C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness

i was thinking about the bild sequence and share it.
1: put the sides and top and bottem together and put the speaker baffle and the "c"pannels in
2:make the square "b"and put it in.
3:make the square "a"and put it in.
finnish of the rest

btw i drew up a and b squares mitre cuts,but you can make it square and cut/plane the angle of later.
cubic%20hoek.png

anyhoe ,that the way i would bild it.

hope you get wel soon.

Last edited:
any news justin?

Still cruising along nicely. Many thanks out to you for your efforts & assistance - couldn't have done it without you! (Don't know why I wasn't getting email notifications for this thread)

I've since upgraded amplifiers. Makes a very nice (and noticeable) difference.

This configuration (in the photo below) fills the 300+ capacity venue quite nicely.

Attachments

• EPA30 at Badlands File Aug 09, 7 57 40 PM.jpg
    EPA30 at Badlands File Aug 09, 7 57 40 PM.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 696
Reactions: 1 user
Did a show with DLR (of Dispatch Recordings, Metalheadz, etc) at a two story venue (we had such a great time carrying all the gear up two flights). Although we had a lot of subtractive EQ work to do, cutting some frequencies 6-7dB - placement and and acoustics were in our favor that night for the bottom-end. I was getting text messages like, "The alley wall is going to fall off," from guests as they were walking up to the venue.

(Looks like diya uploaded a few pictures improperly rotated, due to size constraints. Rotate the first two pictures 90* clockwise and the fifth picture 180*)

We went with this 4-high stack (first picture; second picture shows a chair for scale). Rattled light fixtures loose after a quick soundcheck (third picture). They duct taped them shut. About mid-show, the tape could no longer hold. Other guests were laughing at their hats vibrating on their heads or how their nose hairs kept tickling. Even at the back of the room (fourth picture), pressures were happily intense. You can get a pretty clear idea of room size with the last photo (taken from the stage). The venue's sound guy & bartender admitted they had never heard or felt sound like that before. It was clean and effortless low-end - didn't have to run them near their limits either. I loved the total-body-massage experience. Feet, legs, chest. It was serious. Unforgettable.

Attachments

• 4-high.jpg
    4-high.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 679
  • 4-high w_chair.jpg
    4-high w_chair.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 667
  • Light fixtures.jpg
    Light fixtures.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 642
  • Back of room.jpg
    Back of room.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Mid crowd.jpg
    Mid crowd.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 287
  • Three quarters back.jpg
    Three quarters back.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 243
  • From on stage.jpg
    From on stage.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 339
CRESCENDO, went back a few pages in this thread to see what you finally built. The last talk was about opting between "a 5 fold design and the original plan".

Can we have pointers to your final build plans, bracing, driver (impedance as well) and amp which you used in this particular gig?

Thanks.

My most recent post prior to this page was Post #775, showing some internal pictures. Epa posted the CAD files in Post #773.

He includes bracing info in his post, which he setup really nice for CNC. I just made bracing of my own as I moved along. The only brace I made cut-outs for (aka hollowed out) was the largest brace, visible in the mouth. I'll attach a few more photos here.

I'm using the 18SW115-8. Powering them with a QSC PL380 (stereo, approx 1500W available to each driver) and a Crown XTi6002 (bridged). I hate the signal lights on the XTi (they react slowly, they're all the same color (exc for clip) and the markings are not easily visible), so that's one reason I'm using the PL380 in stereo mode - their gains are matched, so I use the PL380 signal lights as a reference for the bridged 6002. The other reason is damping factor stays up with 8 ohm loads and short (9-10') 12AWG speaker cable runs, so I wanted to experiment with that as well (as I had been using longer cable runs and bridged amplifiers before, which lowers damping factor significantly (the long speaker cables & lower impedance due to wiring drivers in parallel). I'll experiment with a bridged PL380 (keeping speaker cable short) next, so that I'm not running the amp to its limit, as the drivers can take more for house-music shows, now that I have the bridged 6002 familiarized.

Attachments

• IMG_2668*.jpg
    IMG_2668*.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    910.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2573.jpg
    IMG_2573.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    973.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2589*.jpg
    IMG_2589*.jpg
    854.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2595*.jpg
    IMG_2595*.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 257
Wow! Thank you, CRESCENDO for all the info. This certainly looks like a better cab than XoC1 TH18.

I wonder if a 4ohm would have been better in terms of per channel power, the caveat of lower damping notwithstanding.

What other drivers are suitable for this cab? I read about an RCF model. Others? Thank you. I have made my choice of cab. It's the drivers now.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you, CRESCENDO for all the info.

My pleasure. Don't forget to thank epa for his hard work, flexibility, patience and determination. And Djim for his wise suggestions and cone correction input, among other helpful things.

This certainly looks like a better cab than XoC1 TH18.

Better? The Xoc1 is still a great cab. Tame those out-of-band peaks and it smooths out the sound quite nicely. These still do damage.

I wonder if a 4ohm would have been better in terms of per channel power, the caveat of lower damping notwithstanding.

Not with my previous amps - they didn't have adequate power output in stereo at 4 ohms. I had to run them bridged to get the power I was after. With these new amps, yes. I'd prefer the 4-ohm variants. I could use slightly less expensive amps. Maybe. If I found those less expensive amps could sustain long-term power output.

What other drivers are suitable for this cab? I read about an RCF model. Others? Thank you. I have made my choice of cab. It's the drivers now.

The LF18X451 models well, IIRC. Probably the 18NLW9601 as well. I'll check more when I get to that computer tomorrow if I can. What drivers do you get good deals on?

Last edited:
The LF18X451 models well, IIRC. Probably the 18NLW9601 as well. I'll check more when I get to that computer tomorrow if I can. What drivers do you get good deals on?[/QUOTE]

I think that the Faital 18XL1800 will be good with very high Xmax 20.17mm, Fs 29 Hz and AES Power Handling 1600 W :)

note that 4 ohm drivers give different result,then 8 ohm drvrs

Yes, I feel this often gets overlooked. I've also noticed a lot of vendors (US, EU, UK websites, etc) list the 8-ohm T/S parameters on the 4-ohm driver order page. I've had to request the 4-ohm datasheets directly from the manufaturer/company representative. So, be careful - most companies have only the 8-ohm driver info on their website available to download.

Thank you CRESCENDO, epa and djim for your invaluable inputs and hard work in developing such an awesome TH design.

I have looked for availability of drivers and have found that 18 Sound 18NLW9000, 18NLW9601, Faital XL1800, XL1600, B&C 15SW115-8, among others are readily available. All are 8 ohm versions only. Price does vary quite a bit, but I don't mind going for the costliest which is 18 Sound 18NLW9000. I want to make a minimum of 4 cabs and a maximum of 6 cabs. Although I already have amps which can deliver a maximum of 1200 watts per channel, it would be best to have bridged amps delivering higher power into each cab. So I will go for new amps as well.

Question is, which driver from the ones listed, as well as not listed performs best. I am looking for solid response down to 30 Hz without losing impact in the 80-90 Hz region.

Please chime in. I would really appreciate your suggestions, post which I will choose one driver, optimize the cab with your help and build. Thank you all.