good idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.