Cable Directionality (Moved Threadjacking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you beleive that wire has audibly significant directionality/asymmetry, then why would you want to align the wires in a loop -- such as that from amplifier to speaker and back -- in the same direction relative to the current, as proponents of directionality seem to promote? This would make the asymmetric distortion of the wire double that of one-half the length. If the wire was reversed in direction half-way through, the asymmetry in each direction would cancel, so the wire would have symmetric response.
Either directional cables are bad design -- since they could be made to not asymetrically distort by reversing half, or asymmetrical distortion is desired for audio, in which case you should improve your system by adding more in, or wire directionality is bunk.

fdegrove said:
Yes, resisting to try instead of talking about it.

What relevance has my trying anything to do with specific claims made as to physical causes?

Your bad luck, I do have a very good memory so I do remember discussing this before here.

I told you then that I don't have the answer for that but I know for a fact that the effect is real, not imagined.

You don't have the answer?

This is due to crystal annealing and the effect can be lessened by cryo treatment.

That doesn't sound like "I don't have the answer" to me.

Are you trying to mislead people with these claims or what?

se

It is the usual story. Those who claim cable directionalty and
other obscure things seems not able to distinguish between
the effect and the reason.

Just because one refutes their explanation doesn't mean
one necessarily rejects the possibility that the effect might
still be there. However, this seems to be difficult to understand
for some. Perhaps cables are directional, but current models
are not sufficient to explain it, or certain parametes are
overlooked. Not that I think cables are directional (for AC
that is) but I won't go as far as to claim they couldn't be.

If this is the case - I have a hard time believing so - , wouldn't this be a QC error?

Depends on which way the coil is wound, eh? Or in the case of refrigerator magnets (which normally consist of a stack of two or more magnets to knock down the field, so they're not a true N-S simple dipole), the way in which the back of the speaker was approached. I suspect the latter.

Regarding crystals, directivity, and AC signals, having spent my share of time in wire factories and playing around with my home system, I'm also mystified about what you're saying. I must indeed be the village idiot.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

That doesn't sound like "I don't have the answer" to me.

It just doesn't constitute any scientific proof to me...if it looks like an acceptable explanation to you then fine, to me it doesn't.

Are you trying to mislead people with these claims or what?

Why not do the homework for a change ISO being a lazy bumm?

I did suggest trial and error analysis before, or did I?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
It just doesn't constitute any scientific proof to me...if it looks like an acceptable explanation to you then fine, to me it doesn't.

Then why did you make the claim? Again, are you just trying to mislead people?

Why not do the homework for a change ISO being a lazy bumm?

Because I'm not the one who made the claim. Since you're the one who made the claim, the homework is yours, not mine.

I did suggest trial and error analysis before, or did I?

And how does my listening to cables in different directions tell me or anyone else whether or not the phenomenon is due to crystal annealing as you claimed?

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Regarding crystals, directivity, and AC signals, having spent my share of time in wire factories and playing around with my home system, I'm also mystified about what you're saying. I must indeed be the village idiot.

Maybe I'm the VI for knowing things you guys don't then?

Give it a rest folks, you're really starting to look silly.

Again, are you just trying to mislead people?

In what way? For asking them to try it out?

Nice try,:D

there Is An Expert Born Every Minute..................

To all you arm-chair experts who insist that music is AC and that cables cannot be directional, try, just try reversing the direction of one of your interconnects or speaker wires.

In my experience this causes an image sideways shift that cannot be cured with the balance control.
So to my logic this shows that there is some kind of dynamic directional characteristic, but I doubt that it will show up in sinewave testing.

I have also made non-directional interconnects in the past, and this gave the best depth imaging that I have ever heard.

The exact mechanism for directional characteristic is not clear to me but I suspect phonon behaviour to be the culprit, and asymetrical crystal boundaries would influence in this case.

Jocko, thanks for mentioning directional digital cables - I was getting around to that.

Eric.

Re: there Is An Expert Born Every Minute..................

mrfeedback said:
To all you arm-chair experts who insist that music is AC and that cables cannot be directional, try, just try reversing the direction of one of your interconnects or speaker wires.

