C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness

I forgot that the opening was smaller. After looking back at the drawings I can see I will have to route out the cone area or have a larger spacer. What is S2 if I add a 6mm spacer to the 18mm?

I know this will alter the length also. I am wanting to make sure that nothing will be in the way of the cone. SO I would have to route out 12mm from the baffle. That would only leave 6mm. And this design is very well braced but I dont like the thought of only having 6mm left. I could route only 8mm and always pay attention to what I am doing. That would be 26mm. I dont think I would ever run this driver that hard. I am sure I may push the limits sometime but I dont think I have an amplifier that can push it that hard yet.

SO 30mm would be nice to have. BUT if I have to, 25mm will have to do.

depends if the surround is flush with frame.
most drivers the frame is a few mm higher then the top of the suround.
then 30mm is absolute max,i wouldn't suggest to go there.
i gues 22to 25 wil do,
so you eihter ticken the spacer and/or route out a bit of the bafle.
would have litle effect on the output.

I would never take it to 30mm. I will most likely max out at 20mm and that wont happen very often if ever. I will most likely listen to the sub around 5mm and when pushing it maybe 16mm. BUT it is nice knowing that I have nothing to worry about for any accidental transients. So I will add the extra thickness for safe keeping.

The surround is pretty close to the same height as the frame. BUT there is a dense foam/rubber gasket along the mounting circle. I am sure it would compress when installed. I dont think it would compress very much though. I will have a rubber gasket on top of that also. SO I may get away with a smaller addition to the spacer ringer. Will take some pictures in a few hours of the gasket mounting ring and surround.

Here was the close up picture of the 21's frame and gasket. Never used this driver before so it is new to me. I will make a cut list tonight and see if I can get a few pieces cut up over the weekend. Hopefully I have some scrap wood I can use. If not I will be cutting up an old TH that should have enough for me to get started.

IMAG4795_zpshidjivdx.jpg

Sorry for the huge size picture.

OK thanks. After chopping up my old TH I will see if I can build the external shell of the cabinet and the baffle. Once everything fits I will I will proceed to build the rest of the cabinet from the baffle/throat and out.

EPA where would you put handles on this cabinet? Corners?

I was think about how to move this and was curious. I always use a 2 wheel dolley to move all my subwoofers but was curious if I decided to add them later.

SO from what it looks like I have on hand I should be able to build the yellow, red and baffle board section and possibly more out of marine ply. If I do have any extra sections it wont do much on this design. So maybe just one more piece. BUT not four which is needed.

Should be fun. Will get started in a few days. Have to finishing cutting up the old TH cabinet first. Also looked at possibly making a router table.

Anyways for anyone that is not up to speed I am following EPA's drawing here.

Cool design! One question: Would not the symmetrical nature of this design possibly induce standing waves/ringing inside the cabinet? While I like the cubeish look, it will likely cause some problems at gigs where you need to get them through standard doors.

Will be interesting to hear reports!

Ok so things are taking longer than I thought. My horned subwoofer does not want to come apart. I guess thats a good thing. I was hoping to use some of the ply that I have in it but I dont know how that will work. I am still cutting it apart.

Also just looked at marine ply prices and happy to see that instead of 120 a sheet they are now 150 dollars a sheet. :(

SO ya I will buy a few pieces of wood and slowly get this thing built.

Things are on hold for a few weeks. I had my parents come visit for about 10days and that was a very busy time. Then as they left I got sick for 10 days. Just started to feel better on Thursday so I decided to play basketball. Thinking hopefully I will feel back to normal after basketball. So right at the end I somehow dislocated my index finger. The very tip of the finger was dislocated while also causing a tear in the skin and slightly lacerating an artery. :(

So ya progress has been slow. Sadly!!. I hope to get started again before Xmas. I will attempt to do the baffle and first section that attaches to the baffle hopefully very soon.