Bybee Quantum Purifier Measurements and Double Blind Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that I have data.

The part being discussed is made of a separate quantum device

Honestly John, you really are preaching phlogiston. If you are going to make a claim of a 'quantum device', then eliminate the snake oil and provide data supporting a quantum device. SY's data, it appears, will never satisfy you, but at least he provides some measurable and provable data. Measuring DC resistance does not a quantum anything make.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Okay, well just spitballing this around. If the shell is what gives the quantum aspect to this, I'm just curious if the shell's inside diameter, outside diameter or even some region in the middle has been doped to be an n-p junction, or n-p-n junction or some combo of junctions.

Whether anything like that is even possible to manufacture, I don't know. What effect it would have on a signal passing through the slightly inductive resistor, I don't know either. I'm just guessing.

SY said:
20GHz. We have a nice R&S GVB20 in the lab. As you'd expect, a series L of a few nH, a series R of 30m-ohm, and a shunt cap of a pF or so, and not significantly different than the cheap resistor I sourced from Mouser or Digikey. Not that any of this is relevant to audio, but since that seemed to be the last straw you were grasping, I thought it would be entertaining to look.
Big mistake. What does a sig gen produce (or an oscillator inside a VNA or similar test equipment)? A signal. The Bybee is designed to pass signals unchanged, so of course you measured almost nothing. You should have fed it noise; then it would have removed it. The interesting question is whether it can distiguish between genuine random noise and PRBS or some other quasi-random noise. Of course, you must not refer to the noise as a signal within the Bybees's hearing because then the demon will treat it as a signal.

kelticwizard said:
What effect it would have on a signal passing through the slightly inductive resistor, I don't know either. I'm just guessing.
Expose a signal to an unbiased p-n junction and the most likely effect is distortion.

Last edited:
They aren't patented. The myth is that they are classified technology (which is utter nonsense). The reality is that the disclosure would demonstrate clearly that it's a fraud, which would have saved Cal Weldon a couple hundred bucks and me quite a few hours of measurement time confirming that the little gizmos do nothing other than enrich Jack Bybee and give John something to tweak people about.

When you're selling a story, you can't spoil it by telling the truth.

Mine seem to do no harm, and seem to take the edge out of long term listening.
This is the arena where these sort of modifications work. The "edge", more correctly a type of playback distortion, which is also the mechanism which makes "bad" recordings sound really bad, is what has to be resolved, sorted out - to take audio beyond the normal level of quality experienced ...

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Shell? What do you mean?

The white ceramic tube which surrounds the slightly inductive resistor. The ceramic tube itself is covered with some packing material and then a black plastic sleeve.

My guess is that some part of that tube-the inner circumference, the outer circumference or somewhere in between-might be a pn junction. I have no idea if it is possible to manufacture a pn junction like that, but that's my best guess about making the device quantum.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...fier-measurements-double-blind-test-bybee.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Big mistake. What does a sig gen produce (or an oscillator inside a VNA or similar test equipment)? A signal. The Bybee is designed to pass signals unchanged, so of course you measured almost nothing. You should have fed it noise; then it would have removed it..
But of course!! How could SY have missed that? It's right there in all the claims. It removes noise. You'd never see an effect with a signal. Were is that head-slap icon?

SY, we gotta get some more (the right ones this time) and do the proper test.

This is the arena where these sort of modifications work. The "edge", more correctly a type of playback distortion, which is also the mechanism which makes "bad" recordings sound really bad, is what has to be resolved, sorted out - to take audio beyond the normal level of quality experienced ...

what? you want even the bad recording to sound nice? shouldn't you just change to a better recorded music instead?:eek::sing:

Status
Not open for further replies.