You mean like how people have tried placing photographs of themselves in their freezers and found that to result in substantial improvements in their audio systems?

How exactly does simply trying something establish that there's actually anything going on at the physical level which could have any sort of audible effect?

Since it's entirely within the realm of possibility that such perceptions may be due entirely to psychologocal aspects, how exactly do you go about ruling that out other than by nothing more than a leap of faith?

In my experience this causes an image sideways shift that cannot be cured with the balance control.
So to my logic this shows that there is some kind of dynamic directional characteristic, but I doubt that it will show up in sinewave testing.

What sort of testing do you reckon it would show up in?

The exact mechanism for directional characteristic is not clear to me but I suspect phonon behaviour to be the culprit, and asymetrical crystal boundaries would influence in this case.

What exactly leads you to suspect phonon behavior?

se

fdegrove said:
For telling them that the cause is due to crystal annealing.

And it is...but what do you care?

So first you say that it is, then you say you don't have the answer, then you say you don't believe that it's due to crystal annealing, now you say it is due to crystal annealing. :xeye:

I'd care because I've an interest in physical phenomena. And if there was anything to the crystal annealing claim, I'd be interested in reading more about it.

Happy listening to CUO2, right?

I'm happy listening to music. Which a thin film of copper oxide on the wire doesn't seem to get in the way of.

Mr. Eddy you're baiting or at least trying to. It makes you look small to me and no doubt a dozen other members.

Baiting? Not at all. I'm simply holding you to the same standard that yourself and several others are always so keen to hold me to. Do you feel you should somehow be exempt from those same standards?

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

You mean like how people have tried placing photographs of themselves in their freezers and found that to result in substantial improvements in their audio systems?

You mean like closed minded people who aren't even willling to try?

How exactly does simply trying something establish that there's actually anything going on at the physical level which could have any sort of audible effect?

Prove the contrary for a change...

Organise a group listening session, whatever...

Maybe just listening to those who have actually done just that may help too???

Bloody hell!!:dead:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

So first you say that it is, then you say you don't have the answer, then you say you don't believe that it's due to crystal annealing, now you say it is due to crystal annealing.

Really?

No way, I only said I didn't have any hard proof for it other than experience and whatever I have from manufacturer FB doesn't constitute proof to me.

Which a thin film of copper oxide on the wire doesn't seem to get in the way of.

Makes people wonder how much your missing already...skin effect starts right there...

Ciao,;)

The Boy Cries 'Wolf, AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and ......................

Steve, photographs in frezers are nothing to do with this discussion.
Everytime there is a subject that you cannot or will not even attempt to understand you mention photographs in freezers, and worse still you do not ever try the experiments mentioned.
I suggest you go back to AA (that is if they will take you back) and bore everyone there with your antics.

Eric.

Suggestion - go and do some investigation and research of your own on this subject and enlighten us all with your new found wisdom.
Go and discuss sonic psychological effects with your physchiatrist.

fdegrove said:
You mean like closed minded people who aren't even willling to try?

Quit beating that "try it" dead horse, Frank. It's not about trying. I could try this or that all day long and experience it sounding different this way versus that way. That does nothing in itself to establish one way or the other whether or not my experience is due to anything physical going on in the equipment.

I do quite a number of things simply because to me, they sound better even though there's no readily explainable reason for them to sound any different at all. But because all I ultimately care about when it comes to listening to music is how it sounds to me, I don't care whether my experience is due to physics or psychology.

And to that end, I neither assume nor claim that my experience has anything to do with physics.

But here you've made a declarative statement regarding the physics behind what some perceive as the directionality of wire. That goes beyond the realm of "it just sounds better to me." You're telling everyone here that this is the actual physical cause of wire directionality.

Prove the contrary for a change...

Organise a group listening session, whatever...

Maybe just listening to those who have actually done just that may help too???

Help what? A group listening session would no more prove the veracity of your claim regarding crystal annealing than attending a Klan rally would prove the veracity of the claim that blacks are genetically inferior to whites.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.